This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD-5 Settings

Not new to Dvdfab, but recently been having problems that until now I have been attributing to my drives possibly getting overworked, but thought it might be because of my dvd-5 settings. I have been using Sony discs exclusively and I have my dvd-5 setting at 4472. I raised it to match other discs that I have previously written so I don't have to constantly switch it back to 4300. I have had a lot of disks recently failing to burn and I was wondering if it could be to the fact that I am using 4472 as the size. I have used an identifying program on my discs and it shows that they are 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB). What I am asking is will have a have a better success rate if I drop my dvd-5 to 4300.

webbdav this could be a bad batch of disc's please give this a read through http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=15 also if you do not burn with ImgBurn I would suggest installing it as the vso burn engine in Fab can be a little buggy and you can find it here and a tutorial on how to set it up http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=33
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Hi webbdav and welcome,

You're probably using VSO, Fab's default burn engine.
      I suspect you'll have better luck with Img.
      Recommend you download, install and configure as instructed in this great video tutorial:

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDab to work together .

Re: the target size...
      Could you post a burn log or 2 so we can take a look?

The default location is:
      C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

You also might consider decreasing your max target size a bit less drastically.
      Perhaps try 4460 MB (my default size) or so.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

All I can say is I have used a setting of 4350 for 5 years with no problems except with Sony D21 disc and I never switch back and forth with any other setting.

Are the disc you are using D21 mid?

Comment

re:

I don't know what disks I have been getting in the past haven't gone through and checked them but the current batch are D21's. I am using the VSO burning engine so I will go ahead and set up the imgbrn see if that helps. My problems usually come when not burning with just one drive. I have an sh-s223q and 2 optiarc ad-7240s's and all the firmware on them have been updated. The Samsung doesn't fail to burn but the Sony's sometimes do when I have all 3 of them running at the same time. My computer can handle the memory though. My processor never gets above 50% and memory never gets above 25%. I thought that drives might be getting hot. Here is a copy of the process log and I copied the text from a part of the the log where there was a failure.dvdfab_process.log

log.txt

Comment

I have for some time, not always though, exclusively used the current version of DVD Fab, nothing else now, no DVD Shrink or even ImgBurn, and set to dvd-5 and 4300, using Sony blank DVD-R discs, with no problems.

Only problem I have had for ages now was with an older movie, had to disable pathplayer.

Comment

I have been looking around and I may have come up with another answer and was hoping for an oppinion. I have been leaving drives to burn at recommended speeds. Well The sony drives can burn up to 24X. I will address this now and set a write speed. The disks are rated for 16X so should I burn at that or would overspeeding them at 18X (which it shows that is a viable speed on the sony's) hurt them also. Or should I even burn at lower speeds to protect the disks.

Comment

Burn your sony blank media at 8x for those 16x rated media. If that not work then lower it to 4x burn speed. Never overburn for cheap media like that

Comment

I don't mind getting better media but it would help if someone could point me in the right direction. What is the best media to get out there and where is the best place to purchase it. I normally buy Sony on ebay or on websites. I have read in a few places that Sony Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are the best. And if I switch to those others what would be a recommended write speed and should I avoid ebay when ordering them.

Comment

Where do you live is the important part and then we can give you suggestions on where to buy. But Taiyo Yuden is the best to have and use and then verbatim is next any other media is cheap and not good to use for movies as you get more coasters than anything else with them

Comment

webbdav I see you have gotten some good advise as usual while I was gone. I only burn with verbatim at 1/2 my disc speed and have had no problems. I also noticed something in your log DMA is not available on this bus type. Can a Mod please tell me what this means? I am assuming that the drives are in PIO mode??
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Just to review,

Definitely give Img a try as we've suggested.
                        The setup link is on my previous post #3 and on CBR929's post #2 (I guess I missed it on my first read...lol).

Agree completely with my pal AGJ.
                        We both use Taiyo Yuden and actually the exact same MID...YUDEN000 T02
                        These are +R 8X media that we burn at 8X and we never have issues.
                        JMO, this is the best media on the planet, bar none.

Verbs are a solid second choice, but to some extent depends on your locale.
                        Where are you?

While sony makes decent quality media, they tend to be finicky.
                        Try cutting your burn speed to 8X as suggested by AGJ and run only one burner. Let us know what happens.

Your Sony-Optiarc 7240s drives are superb burners...I own 2 of them myself.
                        I'm running both mine with modified firmware from Liggy and Dee and never have a problem.
                        It provides auto-bitsetting and is RPC-1...wonderful stuff.

Let me know if you want more info or are unable to find it.
                        Keep in mind, should something go awry...you'll void your warranty with modified fw.

Some vendors are now carrying TY's with JVC labels...it's the same great TY media, made in Japan.

Hard to give you feedback about using 2-3 ODD's simultaneously without seeing more specs on your rig.
                        Any particular reason for running multiple, simultaneous burns...other than the obvious time saver?

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                          webbdav I see you have gotten some good advise as usual while I was gone. I only burn with verbatim at 1/2 my disc speed and have had no problems. I also noticed something in your log DMA is not available on this bus type. Can a Mod please tell me what this means? I am assuming that the drives are in PIO mode??
                          Hey CB,

First off, although these are SATA interface, I believe they are configured in his bios as IDE so DMA setting is still applicable.
                          The sony media is misbehaving and there may also be some sort of I/O conflict.
                          Approx 71% of the files were burned within 5-6 minutes, so I don't see how the burner can be in PIO mode.
                          Who knows what's really going on?

I think we need a clearer picture to isolate the problem(s)...
                          Switch to Img >
                          Switch blank media >
                          Use only one ODD at a time (for starters anyway) >
                          Slow the burn speed (yet to be determined based on the write strategy of the blank media) >
                          Maybe mod the firmware on one of the 7240s
                          Last edited by maineman; 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

maineman thanks still trying to learn as much as I can about program and reading the logs correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                              maineman thanks still trying to learn as much as I can about program and reading the logs correctly.
                              Me too!...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X