X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pcouffin device question.

Hello all!
    I am new to this forum.
    First off, I am very happy with DVDFab and have no problems with it doing what it is supposed to do.

I just upgraded to version 7.0.4.0 from 6.2.1.8 Everything is fine, works like a charm.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium edition 6.1.7600 32 bit.

After the install I noticed a system notice about a Pcouffin Device driver is missing or not installed. I remembered seeing that same notice when I origionally installed version 6.2.1.8 .

Just curious what this is and why it is needed.
    The software is working fine no problems, I only use E-IDE or USB DVD-RW drives on my system, no SATA and only have the DVD TO DVD feature registered and dont use the other features such as blu-ray and DVD to mobile etc.

Any clue on what this Pcouffin device driver notice was all about?

Many thanks in advance to all who replie.
    Last edited by MrBruce; 04-18-2010, 08:06 PM. Reason: added more details
    DVDFab is number 1!

MrBruce
    I believe Pcouffin.sys is a part of VSO engine in DVDFab. In a sense, it's an ancient driver and rarely used these days. Why Fengtao uses this engine in their software is a different story, but in your case I would suggest to re-install DVDFab as administrator. BTW, do you still have v.6 installed on your machine. I'm not implying anything, just asking.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
      MrBruce
      I believe Pcouffin.sys is a part of VSO engine in DVDFab. In a sense, it's an ancient driver and rarely used these days. Why Fengtao uses this engine in their software is a different story, but in your case I would suggest to re-install DVDFab as administrator. BTW, do you still have v.6 installed on your machine. I'm not implying anything, just asking.
      Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes as a matter of fact I still have the 6.0 version installed, the upgrade installed into a different folder named DVDFab7 and correctly imported my license key into the new software.

When I upgraded through the DVDFab6 program it just installed the DVDFab7 not offering the option to install under the administrator permissions.

If that driver is not needed, then I guess I am good to go, because the program is not giving me any problems installed as it is.

During the install it offered to install another program called VSO something or another but I declined that offer and skipped it.
      Last edited by MrBruce; 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM. Reason: typo corrections
      DVDFab is number 1!

Comment

During the install it offered to install another program called VSO something or another but I declined that offer and skipped it.

That is why the driver is missing because it is an integral part of VSO.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

So can just reinstall the current version overtop and choose to install the VSO software so you not have that message

Comment

Here what you should do:
            aa. uninstall v7.
            bb. download again or locate on your computer executable file (.exe file) for Fab 7040
            cc. right-click on it and select install as administrator
            dd. when installed, do not run the application, but right-click on icon and select run as administrator
            ee. enter all your keys and activate the license
            ff. restart application and give it a try (please report you progress here)

On a side notes, I will suggest to replace VSO burning engine with ImgBurn. Here's how to do that: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I'd do as suggested by IPopov50 and use Img.
              VSO has been problematic for many users.
              Honestly, it has worked well for me, but Img is far superior in many respects....more reliable, more configurable
              and has outstanding support from its author, LIGHTNING UK!.

Also, just an FYI,
              VSO has used the patin-couffin driver for many years.
              Recently, I think it was late Fall '09, VSO switched to SPTI.
              The patin-couffin driver is still installed with VSO, but not needed.
              As a matter of fact, it has caused problems for users and VSO support recommends uninstalling it in these instances.

To my knowledge, no other software uses it.

As others said, if you ever want it back, it'll load with Fab...just leave VSO ticked on (default setting) during the install.
              I'm pretty sure it loads with VSO Inspector too, although this may have changed.
              Last edited by maineman; 04-18-2010, 11:07 PM.
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the many good replies I have recieved so far, you guys are great!

Ok, I already had imgburn 2.5.1.0 installed.

The strange part is for the most part without that driver installed I am still able to copy and burn DVDs successfully with just the DVDFab software alone.

The notice I got is this one I found in my event log.

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver NULL Driver for Device Instance ID ROOT\PCOUFFIN\0000 with the following status: 0xe0000203.

But I have not seen this error re-appear since the initial restart requested by the program after it was installed.

So, like I said, it appears I don't really need the driver to use the program for both copying and burning, because both work fine.

You might ask why I am posting here if it is working OK, well basically, I was just curious what the driver is needed for and if it was important to have it installed just to use the DVD to DVD portion of the software.

I personaly like this program a lot, runs very well on my computer IMO.
                Last edited by MrBruce; 04-19-2010, 01:07 AM.
                DVDFab is number 1!

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                  Recently, I think it was late Fall '09, VSO switched to SPTI.
                  Maybe you missed this ^ ?

If you're using a recent version of Fab/VSO, you don't need the patin-couffin driver
                  since SPTI is utilized to access your drives

//Edit
                  Glad you're happy with the product and the forum...
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                    Maybe you missed this ^ ?

If you're using a recent version of Fab/VSO, you don't need the patin-couffin driver
                    since SPTI is utilized to access your drives

//Edit
                    Glad you're happy with the product and the forum...
                    Yes the SPTI is probably the reason all is well.
                    And Yes this site is great, thanks for all the input and suggestions I have received here from all of you!

Cheers and enjoy!
                    DVDFab is number 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X