Request assistance with damaged discs - work around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request assistance with damaged discs - work around

I am backing up multi-season TV shows and unfortunately many discs are scratched or otherwise damaged. I usually do a full disc copy and occasionally have a task that takes much longer than others and I will often have an indication that ##### unreadable sectors were skipped. Sometimes the "time to go" will get into triple digit hours so I just cancel the task and consider the disc uncopyable. What I would like to do it use customize to attempt to extract individual episodes onto the hard drive and when I have found all that are not damaged, burn them onto a disc. It seems like a workable plan but I can't figure out how to go about it and tried to figure it out for myself with the tutorials but am failing.

Specific questions - should I save to an iso file? Can several iso files be combined onto a single disc burn?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on where to look for answers.

Originally posted by GeorgiaPilot View Post
    I am backing up multi-season TV shows and unfortunately many discs are scratched or otherwise damaged. I usually do a full disc copy and occasionally have a task that takes much longer than others and I will often have an indication that ##### unreadable sectors were skipped. Sometimes the "time to go" will get into triple digit hours so I just cancel the task and consider the disc uncopyable. What I would like to do it use customize to attempt to extract individual episodes onto the hard drive and when I have found all that are not damaged, burn them onto a disc. It seems like a workable plan but I can't figure out how to go about it and tried to figure it out for myself with the tutorials but am failing.

Specific questions - should I save to an iso file? Can several iso files be combined onto a single disc burn?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on where to look for answers.
    have you tried cleaning the damaged discs to see if that'll help ??
    there an older program called isopuzzle for CD/DVDs it's supposed to help to recover
    as much damaged data it possibly can.

Comment

Along with the suggestion offered by october262, if it's a light scratched disc, you might want to clean the disc with some liquid soap or a soft cloth and then set DVDFab to ignore all read errors to have a try and see if it can make a difference.
      Use Copy- Clone mode or Full Disc mode to 1:1 make a folder/iso file, and then use the copy as a source to customize again per your need.

Comment

Thanks for both replies. I have tried cleaning but still come across some that are truly damaged. I will try the ignore read errors. What is the difference between using iso or a folder?

Comment

I currently have two optical drives, an ASUS and and LG. I have frequently found that one will read a disk when the other will not. If you can get access to a different brand of drive, you might try that.

In addition, at one time there was a product called Skip Doctor would re-polish the surface of dvd's They also had a blu-ray version. I have that product and it has worked for me in recovering quite a few unreadable, scratched up disks. I do not believe the company is still in business, but you may be able to find it on ebay.

Comment

Working...
          X