This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy quality

I'm new to this forum and know little about PC's and DVDFAB so please feel free to use simple language when responding.

I am using the free version 6.0.4.0. My questions is that on most DVD's that I want to copy I notice the copy quality when using DVD5 is rather low, ie. 55%. Is there a setting to make the quality better?

If I change the setting to DVD9 it will say 100% quality but then I need to use dual layer dvd's which I don't want. I also tried using version 6.2.1.8 but this only allows DVD9 buring to dual layer dvd's.

Also is there really a difference in quality 100% to 55% when burinig? Thanks...

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    I'm new to this forum and know little about PC's and DVDFAB so please feel free to use simple language when responding.

I am using the free version 6.0.4.0. My questions is that on most DVD's that I want to copy I notice the copy quality when using DVD5 is rather low, ie. 55%. Is there a setting to make the quality better?

If I change the setting to DVD9 it will say 100% quality but then I need to use dual layer dvd's which I don't want. I also tried using version 6.2.1.8 but this only allows DVD9 buring to dual layer dvd's.

Also is there really a difference in quality 100% to 55% when burinig? Thanks...

Always a fun topic, DVD quality!!

Quality is usually in the eye of the beholder. Some people aren't satisfied with anything less than 100%, others enjoy 60-80% without a complaint.

You'll have to decide for yourself where your threshold is.

As a general guideline, 80 to 100% of the original can't be detected by the human eye - copies will look as good as the original. 60 to 80% and you'll start to see a slightly washed out picture (colors will look more pastel-like, images a little less sharp).

Any less than that should be avoided.

There are no quality controls in DVD Fab.

Instead, the option to not include portions of the DVD during the rip is allowed to maximize space for the film's picture quality. Extras can be excluded, as well as menus, and some of the 'annoyances' (FBI & Interpol warning, trailers, etc.).

Why don't you want to use Dual Layer DVDs? They'll allow for 100% quality as well as capturing the entire DVD... extras and all.

All versions of Fab allow for both DVD5 AND DVD9 copies... a quick trip through the tutorial will show you how.

When it comes to burning, another set of factors comes into play, which has nothing to do with the amount of compression used to rip the film - on this point, scan the threads in this section of the forum, and you'll find lots of advice re burners, media, burn speeds, and burning software.

Hope this helps a little.

DC

Comment

Darth
      He stated he is using the free version.
      It can not be set to DVD5 and it will not burn nor will it compress.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
        Darth
        He stated he is using the free version.
        It can not be set to DVD5 and it will not burn nor will it compress.

You're absolutely right..must have been another dyslexic attack... except that maybe I was hoping some of the free trial time still remained, as he did comment on the compression for a DVD5 setting...

Sorry...

DC

Comment

Some of is statements are confusing to me. If he is using version 6040 then the trial ran out months ago.
          So how is he getting any kind of a fail burn message.

I would like to see a log from V 6040 to see what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
            Some of is statements are confusing to me. If he is using version 6040 then the trial ran out months ago.
            So how is he getting any kind of a fail burn message.

I would like to see a log from V 6040 to see what is going on.

Unless he's ripping with Fab, and compressing and burning with different software...but then I'd expect more complaints about failed rips, especially from a version as old as v6.0.4.0...

Be interesting to see his comments...

DC

Comment

Working...
            X