This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AHCI and Windows 7

I have been following the post by BIG in General questions and would like to thank everyone for their efforts. I have recently updated to Windows 7 and I have not been able to get DVDFab to recognize a single disk for some time. My symptoms were: with DVDFab running, if I installed a disk, my system would not even see the drive and I would be forced to use task manager to shut the program down. Even then, it would take app 10min for this to happen. If I installed the disk first and then opened up DVDFab, the program would try to scan the disk but the drive would not even spin up. On all disks I tried, results were the same. My system used to work with XP but even then my drives were very finicky with DVDFab. So, following Big's post, after trying everything, it was suggested to turn of AHCI in the bios and go ATA. This worked first try and I backed up 3 disks immediately without one single error and the Plextor drive I was reading with (normally I cussed it), worked flawlessly. I have an older ASUS P5AD2 Premium with the P25x chipset. I have the correct chipset drivers but since Windows had its own AHCI drivers, I did not install my old ones. Even so, running ATA eliminated problems I was having with XP as well. I did notice a performance change (since I am still running a P4) when running programs that cache a lot but, I just reboot after I am done with DVDFab and go back to AHCI. Once again, thanks to BIG and his monster and the forum moderators and members. I am sorry if I broke any forum rules. I did not mean to hijack BIG's post but wanted people to see the the title. I think this is actually the fix for many issues.
    ASUS P5AD2 Premium
    3.4Ghz P4 4Gig Corsair XMS Extreme
    EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR 3
    HP dual layer dvd r/w Plextor 714 cd r/w
    500GB Samsung Spinpoint (and several others)
    I know, it is old but it runs very well.

Ya I'm glad you found a solution. You can learn alot from forums. I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
    4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
    ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
    2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
    LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
    Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

Disabling AHCI isn't so much a solution as it is a workaround...

You may want to try using Intels latest drivers - they do have some fairly recent ones available on their website, even for the older 925 chipset that you are running:

I can't think of anything else at the moment... But personally, I wouldn't be satisfied having disable/re-enable AHCI...

Comment

AHCI and Windows 7

Turk,

Giving the post a more appropriate title will help many find the answer with much ease as opposed to my title.
        Just search "BIG" to find the threads that will lead you into the ATA promise land!! LoL

Good JOB!!

AND THANKS AGAIN to EVERYONE that assisted me!!!.

Monster and I are getting along just fine with FAB!!!!

YEA BABY!!
        Last edited by BIG; 01-22-2010, 02:02 AM.
        CPU 1 Intel Xeon ES5420 @2.5GHz Harptertown 45nm
        CPU 2 Intel Xeon ES5420 @2.5GHz Harptertown 45nm
        8GB Dual In Line Memory Module, 2G, 2X1G, 667, 2R, Error Correction Code
        Intel 5400B Chipset -
        Nvidia Quadro FX 570 2048MB
        Encoding fps-250.xx
        Optical Drive: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA Device - Firmware upgraded

DVDFAB 6.2.2.0-Registered.

Comment

Working...
        X