This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to Burn DVD - ARGHHH!

I am really frustrated. I keep trying to make a copy of a disc, but each time I get an error message that says, "Failed to Burn DVD. Do you want to burn again?"

I have trashed 7 discs tonight and I give up. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Tad

Nope no idea why that happening but if you posted the information asked of you listed below in a post reply to this thread someone might be able to help you out

Help Us Help You

If you are posting about an operational problem with one of the DVDFab products, you will improve the speed and accuracy of the response by providing some information in the very first post that will probably be needed.

First, make note of any error codes or messages that appear in popup boxes and put them in your post. Information on error codes that appear in the DVDFab UI are captured in one of the logs we request below.

DVDFab keeps logs of its activities that supply basic system information and can help pinpoint where and when an error happened and help pinpoint the cause. The default location for these logs on most Windows systems is:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

The logs are simple text files that can be opened with Windows Notepad if you want to read them. If the size exceeds the forum’s attachment size limit, you may need to delete older entries or copy and paste the relevant ones into a new file. The log files can be attached to a post using the "Manage Attachments" button below the editing box.

dvdfab_burn_vso.log Attach for all problems. The entries are time stamped with the most recent at the top.

dvdfab_burn_imgburn.log Attach if you have ImgBurn set as the burning engine and the problem concerns disc burning. Time stamped with the most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_process.log Attach if DVDFab crashes and the crash report window does not come up or complete correctly or if internal error codes appear in the DVDFab window (“Task Failed…”). Time stamped, most recent at the bottom.

dvdfab_internal.log Attach for all problems. Time stamped, most recent at the bottom. Please edit to include only the most recent or relevant log session.

Other Information:

Depending on the nature of the problem, it can help to know:
    If this happens with all discs or just one
    Your operating system/CPU/memory configuration
    If you are using external hard drives or optical drives
    If you have made any recent changes to your OS or system hardware
    If you have other DVD or BD software installed, particularly if recently added.

Posts with all the requested information will be answered first.

Comment

No problem, I will provide any information that will help shed some light on what is going wrong. I have attached all of the log files to this post. Also, I am running Windows 7 on a Gateway computer that has a Quad Core Processor and 8 gigs of RAM. It's a pretty good system. Thank you all for any advice.

Tad
      Attached Files

Comment

Tad_R is a paid version of Fab or free? Log files show a Non-CSS version which I think may be one problem, try to download the newest beta version. Also the code you are getting is 122 HWS_FAILED_CALIBRATING 22 // Write failed at the beginning of the media (often a media that is poorly supported by the drive)
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Tad_R View Post
          No problem, I will provide any information that will help shed some light on what is going wrong. I have attached all of the log files to this post. Also, I am running Windows 7 on a Gateway computer that has a Quad Core Processor and 8 gigs of RAM. It's a pretty good system. Thank you all for any advice.

Tad

As CBR929 suggested, you are using the Non-CSS version of this program.

Frankly, I'm surprised you were able to rip a copy protected DVD at all, but it appears you were successful...had you been able to write it (the copy protection is causing all your write errors) it would have been un-watchable anyways...

Un-install the Non-CSS version, and D/L the version from the link in this forum - "Latest Official Releases" - and please try one more time. Your media and drive both appear to be OK (there is better media, but when I used the Sony media, it caused no problems...).

The new attempt should be more what you're looking for.

DC

Comment

Wow. Thank you guys. That may explain things. I have the paid version, which was installed on my old computer that crashed several months ago. When my wife asked me to copy a disc, I installed the software on my new computer and put my registration key in and everything appeared okay.

However, when I tried to copy the disc, it gave me the "non css version" error. I dug around and found the correct version and installed it on top of the old. I am going to completely uninstall and start over.

Regarding the media, I thought that Sony would be the safest bet, so I bought a huge 100-pack of them. I saw someone else on the forum mentioned Verbatim. Is that a better, and better supported, media?

Thanks again,

Tad

Comment

Originally posted by Tad_R View Post
              Wow. Thank you guys. That may explain things. I have the paid version, which was installed on my old computer that crashed several months ago. When my wife asked me to copy a disc, I installed the software on my new computer and put my registration key in and everything appeared okay.

However, when I tried to copy the disc, it gave me the "non css version" error. I dug around and found the correct version and installed it on top of the old. I am going to completely uninstall and start over.

Regarding the media, I thought that Sony would be the safest bet, so I bought a huge 100-pack of them. I saw someone else on the forum mentioned Verbatim. Is that a better, and better supported, media?

Thanks again,

Tad

The best we can do on this question is offer our own personal experiences...I've had good luck with Sony discs - others have had bad experiences with them...

Taiyo Yuden, by general consensus, offers the best -R SL disc, and verbatim the best +R DL disc... if you use any other brand than those, be guided by the results you get... (some results make take a few months to show up...) if your copies playback fine after 8-12 months, then you should be OK with that brand - the only problem with that is, is getting the same M.I.D. for the brand, when all you have to look at in the store is the package labeling, which doesn't list the M.I.D.

DC

Comment

In addition to the excellent advice so far...

Uninstall everything with respect to Fab.
                Use the uninstaller and then manually delete anything you find.

In Windoz device manager > scroll down to VSO (at or near the bottom) >
                click on + to expand >
                Uninstall all instances of patin-couffin driver

If you don't already have it, download and run CCleaner.
                Be certain to tick Old Prefetch Data under the Advanced heading.

As DC suggested, Sony discs are good quality. However, they tend to be a bit finicky.
                By this, I mean they are less universally compatible than Verbs or Taiyo Yuden, but when they work, they work very well.

I didn't have a chance to research your burner and firmware, but we can do that if it becomes necessary.

I also believe you will be better off with Img as your default burn engine...
                but one step at a time.

Good luck
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Suggestion...
                  Before removing or deleting the patin-couffin driver you should check to make sure you have no other program on your system that uses the patin-couffin driver because if you do those program will no longer work properly.

Just my .02 cents

Comment

I disagree.
                    There's no way to determine if the patin-couffin driver is part of the problem without deleting it.
                    Regardless, the patin-couffin driver is reinstalled with the next install of Fab without harm to other VSO programs.

You would have to opt out manually and not install VSO at all in order to prevent it from installing.
                    BTW, Fab will still work without it as it now uses SPTI as its access driver.

Originally posted by StormJumper View Post
                    Suggestion...
                    Before removing or deleting the patin-couffin driver you should check to make sure you have no other program on your system that uses the patin-couffin driver because if you do those program will no longer work properly.

Just my .02 cents

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Okay, I have some wierd stuff to report. I followed the instructions and deleted the old version and went and searched out all files I could find that were associated with DVDFAB. Then, I ran CCleaner and rebooted and reinstalled. The only thing I didn't do was delete the patin-couffin driver because I couldn't find it. In Windows 7, it isn't in the device manager, or at least I didn't see it - and I ran many searches trying to find it with no luck.

Anyway, guess what - It worked . . . or so I thought. I was able to finally get one of the discs to burn. It created a good working copy.

So, I thought I would try again to test my luck and make sure that this wasn't just a fluke. I tried another disc in the same kid's series (to make the test as similar as possible) and it went back to giving me the "Failed to Burn DVD. Do you want to burn again?" message. Oddly, each time I tried to burn, it never did much after I entered the disc. The progress indicator stays at 0.00% or barely over that. When I did get it to work, it burned very quickly, although the finalizing seemed to take quite a while (made me very nervous).

Anyway, I have attached the new logs. Please take a look and see if any news ideas pop up. This is very odd.

Tad
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Tad_R; 02-05-2010, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Hi again Tad.
                        I believe the simplest way out of this is to switch to Img.
                        Most of the old timers here and all the mods (I think anyway) prefer Img.
                        It is much more reliable, configurable and it's the best darn burn engine on the planet.
                        It's also freeware and has great support from the author, LIGHTNING UK!
                        Most users leave their problems behind when they switch.

Here is an excellent video tutorial and the thread also has a download link:

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDab to work together

Comment

Oh yeah...
                          Patin-couffin should show up in device manager right where I said.
                          I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit.
                          I outlined in red where to click to expand.
                          Here's a screenshot:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                            I disagree.
                            There's no way to determine if the patin-couffin driver is part of the problem without deleting it.
                            Regardless, the patin-couffin driver is reinstalled with the next install of Fab without harm to other VSO programs.

You would have to opt out manually and not install VSO at all in order to prevent it from installing.
                            BTW, Fab will still work without it as it now uses SPTI as its access driver.
                            Not sure what you disagree on
                            I only suggested the member to make sure no other program uses the patin-couffin driver because it would cause un-wanted issues with any other program that may be on the system if the member decides to not to re-install it
                            I didn't say not to go with your recommendation, anyway like I said was only my .02 cents

Comment

Not sure what you disagree on
                              I only suggested the member to make sure no other program uses the patin-couffin driver because it would cause un-wanted issues with any other program that may be on the system if the member decides to not to re-install it
                              I disagree with your advice on the basis of the following:

Telling the OP to make certain no other software uses the patin-couffin driver prior to uninstalling doesn't help him in any way.
                              It needlessly creates a conflict as to how to proceed.

VSO support states it can be safely removed and is not needed as SPTI is now the preferred access driver for VSO.
                              As a matter of fact, if suspected of causing problems, they recommend removing it.

No software other than VSO uses it anyway.
                              Regardless, Patin-couffin driver is reinstalled as soon as Fab is installed unless the user manually opts out.

I didn't say not to go with your recommendation, anyway like I said was only my .02 cents
                              I never said that you advised the OP not to follow my advice.

I suggest we return to helping to OP

Comment

Working...
                              X