This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will only accept double layer

Out of the blue the program started telling me that it would not accept single layer only double layer. I changed the setting to DVD 5, and it replied I was not eligible for that. I've read through these posts and have not found a solution. Thanks

The paid version has expired and reverted to the free version.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

The solution may be that you are using the trial version and it has expired.

It then reverts to the free version which is dvd9 only.
      No compression. No burning.

If I am wrong with my assumption please post some information so you can get help.

Comment

I have a paid subscription. I entered the registration number again and it the situation did not change. Does the subscription run out?. Does it need to be renewed? Will this solve my problem?

Comment

Unless you bought a lifetime license it will expire at some point. Click the question mark and check.
          Last edited by 90312; 01-16-2010, 07:51 PM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I renewed my subscription and now will see if the program will work.

Comment

Nope, this guy is right...this is definitely a bug. I have been a subscriber since 3.x (Platinum). I just reinstalled on my latest rebuild of my machine, applied for a new license, and everything is marked as "never expire." Even when DVD5 is selected, it always demands a dual layer disc. I did not have this problem with previous releases of 6.x (nor 5.x).

It's not an expired subscription...it's a bug (I know the signs...professional software developer for 15 years :-) ).

Please let us know when a patch is available. I am currently dumping any single layer burns I want to do to the hard drive until this is fixed. Thanks.

Comment

Before you declare this a bug, which it's clearly not or there would be thousands of such complaints, check in comon settings under "WRITE" and see if the default size is 4920MB if so change to the 4300MB setting and try. The program may simply be trying to write more than 4.38GB to a SL disc.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I have my Write size set to 4472MB and do not have any problems burning to a SL blank also from a few updates back fengtao made the default burn size larger than 4472mb which could be the problem as 903212 has mentioned
                  Last edited by AGJ; 01-19-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

The whole point behind being able to set a custom/specific size for a SL disc is to achieve specificity. I've had mine set to 4490 since 3.x, and it's worked just great. In any case, if the size to be burned is greater than the specified disc size, whatever it is, compression should be applied to get it to the specified size.

The way this is working now is different from every previous release. If you don't want to label it a bug, then fine, call it an "undocumented feature" or whatever. The reality is that the behavior has changed in this latest release. In my experience, if behavior changes and it's not specified in the latest release notes and documentation, it's called a bug.

FWIW, it's not a sin to call out a bug...it improves software quality and any developer worth their salt would want to know about an issue. I think DVDFab is hands-down the best general use DVD burning software on the market, hence the reason that I use it. But, in my opinion, this is a bug, plain and simple.

In the meantime, to get around the issue, I've been extracting the DVD image to an ISO and then burning it to disc via Nero. It works just great at the 4490 size setting.

That said, thanks for the advice around the 4472 size setting...I will try it out and see if the issue disappears. That's close enough to the custom setting that I normally use for it not to make a big difference. :-)
                    Last edited by Grez; 01-19-2010, 07:16 AM.

Comment

So you use the 4490mb setting OK I will give that a try now to see if it will work as I never have had any problems with DVDFab and I will use Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End as the test DVD. I will edit this post when I am finished to post the results

EDIT: I as well get the insert a Double Layer DVD using the write size of 4490MB but then I tried 4482MB which is a default size for an old outdated freeware program and it worked so this could be a bug with DVDFab but need a developer to say if it is or not.
                      Last edited by AGJ; 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM.

Comment

You should be fine at 4472. Bottom line is any folder larger than 4.38GB will not fit on a single layer disc. I just ripped a disc using the 4920 to the HDD and the folder was 4.80, larger than 4.38 and it asked me for a DL disk when I attempted to burn to a SL disc. Whatever you set the "WRITE" value to is the level of compression Fab will use. 4.38GB is 4500 plus a little so 4472 is a good size, it will keep you away from the outer edge of the disc where most errors occur.
                        Last edited by 90312; 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                          So you use the 4490mb setting OK I will give that a try now to see if it will work as I never have had any problems with DVDFab and I will use Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End as the test DVD. I will edit this post when I am finished to post the results

EDIT: I as well get the insert a Double Layer DVD using the write size of 4490MB but then I tried 4482MB which is a default size for an old outdated freeware program and it worked so this could be a bug with DVDFab but need a developer to say if it is or not.
                          What size is the folder AGJ? 4490 should not have gone over the 4.38 limit?

Yep, I tried 4490 and it came out 4,708,671,488 it did not compress enough and won't fit a SL disc.
                          Last edited by 90312; 01-19-2010, 08:59 AM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey guys...I received similar results to both of you. I plugged in the ol' 4472 size (which, not to date myself, but I've always found hilarious, as it's my birthday), burned a backup of The Hangover (the version I have fits easily on a SL if you don't include the 4:3 ratio crap), and it fired right up.

Switch things back to 4490...gripe city from DVDFab. Methinks we've found an issue.

Comment

The only issue I've found is my incorrect binary math. Keep in mind that manufacturers quote the capacity of a writable DVD disc in decimal (base 10) rather than binary (base 2) notation so a 4.7 GB disc stores 4.7 billion bytes [4:700,000,000 bytes ÷ 1000 = 4,700,000 KB ÷ 1000 = 4,700 MB ÷ 1000 = 4.7 GB] . Expressed in binary notation (as is typical with DVD-R, DVD-RW and most operating systems) the same disc has a capacity of roughly 4.38 GB [4:700,000,000 bytes ÷ 1024 = 4,589,844 KB ÷ 1024 = 4,482.27 MB ÷ 1024 = 4.38 GB] so 4,490 is indeed too big for a single layer disc. All is as it should be.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X