This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Rip Result

I'm sure this isn't a DVD Fab bug, but I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll put it here.

I'm using DVDFab HD Decrypter 6.2.1.8. I ripped the Alien main feature to a single .iso. Everything worked fine. The extra interviews on the set, (which are a series of chapters), look to be divided into 2 videos. So, I ripped those two videos into separate .iso files. They appeared to rip fine.

When I went to check the videos, I started playing the first .iso of interviews. It played fine, but ended after the first chapter was finished. The file size is over 2 gigs large but stops playing after 18 minutes. I played it again and then hit the "next chapter" button - and sure enough the video advanced to the next chapter. The behavior was identical when I ripped both sets of interviews into a single .iso.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? And is there a way around it?

a little confused as to what you did for the extras. Was that disc 2 of the set if so you could have made one ISO of disc 2 and it should play like the original. just because it has seperate vobs in the VIDEO TS Folder does not mean you have to do them seperately. I moved your post to DVD to DVD section where it belongs as well.

Comment

Yes, this is disc 2 - the extras DVD. As a matter of fact, the first thing I had done was to rip the entire DVD to an .iso. I wanted to see if it would speed up the ripping procees - which it doesn't as near as I can tell. Ripping from the disc or .iso produces the same issue. Playing from the .iso is fine as well.

Usually, I choose "play all" when viewing the extras DVD, and it acts like one seamless movie. On other movies, interviews that are divided up like this tend to have each chapter in its own video. This one has lumped them into two big video files. So, I've ripped them both individually and together.

All of the content is included, it simply stops playing after the first chapter has completed. Right before the chapter ends, you can hit the "next chapter" button and it will jump to the next chapter.

It acts exactly the same way on VLC and XBMC.

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxy_Stranger View Post
        Yes, this is disc 2 - the extras DVD. As a matter of fact, the first thing I had done was to rip the entire DVD to an .iso. I wanted to see if it would speed up the ripping procees - which it doesn't as near as I can tell. Ripping from the disc or .iso produces the same issue. Playing from the .iso is fine as well.

Usually, I choose "play all" when viewing the extras DVD, and it acts like one seamless movie. On other movies, interviews that are divided up like this tend to have each chapter in its own video. This one has lumped them into two big video files. So, I've ripped them both individually and together.

All of the content is included, it simply stops playing after the first chapter has completed. Right before the chapter ends, you can hit the "next chapter" button and it will jump to the next chapter.

It acts exactly the same way on VLC and XBMC.

Just for my edification, can you please explain how you are creating these ISOs of Alien?

The reason I ask, back just before this forum started, and most of us were back on the 'other' forum, a spate of complaints came in from Fab HD Decrypter users that the ability to create ISO files with the freebie program no longer worked.

It was determined at the time that this was a deliberate move by the authors, but that the function might be re-instated on a later release.

I never saw anything official about the re-enabling of ISO creation (not to say it wasn't done, just that I never saw any posts indicating that it was...) for HD Decrypter.

Another reason I ask is that the running time you say you are seeing (approx. 18 Min.) just happens to be about the running time of a single 1Gb .VOB file.

I know that stand-alone players cannot handle files any larger than that... they'll play up to the point where another .VOB should be, and then stop. Any attempts to merge the VOB files to one large one will cause exactly what you are seeing... (again, I'm not saying that's what you've done, but it is one of the reasons I'm asking).

DC

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to reply - real life and Senior Projects got in the way...

To be on the safe side, I availed myself of the oportunity to do a fresh install on another PC I had just reformatted. I got XP all patched up and went to the DVD Fab site and downloaded HD Decrypter 6.2.1.8, (which, incidentally, has a major bug with modifying the choice layout).

I immediately began peel off some episodes of some TV shows as individual .iso files. Each one went off without a hitch and played as expected via VLC and XBMC. Then, I went back to the "Alien" extras DVD. As I mentioned before, the "Making Of" video is listed as two separate items. So, I ripped the first one as it's own .iso without the DVD menus. It played fine - but I again noted the 18 minute time limit. I skipped ahead to just under 18 minutes and let it play out. Sure enough, VLC stopped playing the video at the end of the 18 minutes. If I go back and play the file, then hit the "next chapter" button on VLC, the next chapter begins to play with a 16 minute time limit - just as before. XBMC does exactly the same thing.

So, this is the process I went through:
          1. Open DVD Fab HD Decryptor.
          2. Select "Customize" from the "DVD to DVD" menu.
          3. Select box "1" which has a time of almost an hour and 15 minutes.
          4. Clicked "Next".
          5. In the "Copying" group, select the "Copy DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS folder) check box.
          6. In the "Removing" group, select the "Remove menus, play the titles continually" checkbox.
          7. Click "Start".

And that's that. Like I said, the data is there, it just stops playing at the end of each chapter.

Comment

Maybe you could try to run the ripped file with FixVTS and see if that helps

You can download FixVTS here
            FixVTS is a very tiny tool that allows you to adjust your DVD files into better DVD compliance, so they can be opened in DVDShrink or VobBlanker.
            Hubba hubba zoot zoot..........

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Hubbabub.

No go on FixVTS. I wish I knew about DVD authoring so I could go in and look at the files myself.

Comment

Sometimes PgcEdit can find errors when it loads the ripped dvd files
                and it also have a powerful trace module
                PgcEdit, DVD, IFO, PGC, menu, editor, debugger, trace, r0lZ, double, dual, layer, DL, burner, burn, video
                Hubba hubba zoot zoot..........

Comment

Working...
                X