This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with Sony DVD - christy Moore uncovered

I have a Sony dvd ( released a few years back ) Chrsty Moore uncovered which neither DVDfab nor DVd shrink can cope with.

here are the symptoms.

disc info shows 1 main title, 59 chapters run lengh 25+ hours! ( see screen - it's of the ISO backup but original DVD looks just the same)
    all the vewable content is in chapters 1-39 & they all copy ok, i.e. I have every dong on the DVd including bonus & extra tracks if I just copy 1-39. But chapters 40-59 are used for navigation( I can see that by playing original dvd in Powerdvd with info toggled on ) , so leaving out those chapters casues menu selections to not work properly in the copy.

The wierd DVd length kicks in only if chapters 40 & later are included in dvdfab. If I exclude those then I see lenght of 1 hour 40 & can get a customised copy OK.

On a full copy, or on customised but with all chapters included, the copy process grinds to a halt around 80& complete. At first I thought this was read error & kept cleanign dvd & retrying, but no -it is not actually a read error jsut a slow down to zero at a set point ( = chapter 40 ? ) (& in DVDshrink an out-of-memory-error occurs when it hits the weird chapters. )

The entire DVD will copy perrfectly using DVDFab CLONE, so no issue with hardware reads ?

NB tried fab 6.18 with path player both forced off & forced ON - makes no difference.

DVDshrink also reports that original disc is NOT encrypted, so the only protection is from these weird chapters ?

SO onto questions:

1.if I burn the cloned ISO to a DL blank, will that play in both PC & DVD players without any further processing. ( Don't want to waste a DL finding you that it wont! ). I'm thinking that it should, as there's no encryption.

Info for ISO [J:\backups\ISO of christy moore uncovered DVD\DVDVOLUME.iso] (DVDFab 6.2.1.8)

Disc type: Video DVD
    Disc region: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    Volume name: DVDVOLUME
    Video standard: PAL
    Layer 0 size: 2815702 sectors (5499 MBytes)

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is not found.
    RC (Region Code) protection is not found.
    RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is not found.
    APS (Analog Protection System) protection is not found.
    UOPs (User Operation Prohibitions) protection is not found.

Invalid PTTs protection is not found.
    Invalid PGCIs protection is not found.
    Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
    Invalid TMAPs protection is not found.
    Invalid CELLs protection is not found.
    Invalid VOBUs protection is not found.
    Fake vts protection is not found!
    Bad sector protection is not found!
    Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is not found.

2. is this combination of" no encryption + weird chapter length" an old form of encryption, not much used & therefore not catered for in DVDfab ? (It is possible that chapter 40 is a slideshow & DVDFAB does not seem to like slideshows! )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM.

UPDATE

I found a work-around solution - but do not understand how/why it worked

1. made an ISO using clone
    2. made a DVD to DVD full disc copy (DVD9 - 100%), using the ISO on my HD as source.

creates a perfect copy (5.34 GB) , despite DVDfab stil reporting a length of 25 hours. All naviagation works on within HD copy so looks to be safe to burn.

any reason why this 2 step approach works, yet standard 1 step approach fails ?

Comment

Well have you tried this movie with pathplayer disabled? Also a cloned DVD should play just fine in your computer/DVD player but only way to find it is to burn it to the DL DVD as backing up DVDs is a trial and error process. Also have you tried to do the ISO you have saved already in the Copy FullDVD option to see if it can be compressed.

Edit: I see you already did try the ISO in FUllDVD mode as you posted while I was replying
      Last edited by AGJ; 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM. Reason: added more text

Comment

Working...
      X