This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFAB will not run

Just reinstalled DVDFAB 7.0.3.0 on my XP SP3 machine and it will not start. I get the Welcome Message box showing the options I have correctly licensed and when I click the button that reads Start DVDFAB it does absolutely nothing! Already went through the forums and uninstalled, cleaned up and reinstalled (run as Administrator, etc) with same issue. I just purchased this software and had high hopes for it, can anyone help?

I had the same problem and one of the BEST Moderator helped me. He gave me a link to the last version 6.0. I downloaded it and now its up and running. I can give you the link if you want. Just pm me
    Last edited by sarbare78; 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Still problems with standard DVD

Hey, I'm having the same problems as you guys. No solution given to me yet, either. Is there some reason you can't post the down-load site for the old version here?

Comment

DVDFab 7 won't launch in Windows XP

Originally posted by rbryant3 View Post
        Just reinstalled DVDFAB 7.0.3.0 on my XP SP3 machine and it will not start. I get the Welcome Message box showing the options I have correctly licensed and when I click the button that reads Start DVDFAB it does absolutely nothing! Already went through the forums and uninstalled, cleaned up and reinstalled (run as Administrator, etc) with same issue. I just purchased this software and had high hopes for it, can anyone help?
        The issue I was experiencing seems identical, to recap, after a fresh install of DVDFab 7 version 7.0.3.0 in XP with SP3 installed, I would launch and get to the license detail screen. I was able to enter registration/license information but when I would click to start the application it would just quit without any error message. If I clicked on the don't show this window option I would get nothing upon subsequent relaunches. I could see DVDFAB in the task manager for a brief moment as decribed in other posts.

I was able to fix the issue by launching DVDFab 6.2.1.8. It astutely pointed out that I didn't have DMA mode turned on for my DVD drive and after I told it to enable, and restarted, DVDFab 7.0.3.0 ran as expected after launching it.

My guess is there is some issue/bug with 7.0.3.0 with the DMA mode checking that is causing it to error out in XP which is why some people are reporting it is working fine (they have DMA mode enabled already), and others are reporting it is just quitting (no DMA turned on).

You can enable DMA mode manually, but I don't know how so I will not be included instructions to do so. Someone else may be able to help you out there with another post or you can Google it. In any case, no guarantee that this will fix you. However, it is the last thing I changed and then DVDFab 7 started working.

Good luck.

Regards,
        Robert Bravo

Comment

Fixed my issue

Thanks!! This DMA issue fixed my issue. My DVDFab is finally coming up.

Originally posted by robertbravo View Post
          The issue I was experiencing seems identical, to recap, after a fresh install of DVDFab 7 version 7.0.3.0 in XP with SP3 installed, I would launch and get to the license detail screen. I was able to enter registration/license information but when I would click to start the application it would just quit without any error message. If I clicked on the don't show this window option I would get nothing upon subsequent relaunches. I could see DVDFAB in the task manager for a brief moment as decribed in other posts.

I was able to fix the issue by launching DVDFab 6.2.1.8. It astutely pointed out that I didn't have DMA mode turned on for my DVD drive and after I told it to enable, and restarted, DVDFab 7.0.3.0 ran as expected after launching it.

My guess is there is some issue/bug with 7.0.3.0 with the DMA mode checking that is causing it to error out in XP which is why some people are reporting it is working fine (they have DMA mode enabled already), and others are reporting it is just quitting (no DMA turned on).

You can enable DMA mode manually, but I don't know how so I will not be included instructions to do so. Someone else may be able to help you out there with another post or you can Google it. In any case, no guarantee that this will fix you. However, it is the last thing I changed and then DVDFab 7 started working.

Good luck.

Regards,
          Robert Bravo

Comment

To make DMA work in XP, Right click on My Computer and select Device manager. Browse down to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and right click on Primary IDE Channel, select Properties and the Advanced settings. Ensure Transfer mode setting is "DMA if available". Click OK and exit...Check for Secondary IDE Channel as well..
            Note: this should only be needed for IDE, does not apply if SATA dives are used.
            Last edited by Topdog; 04-06-2010, 01:54 AM.

Comment

RobertBravo and TopDog .... Congratulations!!!! All but one of my 6 IDE settings was set to "DMA if available." When I changed the last one, 7.0.3.0 started working!!! Thanks.

Comment

Nice detective work everyone...
                Quite a few users have had problems with Fab 7.xxx, but most have not.
                I wonder how widespread this DMA issue is and what exactly is the cause of the degradation in data transfer specific to Fab 7 ???

In the words of my pal signals..."I love a good mystery".

Thanks to Topdog for posting the fix for DMA and as he said, definitely check the secondary IDE channel.
                Many rigs that are factory built (unless they're loaded) and certainly older ones running XP (yes, I still love XP even tho' I moved to Win7)
                will find the ODDs (burners and ROM drives) on the secondary IDE channel,
                although others including mine, will be found on both primary and secondary channels.

Also, it's not wholly accurate to say that DMA does not apply to SATA drives.
                It is a function of your bios.
                For eg., I have 4 SATA HDDs and 4 SATA ODDs. They all function in UDMA 5 mode since the bios is configured as IDE.
                This is not unusual.

By far the simplest method to enable DMA is to click on the Reset DMA tab in Fab > Common Settings > General
                However, it doesn't always work and doesn't always stick.

Here's a great tutorial with pics:

Instructions for enabling DMA

You can also attempt the fix by uninstalling the burners and then just reboot.
                Windows will recognize the hardware, reinstall and assign appropriate drivers

Lastly, if problems persist, you can run a registry patch, .VBS Script File.
                Click on the link in my sig:

Stubborn DMA Reset
                (Great article on DMA as well)
                Last edited by maineman; 04-06-2010, 04:21 AM.
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                X