Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do clones for now and convert to full-disc copies later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do clones for now and convert to full-disc copies later?

Here is my question:

I am currently using DVDFab to clone my DVDs.

I was not sure whether I wanted to go with clone copies or full disc copies, so I decided to do clones for now.

My reasoning for choosing clones was that if in the future I want to down convert from clones to full disc copies, I can just re-run the ISOs through DVDFab copy on full-disc mode.

However, if I convert my DVDs to full disc copies, I do not have the option in the future to convert them to clones.

Is there anything wrong in my thinking? Is there any downside to creating full disc copies from ISO files rather than directly from the discs?

However, if I convert my DVDs to full disc copies, I do not have the option in the future to convert them to clones.
    When using Full Disc mode, you can also create an ISO file. You can also load the full disc folder copies into Clone/Burn mode to create an ISO file later.
    With Full Disc mode, you can 1:1 copy or compress it to a smaller size.
    Clone mode will always be 1:1 output.

Comment

When using Full Disc mode, some titles may still compress video a small amount if you use the default output size and the source is slightly larger. You can of course manually change the output size, but I presume DVDFab uses a slightly smaller size by default as a margin of protection so the disc is not written to the very edge that is more susceptible to damage. So personally, I always use Full Disc Copy and leave the default output size as is. Also, I believe, Clone Copy does not disable UOP's (User Operation Prohibitions) where Full Disc mode does. I always make a Clone Copy to my HHD, and then use that as a source for whatever copy mode I subsequently use (e.g. Clone, Full Disc or Movie Only). This way, if I get a bad burn for whatever reason, redoing the copy goes much faster since reading from HDD is faster than the Read/Burn device. If I get a clean burn I delete the copy from my HDD. Just my own personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
        When using Full Disc mode, some titles may still compress video a small amount if you use the default output size and the source is slightly larger. You can of course manually change the output size, but I presume DVDFab uses a slightly smaller size by default as a margin of protection so the disc is not written to the very edge that is more susceptible to damage. So personally, I always use Full Disc Copy and leave the default output size as is. Also, I believe, Clone Copy does not disable UOP's (User Operation Prohibitions) where Full Disc mode does. I always make a Clone Copy to my HHD, and then use that as a source for whatever copy mode I subsequently use (e.g. Clone, Full Disc or Movie Only). This way, if I get a bad burn for whatever reason, redoing the copy goes much faster since reading from HDD is faster than the Read/Burn device. If I get a clean burn I delete the copy from my HDD. Just my own personal preference.
        Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

When using Full Disc mode, you can also create an ISO file. You can also load the full disc folder copies into Clone/Burn mode to create an ISO file later.
          With Full Disc mode, you can 1:1 copy or compress it to a smaller size.
          Clone mode will always be 1:1 output.
          Thats what used to happen. For a while now FULL DISC simply doesn't work. I've tried several times to copy a dvd9 down to a dvd5 and even with ensuring dvd5 is set in the options it just doersn't work so I have to go back to DVD Shrink. At the moment FULL DISC does nothing - you might as well just use CLONE

Comment

Originally posted by phelings View Post

Thats what used to happen. For a while now FULL DISC simply doesn't work. I've tried several times to copy a dvd9 down to a dvd5 and even with ensuring dvd5 is set in the options it just doersn't work so I have to go back to DVD Shrink. At the moment FULL DISC does nothing - you might as well just use CLONE
            By "FULL DISC simply doesn't work", what actually did it mean? Title name, error message, and log file and any related info could be helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X