This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need an expert for this toughie

I have two store bought DVD's (same title) that I own.. One is in anamorphic widescreen 2:35 but only dolby surround.
    The other same title with same running time is in DTS 5.1/DD5.1 but in 1:33 full screen . ( That title I refer to is NOT available in letterbox to buy).
    Question can I rip them both and swap audio tracks??? using DVDFab??
    if so,, what should I be aware of?? apart from lip synch out by a hair or more?

Originally posted by chauncey View Post
    I have two store bought DVD's (same title) that I own.. One is in anamorphic widescreen 2:35 but only dolby surround.
    The other same title with same running time is in DTS 5.1/DD5.1 but in 1:33 full screen . ( That title I refer to is NOT available in letterbox to buy).
    Question can I rip them both and swap audio tracks??? using DVDFab??
    if so,, what should I be aware of?? apart from lip synch out by a hair or more?

It can be done, but not with just DVDFab... you'll have to do two rips (one with dolby surround, one with DTS 5.1), then you'll need a utility to demultiplex the video and audio from each stream, swap the audio files, and then re-multiplex them together again (hopefully the utility you choose can offset the audio/video timing marks to clear any slight sync problems).

None of this so far carries over the subtitles or menus...those you'll have to do yourself... (not to mention all the navigation info you'll be missing from working with just the video/audio streams...)

Probably much easier to select the audio you like, and live with the video that accompanies it (and will take a lot less time to do).

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I'd go with the anamorphic widescreen 2:35 ... Dolby 5.1 .....

Agree with DarthCopier, the DTS can't be worth all that effort even if you got it to work.
      AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

sorry should have stated that the dts and the 5.1 are one dvd.. (1:33.1)

the other is 2:35.1 and dolby surround ..

Don't care if it is 5.1 or DTS but not 1:33 ...

so its not just a simple procedure as swapping audio folders after the rip??
        ... before the .avi conversion???

Comment

Any chance of getting the name of this movie but yes it not a simple procedure to swap audio as it takes a lot of time and patients to do

Comment

Originally posted by chauncey View Post
            sorry should have stated that the dts and the 5.1 are one dvd.. (1:33.1)

the other is 2:35.1 and dolby surround ..

Don't care if it is 5.1 or DTS but not 1:33 ...

so its not just a simple procedure as swapping audio folders after the rip??
            ... before the .avi conversion???

As AGJ suggests, no...it ain't simple.

If you take a look at the AUDIO_TS folder in either a store-bought or ripped DVD, you'll find that it's empty.

At one time in the far-distant past, the audio for the DVD was in that folder...but it was soon discovered that the audio and video streams could be 'multiplexed' together (two streams in one file - actually, more than two, but that's another discussion)...and the presence of the AUDIO_TS folder has been maintained to keep backwards compatibility with older players.

There are also timing marks in both the audio and video streams, so upon presentation of the video (what you see on screen), the audio & video timing marks match, and sound and picture are in sync.

There are no guarantees that both your DVDs start at EXACTLY the same point, and syncing the video from one with the audio from another could be a real headache - plus, if you could, the resultant file would have to be re-authored to include nav data and a re-creation if the IFO files, needed by the player for proper playback, plus re-breaking the one large file back to the 1 Gb files needed by set-top machines for playback.

Much easier to leave well-enough alone and bite the bullet on the display ratio .

If you decide to attempt it anyways, please let us know, and we'll check with you in a couple of weeks to see how you're progressing...

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 01-14-2010, 01:16 AM.

Comment

The movie is Annie from 1982 ..

Comment

It's not really going to help what title it is because Fab will just not do this.

As has been said, you will need to demux, reauthor, remux and Fab, IN NO WAY, is designed for this.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I checked around and could only find one DVD that had both Fullscreen and widescreen but only said english for the audio but here is link for Amazon.ca where I found it http://www.amazon.ca/Annie-Widescree...3433802&sr=1-5 but Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Widescre...3433895&sr=1-3 say the audio is dolby digital 2.0 surround sound for the same movie but both widescreen/fullscreen. It kinda sucks not having the audio you want for the screen size you like especially a good old movie like this one

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                    It's not really going to help what title it is because Fab will just not do this.

As has been said, you will need to demux, reauthor, remux and Fab, IN NO WAY, is designed for this.
                    sure knowing the movie not help with it but does help with checking around to find a more recent release that may have the widescreen and audio wanted to save the time and trouble of reauthoring the movie files

Comment

Chauncey,

I would do it!!! You will learn a lot about the whole process. Even if you end up with some sync problems. And you will spend a lot of time getting it to work. But in the end you will have learned a lot about Video files, Demuxing, ReMuxing etc.

Comment

Excellent post(s) DarthCopier .. you have very little posts, but much knowledge ....

Originally posted by Karloff View Post
                        I would do it!!! You will learn a lot about the whole process. Even if you end up with some sync problems. And you will spend a lot of time getting it to work. But in the end you will have learned a lot about Video files, Demuxing, ReMuxing etc.
                        Yep it will be quite the learning experience !!
                        Last edited by AlienX69; 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM.
                        AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Originally posted by AlienX69 View Post
                          Excellent post(s) DarthCopier .. you have very little posts, but much knowledge ....

Yep it will be quite the learning experience !!

Yeah...I used to contribute back on the CDFreaks forum, but I'm a late starter here.

Changed my username, too, just to keep people guessing.

If enough people want to know, I may let it leak later on.

DC

Comment

Working...
                          X