No announcement yet.

Inappropriate Read Error dialog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab v12.0.5.1 (Win) Inappropriate Read Error dialog?

BUG?
    In making a Customize copy of two episodes (no compression) of Season 1, Discs 2 and 3 of Shameless with 12.0.5.1, after completing the disc read and ejecting it (in preparation for me to insert the blank DVD), DVDFab posted a Read Error dialog asking if I want to Abort, Retry, Ignore, or Ignore All. At the very least, if there was such an error, it should have been posted at the time it was having trouble reading. In fact, the copied DVD played fine.

In addition, the Copy function periodically stops updating the onscreen speed, Time Elapsed, and Time Left texts. The only thing being updated was the CPU %.

Finally, on the Copy mentioned above with the Read Error, DVDFab finished the copy, ejected the copy, and then crashed with its normal dialog box. The copied disc appears to be perfect, however.

The QA team will try to duplicate it and check where the problem is.

Comment

Zapt,
      I was having a similar problem not to long ago. This is the response I got from support. It worked

Startup DVDFab and click the Menu button (the down triangle) in the upper right corner of DVDFab, click on Common Settings>Drives>Read, mark the option "ignore all the reading errors automatically" to copy the movie again and see if it will make a difference.

Comment

Hunter1955 I understand and that's a potentially useful setting, but what I was reporting was a bug. From years of using DVDFab, the Abort, Retry, Ignore, or Ignore All dialog box is only supposed to appear is at the time of the error--not after a full disc read has finished. At that point, there is nothing to retry or ignore. And given that there were no apparent errors, this message shouldn't have appeared at all. It is possible, of course, that DVDFab is simply displaying an incorrect error message at that point; that is, SOME error occurred, but the text is incorrect. Regardless, it's an issue for the developers to check.

Comment

Originally posted by zapt View Post
          Hunter1955 I understand and that's a potentially useful setting, but what I was reporting was a bug. From years of using DVDFab, the Abort, Retry, Ignore, or Ignore All dialog box is only supposed to appear is at the time of the error--not after a full disc read has finished. At that point, there is nothing to retry or ignore. And given that there were no apparent errors, this message shouldn't have appeared at all. It is possible, of course, that DVDFab is simply displaying an incorrect error message at that point; that is, SOME error occurred, but the text is incorrect. Regardless, it's an issue for the developers to check.
          does dvdfab eject the disc after the copy is finished and you receive theAbort, Retry, Ignore, or Ignore All error or do you press the
          eject button yourself ?? try going into common settings - drives - read - make sure that you have the "do not eject source disc when task finishes" checked.
          so you may want to redo your discs and see if you still get that error.

Comment

As mentioned in my original post, the disc was completely read as the first phase of a Copy, and the message appeared prior to my inserting the blank disc. So the suggested setting should have no impact on this. That is, the task was NOT finished; it was only half done.

Mind you, this is a minor bug. It doesn’t affect copies. But a bug is a bug, so I reported it. Whether the developers can replicate and fix it (as well as whether they feel it’s worth the trouble to chase down) is their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by zapt View Post
              BUG?
              In making a Customize copy of two episodes (no compression) of Season 1, Discs 2 and 3 of Shameless with 12.0.5.1, after completing the disc read and ejecting it (in preparation for me to insert the blank DVD), DVDFab posted a Read Error dialog asking if I want to Abort, Retry, Ignore, or Ignore All. At the very least, if there was such an error, it should have been posted at the time it was having trouble reading. In fact, the copied DVD played fine.

In addition, the Copy function periodically stops updating the onscreen speed, Time Elapsed, and Time Left texts. The only thing being updated was the CPU %.

Finally, on the Copy mentioned above with the Read Error, DVDFab finished the copy, ejected the copy, and then crashed with its normal dialog box. The copied disc appears to be perfect, however.
              We could not duplicate the issue with other movie disks, as we do not have Shameless available. The log session for the movie could be helpful. Please zip the whole log folder and send it to us.

If you can video record the whole process and show us, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I uploaded ZAPT Log.zip to the root directory just now.

Comment

Mona, I just noticed that my first upload failed. I re-zipped the Log folder and uploaded it again using the same filename: Zapt Log.zip (size approximately 2MB). I don't have permission to delete the initial failed upload.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, I have downloaded and passed the log file to the developer in charge, they will check.

Comment

This happened to me also twice. Once at the 2% copy mark and once at the end after the disc had been ejected. One thing i did notice was that down the bottom of the software where you set the output file to go, i had it saved to documents in a full disc so i changed it to ISO and no more errors since. I also noticed that if i changed the output to my drive type it froze. Just something to be aware off. Besides all that, after the disc had finished after clicking on ignore, i checked the copies and they were perfect. every GB was counted for.

Comment

Working...
                      X