Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Media player (not a stand alone dvd player)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media player (not a stand alone dvd player)

My question to all the brainy people who take their time to help cluless people like myself:

Some dvd discs have cinavia protection. My back up DVD+R's and DVD DL's run into this cinevia audio issue when I play them in my stand alone bluray players. Yes, old dvd players don't have this problem. But, the video quality isn't the same.
    So, I am wondering if resonably priced media players are available in US that will work flawlessly. I'd like to be able to rip original dvds to my computer's hard drive, then transfer these files (movies) to this media player thru usb port. Then, connect the player to my tv thru hdmi input, select the movie I want and watch it without worrying cinevia.
    Is this doable?

Thanks.

I forgot to mention it.
    I won't be streaming anything from Internet. I want this media player to act as an external HD with built-in video decoder that play video files.

Comment

Many Blu-ray disc players, even Sony Blu-ray disc players, offer the ability to play Cinavia infested .MKV files stored and accessed via USB HDD without triggering the players Cinavia circuit...

Cheers
      I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
      I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

My new SONY set top player will play mkv infected files through the USB port just fine.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          My new SONY set top player will play mkv infected files through the USB port just fine.
          Out of interest... Which Sony model did you get?
          I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
          I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

It's a BDP S5500 3D player w/wireless LAN, not top of the line. Off the shelf at Wal~Mart.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              It's a BDP S5500 3D player w/wireless LAN, not top of the line. Off the shelf at Wal~Mart.
              Another question...

Have you tried playing Cinavia infested .mkv contained files via ethernet?

Comment

skoy, to answer your question a media player will do exactly what you want. I make main movie iso images with no compression to play on mine and never know if a disc has Cinavia unless someone posts about it. I have a couple small external HDD powered by the USB port so shuttling is a snap. I recommend a media player.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry SMD I guess we were typing at the same time. No I haven't tried streaming to it. Don't know if it's capable?

Albert Einstein

Comment

I have 2 bluray players. Sony and Samsung. Basic models. Nothing fancy. Never updated firmware to avoid Cinavia issue. Both stop playing Cinavia affected DVD+R and DL's (actually, muting sound about 20th minute mark,the video stil plays).
                    90312:
                    Any reason you prefer ISO files? Is the video quality still the same?
                    What brand and model media players do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I like iso files because its one file and the video quality is unchanged, not compressed. Nothing is changed so no forced subtitles issues.

I have a Pivos AIOS but I think they may have been discontinued? There are a lot of good ones out there.

Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks for a very quick response.

I checked that media player. out of stock at newegg.com.
                        Now, I own several external portable Hard Drives. My TV has 2 usb ports. If I move these ISO files from computer to these external drives, and connect them to tv via usb port, I should be able to watch them,Right?

Does a media center have an advantage over external drives?
                        Again, I won't stream anything from internet.(living in the sticks, no unlimited internet)

is the video quality same with usb port compared to hdmi port?

Thanks kindly.

Comment

Most of what you ask depends on your TV, if it will play an iso through the port? I don't stream anything so I really can't help with that. You might want to look at MKV Passthrough its pretty much the same as an iso in an MKV container that your TV will most likely play through the port.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Good point. I just checked my tv's capabilities. 2 yr old 70 inch Vizio. The manual says built in media player cannot play from external hard drives. In the past, I tried usb stick with mp4 files and was able to watch them.
                            Now, my bluray players have usb ports. I wonder if I connect the external hard drive to this port, and turn the player on will do the trick.

Comment

Won't take long to find out.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X