This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to DVD, multiple problems

Hi, I'm having several problems with DVDFab 6.2.1.8 and have some questions. I used to use version 5 and had no problems. I recently purchased the lifetime subscription for DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile. Running Windows 7 64-bit, 4 gb RAM, 2 ghz dual core, Lite-ON IHAS220-08, Lite-ON DH20A4P.

I read in the FAQ that you can't copy a DVD on-the-fly; but I swear I used to be able to do this with 'Full Disc' and 'Clone' mode. 'On-the-fly' just means copy from original disc to blank disc directly, right? Now I can't select my drive as the output directory. Occasionally, it will let me choose it, but it appears as a folder icon, not a disc icon, and when I click 'Start', it says 'Failed to Create Directory'. Also, 'Write Data' mode doesn't work. I can select my source, but I can only select an output ISO; I can't set a drive with blank media as my output.

DMA is enabled, I also reset it in Settings. I've tried several different blank discs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ruslruslrusl View Post
    Hi, I'm having several problems with DVDFab 6.2.1.8 and have some questions. I used to use version 5 and had no problems. I recently purchased the lifetime subscription for DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile. Running Windows 7 64-bit, 4 gb RAM, 2 ghz dual core, Lite-ON IHAS220-08, Lite-ON DH20A4P.

I read in the FAQ that you can't copy a DVD on-the-fly; but I swear I used to be able to do this with 'Full Disc' and 'Clone' mode. 'On-the-fly' just means copy from original disc to blank disc directly, right? Now I can't select my drive as the output directory. Occasionally, it will let me choose it, but it appears as a folder icon, not a disc icon, and when I click 'Start', it says 'Failed to Create Directory'. Also, 'Write Data' mode doesn't work. I can select my source, but I can only select an output ISO; I can't set a drive with blank media as my output.

DMA is enabled, I also reset it in Settings. I've tried several different blank discs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand your problem... I've still got v6.2.1.8 on my system, and I can't duplicate your problem (XP Pro SP3, 2 RW Drives).

On the Main screen, after your disc has opened, on the Target line, is a big box that shows the text of your selected destination, next is a small box with an upside-down small triangle, then a folder icon, then an icon that looks like a disc on a piece of paper with a corner folded down.

If you click on that triangle, various destination options are shown (depending on what's on your system). In my case, it starts with the same drive as the source disc is in, and it's fully changeable to my second drive.

Same situation in Write Data Mode...

DVDFab doesn't do 'On-The-Fly' decrypting... a temp. file is written to the hard drive (even with another burner selected as Target), and after the rip is complete, the the program will start the write process.

If you aren't seeing this when you do the same thing, it's possible that either one of your drives is on the way out, or you have a loose cable connection to one of the drives.

Do they both show up in Windows Explorer? Can you catalog discs in both of them?

DC

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
      I'm not sure I understand your problem... I've still got v6.2.1.8 on my system, and I can't duplicate your problem (XP Pro SP3, 2 RW Drives).

On the Main screen, after your disc has opened, on the Target line, is a big box that shows the text of your selected destination, next is a small box with an upside-down small triangle, then a folder icon, then an icon that looks like a disc on a piece of paper with a corner folded down.

If you click on that triangle, various destination options are shown (depending on what's on your system). In my case, it starts with the same drive as the source disc is in, and it's fully changeable to my second drive.

Same situation in Write Data Mode...

DVDFab doesn't do 'On-The-Fly' decrypting... a temp. file is written to the hard drive (even with another burner selected as Target), and after the rip is complete, the the program will start the write process.

If you aren't seeing this when you do the same thing, it's possible that either one of your drives is on the way out, or you have a loose cable connection to one of the drives.

Do they both show up in Windows Explorer? Can you catalog discs in both of them?

DC

Ok, I understand the 'on-the-fly' process, but it still won't allow me to choose a drive as my destination in any write mode. I'm using Sony DVD+R 4.7GB discs right now. I've had problems with Sony CDs in the past, but these were free and had been working fine with version 5. I have some Verbatim DVD+R DLs coming in a few days. But I don't think the media is the problem since I've had several successful burns with them already and tried 20 blanks unsuccessfully since upgrading.

As for my target issue; when I used version 5, I could use the drop-down box (upside-down triangle)to select my destination drive, but I can't select it now. I can only select a folder, ISO image (using their respective buttons), or (this is the weird part) it will let me choose my drive using the folder icon, but then the drive appears as a folder and it attempts to write to it like a folder rather than as a drive.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'catalog' discs. But both drives work fine for playing and ripping CDs and DVDs; cables are secure; and I have a hard time thinking that both drives are dying since neither has been used that much. I guess I don't know what the standard is for burn count on a drive, but I'd estimate that the DH20A4P has burned around 200 CDs and maybe 50 DVDs, the iHAS220 has burned around 100 CDs and less than 10 DVDs. Are optical drives really that volatile that they need to be replaced every couple of years or several burns? Thanks.
      Last edited by ruslruslrusl; 03-22-2010, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Try this link below
        as you might not have activated DVDFab correctly

Registration Key Problems?

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
          Try this link below
          as you might not have activated DVDFab correctly

I was wondering about this as well. I was sent 3 emails with my purchase, one with a key for DVD to DVD, one for DVD to Mobile, and one that seems to be for both. Which do I use? Is the registration key that is in the text of the email the same as in the file that was attached?

Comment

Use the all in one attachment that works to activate both. Download it to the computer where it can be saved and then just double click it to activate all options that are paid for

Comment

I suspect regkey issues as well.
              Click on this link:

and be certain to retrieve DVDFab 6.x (all in one e-mail) regkey.

Double click on the attachment.
              If you still have trouble, click on and follow the suggestions in
              as posted above by AGJ
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                I suspect regkey issues as well.
                Click on this link:

and be certain to retrieve DVDFab 6.x (all in one e-mail) regkey.

Double click on the attachment.
                If you still have trouble, click on and follow the suggestions in
                as posted above by AGJ
                I've tried reinstalling using 'Run As Administrator' and having my key re-emailed to me (all in one), and both copy-paste and double-click methods to no avail. Still unable to select drives for output.

Comment

Could you post a screenshot?

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Could you post a screenshot?
                    I have the Admin account active, so I also tried logging in under that account and following the admin install instructions to no avail. Here are screen shots. I also included one of my registration screen to show that the program recognizes my regkey and says my features are active and enabled.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Maybe try with installing this Beta version below to see if it will work

DVDFab 6.2.2.0 Beta is out (January 7, 2010)

or you can try this beta below but mind you a few members are having issues with it not seeing the source DVD

DVDFab 7.0.2.5 Beta is out

Comment

This is darn peculiar.
                        A few thoughts.

How are your burners configured in your bios?
                        IDE ?...AHCI?...RAID?
                        In device manager > I'd try uninstalling your burners, reboot and let windoz reinstall and assign the appropriate drivers.

What location are you using for your temporary directory?
                        Could you post the file path?
                        Are you certain you have adequate space.
                        Please choose a different location.

How is your I/O setting configured in Fab?
                        Common Settings > DVD / Blu-ray > Read
                        Try Auto (default), SPTI and also try ASPI if still no luck

Comment

This is darn peculiar.
                          A few thoughts.

How are your burners configured in your bios?
                          IDE ?...AHCI?...RAID?
                          In device manager > I'd try uninstalling your burners, reboot and let windoz reinstall and assign the appropriate drivers.

What location are you using for your temporary directory?
                          Could you post the file path?
                          Are you certain you have adequate space.
                          Please choose a different location.

How is your I/O setting configured in Fab?
                          Common Settings > DVD / Blu-ray > Read
                          Try Auto (default), SPTI and also try ASPI if still no luck
                          BIOS says IDE, and I couldn't find a way to attempt to configure them otherwise. Tried uninstalling from device manager; didn't help. Temp directory is C:\Users\rusl\Documents\DVDFab\Temp\ for the software and C:\Users\rusl\AppData\Local\Temp for Windows. There is 45 gig of free space on my OS hard drive partition. I switched the software's temp directory over to my 1 TB media hard drive; didn't help. Tried all the I/O settings; no help. I'll try installing the older version of the software and then the new beta version and post back in a few minutes. Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                            Maybe try with installing this Beta version below to see if it will work

DVDFab 6.2.2.0 Beta is out (January 7, 2010)

or you can try this beta below but mind you a few members are having issues with it not seeing the source DVD

DVDFab 7.0.2.5 Beta is out
                            I just tried both versions you suggested and neither one fixed the problem.

I just hopped over to my XP installation (almost forgot it was there, haven't used it since installing 7) and found versions 5, 6, and 7 to be working perfectly. Both drives show up and are fully operational. I think I mentioned before, my drives work fine with all my other software. So I really think it's a compatibility issue with Win7 at this point.

Is there a way I can completely wipe all traces of DVDFab from my Win7 OS and try a fresh install? Other than reformatting of course. Each time I install a different version the program throughout this troubleshooting process, the new installation recognizes my registration key and already has it plugged in and ready to go. But alas, no use of my optical drives.

Any other suggestions? I'm going to forward this to tech support and see what they say. But in the meantime, I'm up for anything anyone can suggest. Thanks.

Comment

ruslruslrusl
                              Give this a try uninstall DVD Fab with its uninstaller then download the newest beta version but, when downloading Fab do not click run, click save and after it saves to your download folder a message should appear to open folder, open it but, right click Fab and click install it as administrator and see if this helps.
                              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X