This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning to Amazon Basics DVD+r 8x 8.5GB

I've gone through about 20 Amazon Basics DVD+r 8x 8.5GB discs and most do not play on most of my players (bad disc error). Although most play on my Samsung DVD/VCR, many do not and with one or two I have to hit Skip and then the main title will start.

The process I follow is to rip Full Disc or Customize, then once on the hard drive rip again to another drive but with play main title setting. I then burn that compilation using InfraRecorder or CDBurnerXP to disc.

I'm not sure what's failing in the process that would cause my players not to recognize the disc. Is it DVDFab and the play main title setting? The burning software? Or discs? I've used the same process with Verbatim and Sony 4.7GB discs and for the most part they work in most of my players, although sometimes the menu comes up instead of playing the main title.

I think when I burn without play main title setting the discs have a greater likelihood of working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The process I follow is to rip Full Disc or Customize, then once on the hard drive rip again to another drive but with play main title setting. I then burn that compilation using InfraRecorder or CDBurnerXP to disc.
    Why ? If you just want Main Title just to that during the first extraction ....

Read the "Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to Work Together" link in my sig and try that

EDIT: I saw that most of your posts have been about DVD to Mobile, assume you haven't done many disc so far. Good media is very important and is based on Media ID's Tayio Yuden is one of he best for SL (single layer), it's all I use, use Verb's/Falcon for DL.
    Last edited by AlienX69; 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM.
    AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Agree with AX, why DL media if just burning the main title, but then again it's your call.

I've read that Amazon +R DL brand is RICOHJPN D01
      They're crap
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I was mainly commenting on why was he processing twice ? EDIT: Think his main problem is "using InfraRecorder or CDBurnerXP" he needs to USE ImgBurn for DL burns (and SL's too) !!

Originally posted by maineman View Post
        I've read that Amazon +R DL brand is RICOHJPN D01
        They're crap
        Hummmmm ...... Falcon's (RICOHJPN D01) work GOOD for me !!

EDIT: make sure to read "Purchased because of the reviews HERE"

Last edited by AlienX69; 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM.
        AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Wonder where they're made these days?
          D01 in the past were inconsistent, but in truth, I haven't tried 'em in years.
          Also wonder how they'll hold up?...Oh well, time will tell.
          I can still find Verbs pretty cheaply, so I'll stick with what has always been reliable.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Yeah AX, good questions.
            I don't have any idea why the OP is ripping more than once and why he's not using Img.

Comment

No doubt Verbs are the SUPERIOR product no question about that, I wanted to try a cheaper alternative DL, Falcon's are almost half the price and they work flawlessly for me so far, the 360 backups are GREAT, play flawlessly !!
              AX

Comment

Hi, thank you for the replies. Not ripping main title; my mistake... I'm setting Jump To Main Title. I rip twice because 2nd rip is often problematic and if I re-rip I want to be working from hard drive (much faster). First rip is to hard drive, then I rip with Jump to Main Title set, hoping that when burn to disc the player will play main title (I can always jump to menu by pressing menu button).

Problem is, VLC often crashes when Jump to Main Title or Jump to First Menu is selected; if it doesn't crash it always goes straight to the menu. When it crashes I may re-rip testing with other settings or just burn the original rip.

Does this make sense? Is there better practice you would suggest? I want on disc so family can enjoy on road trips. Anyone else have troubles with VLC or discs not playing back properly when Jump to Main Title is selected?

I am not using IMGBURN because when I looked into it I thought it worked with ISO files on hard drive, not DVD folder structure. I'll look at your sig reference to learn more.

Per DVD Identifier v5.2.0, my Amazon DL is:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:UMEDISC-DL1-064]
                Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
                Manufacturer Name : [Ume Disc Manufacturing Ltd.]
                Manufacturer ID : [UMEDISC]
                Media Type ID : [DL1]
                Product Revision : [064]
                Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
                Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]
                [ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I can only burn at 4x in either InfraRec or CDBurnerXP (those are the only options presented to me; max burns at 4x).

Comment

I rip twice because 2nd rip is often problematic
                  I assume you mean the 1st is problematic .... not sure but doing it twice might not be helping and already problematic situation.

I have noticed on a few discs in my past extractions, not many that the PGC structure is a little hoked after an extraction. Bring that into the other tools you are using might make it worse.

First if you want just the movie, what is the folder size after extraction ? Are you using DVD9 or DVD5 as output to the folder

Do you need to maintain the Menus, or do you want just the movie ?

FYI: ImgBurn is definetly the tool to use to make Dual Layer burns, been using for years. It has a feature called Build, its takes the FOLDER and creates an ISO, with the ability to select the Layer Break, very important in DL iso creation. There are Guides for doing this on the ImgBurn forum.
                  Last edited by AlienX69; 01-27-2010, 06:28 PM.
                  AX

Comment

Thx, I'll brush up with IMGBURN. I need to rip twice because so many times the first works (straight customize) but 2nd doesn't (selecting Jump to Main Title)--VLC goes straight to menu or crashes. Do you ever have problems with Jump To Main Title?

I'm using DVD9 always because I don't want any compression.

I want a disc that is basically the same as original but without some annoyances (e.g. 8 sec clips) and to play the the main title when started in the player.

Comment

Then let me suggest that you learn PgcEdit (donationware), great tool I run all my DVDFab folder extractions through PgcEdit and modify the Program Chain to suit my preferences. It has a GREAT Jump to First Play feature CLICK HERE to get you started. Plus it allows you to manually remove all the crap you don't want, little bit more of a learning curve.

PS: You only need to extract ONE time, unless you muck something up ...

Best of Luck
                      Last edited by AlienX69; 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM.
                      AX

Comment

Got ImgBurn installed and set DVDFab to burn with it. I look fwd to faster and better burns than with InfraRec and CDBurnerXP. Looks like there's control around layer break; sounds promising. Glad I can burn dvd folders on hard drive to disc, that's probably the way I'll use it most. Perhaps after using TgcEdit?

So I installed TgcEdit ... looks very complicated at first glance but what it can do appeals to me. Any suggestions on how best to quickly come up to speed?

I rip twice because 2nd rip is often problematic
                        I assume you mean the 1st is problematic .... not sure but doing it twice might not be helping and already problematic situation.
                        Sorry I wasn't clearer. I tried to say that first rips play fine in VLC but subsequent rips using Jump to Main Title usually do not. I rip to hard drive first because I can test different settings more quickly as rips from hard drive are much faster than disc.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                          So I installed TgcEdit ... looks very complicated at first glance but what it can do appeals to me. Any suggestions on how best to quickly come up to speed?
                          Start with that first LINK I gave you to Blutach's First Play Guide (I did not even have that when I started). For more, Google and PgcEdit home page guides.

Good Luck ... you'll like PgcEdit, it will take you a while to learn, but well worth the effort.....

Cheers,
                          AX

Comment

This is brilliant (almost). I've taken two DVDFab outputs with Jump to Main Title set, created ISO with TgcEdit (value here as I see is determination of layer break and adding space between IFO and BUP), then burned with Imgburn. Two burns, two successes. These discs play in the players that the previous ones didn't. I say almost brilliant because the output doesn't play with VLC, either mounted ISO (I use Alcohol) or disc.

Thank you! Huge learning curve ahead of me with TgcEdit, but I think I get the concept and was watching as it ran thru command structure. Look fwd to learning command language and tool usage to modify and strip out some of the stuff in menus I don't want (that gets past DVD Fab's remove annoyances).
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I never did like VLC, but I still use for certain things .... always found it a little touchy. I use PowerDVD9 for video.

You can use PgcEdit to create the ISO, but I suggest you use ImgBurn to create via the Build mode. Been a while since I created an ISO with PE (it works), last one was in the pre-ImgBurn days when it was called by another name. Once ImgBurn introduced the Build mode, I didn't lok back. Only way to create DL burns is IB, cuz of its Previewer.....and it's built by LUK, one smart fella .... kinda like Feng and Ting .....

Good Luck, it will take a while to learn PE .....
                              AX

Comment

Working...
                              X