X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) Problem

Hello,

I have been using DVDFAB for a couple years now and have had 100% success. Thanks for the great software and constant updates.

I am currently having a strange issue with backing up The Man With The Golden Gun (1974). Between chapters 21 and 22 the video freezes and the audio gets choppy and stays that way. It's not the source disc because I tried a friends copy and got the exact same result. It happens when burned to a DVD or just to a folder on my hardrive. I have tried it with Pathplayer on and off, main movie only, customize and still got the same result. Everything works fine on all other backups I have made so I know my PC and software are ok. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

the man with the golden gun

Originally posted by Casper31 View Post
    Hello,

I have been using DVDFAB for a couple years now and have had 100% success. Thanks for the great software and constant updates.

I am currently having a strange issue with backing up The Man With The Golden Gun (1974). Between chapters 21 and 22 the video freezes and the audio gets choppy and stays that way. It's not the source disc because I tried a friends copy and got the exact same result. It happens when burned to a DVD or just to a folder on my hardrive. I have tried it with Pathplayer on and off, main movie only, customize and still got the same result. Everything works fine on all other backups I have made so I know my PC and software are ok. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.
    hi,try reading @2.4 and untick read ahead pp off ! clean your drive wth non liquid disc cleaner and clean disc with brasso ! this sounds like a worn original disc !
    Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Do chapters 21/22 play ok in VLC? Do they play ok in a DVD player? If DVDFab is having a problem then I think VLC should have a problem.

I bought some old James Bond movies at a garage sale many years ago (pre DVDFab). Several of them gave me a similar problem. They were in mint condition. I thought they may have put in a manufacturing defect to confuse PCs and not confuse a DVD player. Never did get them backed up.

Comment

Not sure what VLC is? The burned DVD does not play past chapter 21 in a DVD player or the PC DVD drive using Media Player w/ codec pack. It also does the same thing if I create the image on my hardrive and play it from there. It doesn't seem like DVDfab would have a problem with such an old disc.

I will try the things mentioned and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Not sure what VLC is? The burned DVD does not play past chapter 21 in a DVD player or the PC DVD drive using Media Player w/ codec pack. It also does the same thing if I create the image on my hardrive and play it from there. It doesn't seem like DVDfab would have a problem with such an old disc.

I will try the things mentioned and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

VLC Media Player is a freebie software that will play almost anything... DVDs, .avi files, just-ripped files from Fab, etc. etc. No need for any special codecs... it's all built in...

When you get your hands on a copy of VLC, try it on the ripped MWTGG on your HD (assuming it's still there...if not, please re-rip and then try).

Please advise if the problem you're experiencing is present on the HD copy, as well as the burned disc...

If not, we'll likely be asking you for the brand of disc you're using and the speed you're burning at. (as well as which burner you're using).

DC

P.S. Please don't create an Image file this time, and just play the as ripped AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files.

Comment

I tried turning read ahead and Pathplayer off and still had the same result. I did not try cleaning the drive because it works on all other movies. The copied failed in the same exact place on two different source discs so I can't see it being a dirty or scratched disc.

I haven't downloaded VLC but so far the problem is on both the Disc and HD copies. I had my terminology screwed up. I have been playing the Audio_TS and Video_TS files directly from a folder I pointed Fab to for the target destination. So I guess that is not an image. I will give it a try with VLC after I get a copy. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I tried turning read ahead and Pathplayer off and still had the same result. I did not try cleaning the drive because it works on all other movies. The copied failed in the same exact place on two different source discs so I can't see it being a dirty or scratched disc.

I haven't downloaded VLC but so far the problem is on both the Disc and HD copies. I had my terminology screwed up. I have been playing the Audio_TS and Video_TS files directly from a folder I pointed Fab to for the target destination. So I guess that is not an image. I will give it a try with VLC after I get a copy. Thanks for the help!

Are there any glitches on the source disk that can be seen on playback?

The next thing to try is to D/L Nero Disc Speed (a freebie on Softpedia and Free-Codecs.com).

Open 007 in Fab (allow the initial scan to finish), then open Disc Speed (and DON'T close Fab) and run a disk scan on the source disk.

Any errors reported will indicate a source disk problem (and will probably explain your copy problems).

Since this source is the older version of the film, there may not be much hope of exchanging it anywhere... you may have to pick up the newest release of this DVD.

Please advise.

DC

Comment

It appears that there are errors on the disc. Actually 15 errors and 90% of the disc is unreadable according to Nero. Also, I had never tried to play the source disc on my PC. I was comparing it to playing it on a set top DVD player. When I tried to play the source on my PC the video freezes in the same place. I believe it is as billbell stated. The disc has errors placed on it by the manufacturer and a PC drive doesn't handle it but a set top does. Since the PC drive reads the errors, I am merely transfering them over to another disc during the backup process. Strange that an old movie would have this copy protection. Oh well, I guess I won't be backing this one up. Thanks for all the help and information!

Comment

I take it this is the re-release of the movie? the Studios when they re-release old movies add the newer copy protection to them as I have a few that never had the newer copy protection when first released but do have on the re-released DVDs

Comment

It appears that there are errors on the disc. Actually 15 errors and 90% of the disc is unreadable according to Nero. Also, I had never tried to play the source disc on my PC. I was comparing it to playing it on a set top DVD player. When I tried to play the source on my PC the video freezes in the same place. I believe it is as billbell stated. The disc has errors placed on it by the manufacturer and a PC drive doesn't handle it but a set top does. Since the PC drive reads the errors, I am merely transfering them over to another disc during the backup process. Strange that an old movie would have this copy protection. Oh well, I guess I won't be backing this one up. Thanks for all the help and information!
                    if it showing unreadable then it a bad pressed disc and you need to take it back and exchange for another one. Just because it plays on a set top DVD Player does not mean it a good DVD

Comment

Working...
                    X