X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed up the rip time

feel free to call me "stupid"

*i'm using paid version of dvdfab 6220 on windows vista. i'm also using 2 drives. one to rip - the other to burn with ImgBurn.

question:

*is there any way to speed up the amount of time it takes Fab to rip the disk? it's currently taking around 25 minutes to rip - then 5 minutes for the burn.

thanks for any and all advice.

If it take longer than 8 minutes as an average for fab to rip to your hard drive then there is a problem either with your system or the disc.

Is the disc dirty? Scratched?
    Is your reader in PIO mode?

Comment

I guess I should qualify the above time average to say my system is several years old and it takes 8 minutes +- to rip to a hard drive unless there is some scratches or the movie needs more than the usual compression. In the case of scratches or high compression it takes about 15 minutes +-.

Burn time is 5 to 6 minutes using Imgburn at 12X
      Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
        If it take longer than 8 minutes as an average for fab to rip to your hard drive then there is a problem either with your system or the disc.

Is the disc dirty? Scratched?
        Is your reader in PIO mode?
        i put my original dvd in my laptop. then put my blank in my external burner.

i didn't know about PIO mode. how can i look/change my mode?? what should it be?

thank you.

Comment

also - my disks are not dirty. i usually back up a brand new disk before it gets dirty

Comment

Originally posted by Dorrell View Post
            also - my disks are not dirty. i usually back up a brand new disk before it gets dirty
            You would be surprised how much crud is on a new disc.
            Rip one and then clean it and rip it again.
            Chances are the rip time will be less on the freshly cleaned disc.

Comment

Laptop........
              You said a dirty word.
              Laptop drives are junk with few exceptions.

Try using your external to rip and see what happens.
              Clean the disc first.

Comment

tell me more about this PIO mode.

how can i see what it is now? or how to change it??

Comment

Settings-General-Reset DMA
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

your current 25 minutes to rip time sound about right as it depends on how good a CPU you have to get faster rip times. My computer takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes depending on how much compression is needed and I have a 1.89ghz dual core CPU and 4gb memory

Comment

Could be how much protection is on the media which will slow down the rips some also but I would go with the PIO first
                      Paid Not To Work
                      US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )
                      Proudly Served On
                      USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
                      6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin

Comment

*update*

i reset the dma last night.

still took around 25-30 minutes to rip and burn.

i'm not complaining at all. just sayin'.

Comment

Agree with Gruñón here. I suspect the problem here is your laptop drive.
                          There are a number of tweaks in the software that you can apply but I seriously doubt you'll see a big difference in overall rip speeds. Cleaning the disc, making software tweaks will often help with individual rip speeds though.

Have you tried ripping with your external drive?
                          If you post a burn log, we can have a look.
                          Chances are your lappie ODD is crap. Nothing personal here, but slimline drives generally are not recommended for video archiving.

The default location is:
                          C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                            Agree with Gruñón here. I suspect the problem here is your laptop drive.
                            There are a number of tweaks in the software that you can apply but I seriously doubt you'll see a big difference in overall rip speeds. Cleaning the disc, making software tweaks will often help with individual rip speeds though.

Have you tried ripping with your external drive?
                            If you post a burn log, we can have a look.
                            Chances are your lappie ODD is crap. Nothing personal here, but slimline drives generally are not recommended for video archiving.

The default location is:
                            C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

i have not tried ripping with the external drive, because i want to use it to burn with. isn't this the best way??

i will post the log when i get home tonight.

Comment

You can use the external for both.
                              Simply swap out the discs.
                              Rip with the external and when it's completed you should receive a prompt and just insert your blank media.
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X