This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 Ripping Problems

I am using the latest 7.0.1.2 version of HD Decrypter, and have been having problems ripping DVD's. I have used DVDFab for 3 years and never had a problem until I bought my new quad core Windows 7 (64 bit) computer. Now I get these skipping/pixelation problems when I play my backups(occur every 5-10 minutes when viewing-always at the same spots when reviewing). This was occuring with 6.xx versions as well. It has happened to every disk so far, and they are all brand new out of the package.

Here are some examples of the messages I get on the "info" tab in DVDFab:

Potential bad sector (vts:4 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:4 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:9 title begin:0 end:120) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:10 title begin:0 end:4) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:13 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:13 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:16 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:16 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:18 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:18 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:20 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:20 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:22 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:22 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:24 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:24 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    16 potential bad sector protections are removed!

Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:13) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:14) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:15) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:16) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:17) is removed!
    334 unplayable cells are removed!

Maybe these are related, maybe they are normal...is this a problem with Windows 7? I have noticed rip speeds are at the ~12 MB/s whereas on my old computer they were at ~7 MB/s.

Thanks in advance -

Originally posted by colorider40 View Post
    I am using the latest 7.0.1.2 version of HD Decrypter, and have been having problems ripping DVD's. I have used DVDFab for 3 years and never had a problem until I bought my new quad core Windows 7 (64 bit) computer. Now I get these skipping/pixelation problems when I play my backups(occur every 5-10 minutes when viewing-always at the same spots when reviewing). This was occuring with 6.xx versions as well. It has happened to every disk so far, and they are all brand new out of the package.

Here are some examples of the messages I get on the "info" tab in DVDFab:

Potential bad sector (vts:4 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:4 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:9 title begin:0 end:120) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:10 title begin:0 end:4) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:13 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:13 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:16 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:16 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:18 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:18 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:20 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:20 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:22 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:22 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:24 title begin:0 end:2687) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:24 title begin:2720 end:4111) is removed!
    16 potential bad sector protections are removed!

Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:13) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:14) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:15) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:16) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:24 title pgc:4 cell:17) is removed!
    334 unplayable cells are removed!

Maybe these are related, maybe they are normal...is this a problem with Windows 7? I have noticed rip speeds are at the ~12 MB/s whereas on my old computer they were at ~7 MB/s.

Thanks in advance -

If they are all relative new releases, Fab may not yet be able to handle them... the HD Decrypter is not updated on the same schedule as the paid version... you may have to be patient for an update before it will copy successfully...

DC

P.S. Sorry Maineman... I changed this entry somewhat when I re-read it and noticed the OP had said HD Decrypter... but the burn engine, speed and media used are also likely candidates for this kind of problem...
    Last edited by DarthCopier; 03-11-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Win7 and a quad core processor are not the culprits here.
      Many of us, including myself, have new Win7 64-bit core i7 builds and enjoy a happy marriage with Fab.

As DC said, the most frequent causes for what you describe are crappy media and inappropriate burn speeds..."usually" too fast.

The burn log default location is:
      C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Maybe this is what you mean, but I only back up my DVD's to my HDD, is the rip speed, my (probably incorrect) term, what you mean by burn speed? If so, how could I slow this down? Thanks -

Comment

A few points of clarification:

When you stated,
          "Now I get these skipping/pixelation problems when I play my backups"
          you are actually referring to hdd images and not actual burned discs, usually called backups,
          correct ?

Any files (dvds) ripped to your hdd on your new rig, whether you're using Fab 6.xxx or Fab 7.xxx will pixelate/skip/freeze...whatever,
          correct ?

The pixelations/skipping, etc.,
          "occur every 5-10 minutes when viewing-always at the same spots when reviewing"

Do you mean this occurs in the same, exact location on a specific file everytime
          or that it occurs about every 5-10 minutes on all files that you playback?...
          or both ?

What software player are you using to play the files from your hdd ?

Let's start to isolate the problem...maybe a codec issue, but the consistent, 5-10 minute glitches are peculiar.

Please download and install VLC.
          It's free, will play darn near anything and does not rely on external codes.
          Here you go:

Last edited by maineman; 03-11-2010, 05:50 AM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

you are actually referring to hdd images and not actual burned discs, usually called backups,
            correct ?

Correct, I only back up to my HDD and stream to XBMC on my HTPC.

Any files (dvds) ripped to your hdd on your new rig, whether you're using Fab 6.xxx or Fab 7.xxx will pixelate/skip/freeze...whatever,
            correct ?

Yes, I've tried multiple versions, I was hoping the new 7.xxx would fix it, but it has not.

Do you mean this occurs in the same, exact location on a specific file everytime
            or both ?

Yes, it occurs at the same spot(s) each time it is played back, regardless of where or how. On XBMC (on the HTPC), on the original network storage (with VLC). Not always 5-10 minutes, but that is worst case scenario. Some rips will only have 1 or 2 'bad' spots.

Comment

Originally posted by colorider40 View Post
              correct ?

Correct, I only back up to my HDD and stream to XBMC on my HTPC.

correct ?

Yes, I've tried multiple versions, I was hoping the new 7.xxx would fix it, but it has not.

or both ?

Yes, it occurs at the same spot(s) each time it is played back, regardless of where or how. On XBMC (on the HTPC), on the original network storage (with VLC). Not always 5-10 minutes, but that is worst case scenario. Some rips will only have 1 or 2 'bad' spots.

If this was a Fab problem, I expect we'd have had numerous complaints by this time of a similar nature to yours. Unfortunately, yours is the first (that I can recall...).

Therefore, the problem probably resides with either the original discs you're copying, or Windoze 7.

Since I'm still running XP Pro, I'm afraid I won't be too much use to you there, but there are others here who can help with that.

As far as the original discs go, have you tried playing them to see if they exhibit the same glitches in the same spots that your copies do?

Please let us know...

DC

P.S. I also noticed you referenced 'network storage'... were the discs ripped on a network also?? That would be a priime suspect for problems of this kind...
              Last edited by DarthCopier; 03-12-2010, 05:37 AM.

Comment

It's a codec issue. I have had the same problem. It appears that Fab and the new HD codecs included in Windows 7 with the new Media Player 12 don't play well together, it could just be that Fab and 7 don't work well together, or it could be some settings issue we aren't aware of.

I have played around with it some and have gotten it to reduce, but not go away. I installed a codec packs, K-lite specifically, for both 32 and 64-bit as I run 7 64-bit and WMP is a 64-bit program - also the same thing occurs in Media Center as it uses the same Windows codec. Included in the latest versions of K-lite is a program to disable the Windows codecs. It has mixed results and is totally reversible with that program.

The main problem I found was the what codec to use with Fab. Upon installing the extra codecs, I changed the settings in Fab to use ffdshow. This has reduced the pixilation while viewing in Windows on Media Player/Center. I have not tried any other players such as VLC, Media Player Classic, Divx, etc to compare. I have tried original discs, played the .iso files directly, and my backups - all pixilate and always in the same place, which is what makes me lean towards an issue during ripping.

However, the discs play fine in DVD players around my house. Does this mean it is strictly an issue with the codecs causing the pixilation on the computer and there is no actual pixilation in the rip? I don't know. It could be that all the DVD players are self-correcting so I don't see that pixilation that is translated onto the disc. Let me know if you find anything out. I tried searching for information a few weeks ago(not in this forum though), but gave up. Funny that you show up with the same type of issue.

Comment

@camparks
                  Thanks for the info and confirmation re: the codec issue.
                  I suspected as much but couldn't confirm.

Now that we have additional info from the OP, he seems to be saying that he is still experiencing the pixelations with VLC, BUT...he stated it in this manner,
                  "...On XBMC (on the HTPC), on the original network storage (with VLC)..."

@colorider40...maybe I misunderstood...?
                  Please navigate directly to the files on the hdd with VLC and playback directly with VLC, ie., no XBox media center, no network, etc.

What happens?

Comment

Two things:

1) Now that I think if it, I haven't checked since converting to Fab 7.x beta from v.6
                    2) Gimme some time and I will post back with some results

Comment

I have been messing around with various codec settings and using several players.

DVD played in DVDFab Preview:
                      1) With ffdshow chosen, it is clean.
                      2)With Microsoft DTV-DVD, it pixilates slightly - an off-color square every 15-30seconds.

DVD or .ISO files in Windows Media Player or Center:
                      1) With ffdshow set as default using Windows 7DSfilter Tweaker, very little pixilation - an off-color square every 1-2min.
                      2) With Microsoft DTV-DVD, it pixilates moderately - 1-3 squares and 3-4 broken/dashed horizontal lines every 3-5 seconds.

DVD, .ISO, or DVD Files in VLC Player:
                      As it uses its own codecs built into its code, codec changes on Windows have no effect. There was no pixilation present. As with the DVD players in my house, is it compensating? Or could it be that its decoders are clean...?

DVD or .IOS in CinePlayer(Roxio 2010):
                      Same results as with Media Player and ffdshow, except changing the Microsoft back to default had no effect - very little pixilation and off-color square every 1-2 minutes.

Another thing I thought of in the meantime, one factor could be ATI Catalyst software. In the past, I have seen pixilation due to the udates, though usually in flash video playback. As I don't really watch movies that often on my PC, I can't say for sure where the problem is arising.

The versatility of a PC and its available software can also become its downfall...

Comment

4 months later - I think I have found a fix. I found a utility program on Microsoft's Fix It Page. It searches for codec problems within WMP. It said that a Direct Show, FFDShow, and one of the splitters (all from the K-lite package I used) were know to cause problems. I went ahead and let it remove them because I didn't know if it also contained any fixes/patches for WMP. I then uninstalled K-Lite. Of note, I did not mention having this installed in the earlier posts - I did however try everything with K-lite uninstalled and reinstalled.

After doing that, I ran a program called FixWMP found here:
                        http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...ix-wmp-utility
                        It re-registers .dll files back to WMP, which I found was a common problem amongst a lot of users with other playback issues. It seems as though early development packages of several codec and WMP related program such as iTunes, etc had a problem with capturing control over some .dll files causing the instability or even total lack of playback.

I tested the playback after running the utility and everything was back to like new. I have reinstalled K-lite and K-lite 64 and played back again with no problems. I don't know if it was the cause of my problems or not, but they are working together perfectly now.

Finally, I can playback .iso and dvds without annoying green blocks and menus that are incomprehensible!

Comment

Just an fyi, I would stay away from codec packs. They tend to play hell with your available codecs and settings. If you need something like it, stick to ffdshow, it works the best for what it does.
                          SPECS
                          DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                          SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Working...
                          X