Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, how do I set burning to 2x (it burns faster no matter what I set)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, how do I set burning to 2x (it burns faster no matter what I set)

Hi all,

I seem to be getting errors on discs that have been burned a while ago (of course these errors don't show up immediately after burning, only after a few years), so now I'm trying to follow the FAQ's suggestions to not burn anything higher than 2x speed. However, I tried all the writing software, VSO, ImageBurn, Nero 9 (7 seemed to work at 2x) with the setting at 2x speed (but Nero 7 isn't compatible with Windows 7 64-bit), a dialog even comes up to ask if I want to save this as the default speed, I check yes and away it goes and burns at 6-12x speed anyways! What am I missing here?

I'm using name brand (Memorex) DVD-Rs and I guess my daughter's portable Sony DVD player is just picky, but the Disney originals just can't stand up to a 3 year old! ;-) Luckily I have the originals to burn again, but its disappointing to find out that they skip when your out with your kids.

Any suggestions please?

Originally posted by wm_cheng View Post
    Hi all,

I seem to be getting errors on discs that have been burned a while ago (of course these errors don't show up immediately after burning, only after a few years), so now I'm trying to follow the FAQ's suggestions to not burn anything higher than 2x speed. However, I tried all the writing software, VSO, ImageBurn, Nero 9 (7 seemed to work at 2x) with the setting at 2x speed (but Nero 7 isn't compatible with Windows 7 64-bit), a dialog even comes up to ask if I want to save this as the default speed, I check yes and away it goes and burns at 6-12x speed anyways! What am I missing here?

I'm using name brand (Memorex) DVD-Rs and I guess my daughter's portable Sony DVD player is just picky, but the Disney originals just can't stand up to a 3 year old! ;-) Luckily I have the originals to burn again, but its disappointing to find out that they skip when your out with your kids.

Any suggestions please?

The recording speeds you can set are based on the write strategy included on each blank DVD as part of the formatting done to them by the manufacturer.

With certain notable exceptions, there aren't that many that will support a 2X burn speed.

Our usual advice is to select a speed as close to half the max. speed the mfr. puts on the label as can be set by the burning software. (Memorex, for example, usually have a 16X max write speed, meaning burns should be done at 8X).

On a slightly different note, I would also like to suggest a change from Memorex to either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. It'll result in a lot less failed burns, picture problems on playback, and give you a longer life-expectancy for the back-up.

Hope this helps a little...

DC

Comment

Hi wm_cheng and welcome,

Not sure what FAQ you're referring to, but no matter.
      2X is too slow, particularly with modern media and hardware
      Memorex is not reliable media, too many manufacturers, much too inconsistent and frequently just plain crappy.

Even with "decent" burns, marginal or poor quality media is much more likely to degrade quickly so that the decent burn you have now, may not be so decent in 6-12 months.
      I suspect this is what happened to you.

Not sure of your locale, but Verbatim is a good bet. Can be purchased in many brick & mortar stores and online.
      Taiyo Yuden (my favorite) can only be purchased online for most of us.

Please post one or two burn logs. This will give us much of the info we need to help you such as your burner, firmware, MID (media ID), etc.

The default location is:
      C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi DC, didn't spot you in time...
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
          Hi DC, didn't spot you in time...
          Hi, Tom...I didn't know you were posting, either...

DC

Comment

Thanks so much for the informative and prompt replies!

The FAQ I was referring to is at;

Wow, I can't believe that the discs could degrade in such a short time (6-12months). I just get the discs from the office (I figure its a brand name and the office trusts its data to them - it must be more than ok for personal use!). I don't burn that often, only backup for my daughter's movies cause she's kind of rough on the discs. I remember when CDs first came out there was an ad about a dog chewing them up and scraping them on the floor and it being still able to play!! What happened to those days. I check all my burned media immediately after burning, and they all check out fine then. So is all my old (5-6yr old) data backups in jeopardy? Any good recommended online retailers to purchase Taiyo Yuden media? So with this media, is the VSO engine safe at 8x speed? How long will these last?

Thanks so much!

Comment

Thanks so much for the informative and prompt replies!

The FAQ I was referring to is at;

Wow, I can't believe that the discs could degrade in such a short time (6-12months). I just get the discs from the office (I figure its a brand name and the office trusts its data to them - it must be more than ok for personal use!). I don't burn that often, only backup for my daughter's movies cause she's kind of rough on the discs. I remember when CDs first came out there was an ad about a dog chewing them up and scraping them on the floor and it being still able to play!! What happened to those days. I check all my burned media immediately after burning, and they all check out fine then. So is all my old (5-6yr old) data backups in jeopardy? Any good recommended online retailers to purchase Taiyo Yuden media? So with this media, is the VSO engine safe at 8x speed? How long will these last?

Thanks so much!

Taiyo Yuden is usually only available to purchase online...where I am, here, I lucked out by finding someone who sells them over the counter.

Verbatims should be available from your local brick & mortar electronic outlets, but they are slightly pricier than say, Memorex...but that's offset by their reliability and long life (and lack of coasters...).

Most companies I've known buy office supplies strictly by price (i.e. the cheaper, the better...), but your experiences with video data should give you some clues about the expected lifetime of other data, too.

Re the VSO engine: fine for SL burns...I've never used it for DL burns (instead I use Imgburn...a freebie on the web, and in my opinion, the best burner money can't buy). Taiyo Yudens don't have quite the same high speed burn limits as Memorex - I generally burn at 4X (max. rated for 8X), and they turn out GREAT!! (That's my own opinion...try your own, and see what you think...)

Two other things you might be interested in...many DVD brands aren't made by the name on the label - there's a utility called DVD Identifier that you can use to tell you who made your Memorex DVDs. (Google 'DVD Identifier'...) You may also want to vist www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm. Once you've been there and seen what's there, you'll understand why...

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I buy my Verbatims usually from Best Buy whenever they have them on sale. Just a few weeks ago I picked up 2 of the Verbatim 50 Pack DVD+R discs cause they had them on sale for $12.99 a piece. It's usually those or sometimes they will put the $100 on sale for $24.99. Also same thing with Office Max and Office Depot. You just have to check the local adds and hope they put them on sale. Also you may want to try NewEgg.com

Comment

Is there any preference to DVD-R or +R for video playback on DVD players (specifically Sony portable - they say it supports both formats, but usually there is a preference)?

Comment

Is there any preference to DVD-R or +R for video playback on DVD players (specifically Sony portable - they say it supports both formats, but usually there is a preference)?

For single layer discs, no preference at all. One will play as well as the other (as long as your player supports both formats).

Dual layer discs are another matter altogether. If you decide to attempt one (not difficult to do) stick with just the +R format discs. Each format handles the layer break differently, and the -R is virtually useless for video work.(again, Verbatim +R discs are the ONLY brand we recommend for dual layer recording).

You'll probably find it wise to re-do your little one's collection as soon as you get a good S/L brand, as the Memorex ones will start degrading relatively quickly - (I'm yet to have a TY go bad on me - and I've been at this for quite a while - even though the number of my posts in this forum might hint otherwise, I used to contribute on the 'old' forum on a regular basis).

DC

P.S. If you are going to use +R S/L discs, don't forget to set the book-type to DVD ROM (can be done in the burner software) as sometimes you may have to play the discs in something other than your home machine.

Last edited by DarthCopier; 01-22-2010, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Something that needs to be considered when talking about longevity of writable discs is light. These discs are written by the laser etching an organic light sensitive dye. Exposure to light will eventually kill them, sun light is the worst, and clear jewel boxes are a bad idea. If you want to keep them a long time keep them in the dark.
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks so much! But there's so many kinds of Taiyo Yuden; TruBlu, HardCoat, Blue AZO, Valuline, Watershield and 8x and 16x... which one? Speed isn't a big deal for me, I'd much rather burn slower if it will be more reliable. Some of the discriptions all say the same thing but at different price levels?

Comment

Thanks so much! But there's so many kinds of Taiyo Yuden; TruBlu, HardCoat, Blue AZO, Valuline, Watershield and 8x and 16x... which one? Speed isn't a big deal for me, I'd much rather burn slower if it will be more reliable. Some of the discriptions all say the same thing but at different price levels?

As a rule of thumb, pick the ones you can replace the easiest when you run out... no sense buying a variety that is hard to replace...

Another rule of thumb...the slower you burn, the worse the results...that's why we suggest a normal burn speed of half the rated max speed for whatever brand you buy. (You can fine-tune that when you get more experience...)

Prices are more of an issue for your pocket book - all flavours of Taiyo Yuden are superior (compared to, say, Memorex...) - White Latex paint is no better than red Latex...only difference is the colour...but the difference between Midnight-Paint-Supply latex and Sherwin Williams latex is critical. (if you get my drift...)

Get some, give them a try, and don't be afraid to experiment... that's how we all learned...

DC

Comment

Taiyo Yuden Premium Silver Thermal Lacquer 8X DVD-R Media (Premium Line) 100 Pack in Cake Box

About $30.00 US for 100, the only SL disc I use and I don't miss @ 8X.
                            Last edited by 90312; 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM.
                            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks so much! I WILL!!

Comment

Working...
                              X