This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New user looking for some help!

Hello everyone. I'm a new user to DVDFab, and I'm looking for some help.

Specs: Windows XP, DVDFab 7.0.4.0 (Trial edition for the moment), eMachines Desktop (2 CD/DVD Disc Drives in the tower)

When I put in the DVD I want to make a copy of, a pop up comes up reading "No media detected in drive E:. Please interest a compatible media to start the write process". I tried putting in a blank-DVD, did not work, and then I tried putting the actual DVD in, and this also did not work.

What am I doing wrong? The Source reads D:\______ (<- The DVD I have in the drive) and the Target reads E:\[LG CD-RW CED-8120B 2.00 [(Ide)].

Is that how the Source/Target are supposed to be?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

bkmaC
    Is your E:\[LG CD-RW CED-8120B 2.00 a burner or just a CD/Rom drive?
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
      bkmaC
      Is your E:\[LG CD-RW CED-8120B 2.00 a burner or just a CD/Rom drive?
      Google says it is a CD/ROM no way will it work with DVDs.

LG CED-8120B (PC)

The LG CED-8120B is an internal CD-RW
      Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
        Google says it is a CD/ROM no way will it work with DVDs.
        Thats what I thought
        bkmac what is the make and model of your D: drive?
        Last edited by CBR929; 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM.
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Thats what I thought
          bkmac what is the make and model of your D: drive?
          If I'm not mistaken, the make is LG, not sure on the model though (it just says DVD Rom on it). Is there a way I can find out the model? Also, on the actual E: drive it has buttons that read Read and Write.

So, am I out of luck with using DVDFab on this computer?

Edit: So, after looking at the actual tower, I think I've come to the realization that I do not have a DVD Burner in the eMachines Desktop.

A big d'oh! on my part.
          Last edited by bkmac; 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmac View Post

Edit: So, after looking at the actual tower, I think I've come to the realization that I do not have a DVD Burner in the eMachines Desktop.

A big d'oh! on my part.
            Thats what I said in post #3.

Comment

bkmac
              Go into Device Manager, the first thing you need to do is get into the Windows Device Manager, if you are using Windows Classic view just Right Click “My Computer” icon on your desktop and select “Manage". The “Computer Management” window will open and then you just need to click on “Device Manager” in the left pane and it will list the devices in the right pane.
              If you are not using the classic view the simplest way to open “Device Manager” is to click “Start” then “Run” and paste the following devmgmt.msc in and then click OK.
              Once in click DVD/CD-ROM Drives and write down the models of your drives that are listed and post back.
              CBR929

Comment

bkmac
                Go into Device Manager, the first thing you need to do is get into the Windows Device Manager, if you are using Windows Classic view just Right Click “My Computer” icon on your desktop and select “Manage". The “Computer Management” window will open and then you just need to click on “Device Manager” in the left pane and it will list the devices in the right pane.
                If you are not using the classic view the simplest way to open “Device Manager” is to click “Start” then “Run” and paste the following devmgmt.msc in and then click OK.
                Once in click DVD/CD-ROM Drives and write down the models of your drives that are listed and post back.
                CBR929
                I'll try this out on my eMachines Desktop and see what happens from there. (If I do this, am I configuring it just to find out if I have the burner or not, or am I changing settings to be now be able to burn a DVD on my eMachines Desktop?)

However, I found out that my laptop (Sony Vaio) does in fact have a DVD Burner, and so it worked there. I have another question now. If I do in fact buy a copy of DVDFab, does it register to only one computer/laptop? For example, can I download the program onto my laptop and onto my fathers Desktop (which does have a DVD Burner)?

Thanks for the help once again CBR (and to anyone else who does). I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmac View Post
                  (If I do this, am I configuring it just to find out if I have the burner or not, or am I changing settings to be now be able to burn a DVD on my eMachines Desktop?)

However, If I do in fact buy a copy of DVDFab, does it register to only one computer/laptop? For example, can I download the program onto my laptop and onto my fathers Desktop (which does have a DVD Burner)?

Thanks for the help once again CBR (and to anyone else who does). I really appreciate it.
                  Your answer to your first question is so that I may see if you do in fact have a burner, you are not changing anything on your machine, this information just tells us the make and model of your drives.

Second question is yes you can install it on more than one computer BUT you should only run the software on one computer at a time so your key does not get blacklisted.
                  Also if buying you should consider the lifetime license it is what I have and is reasonable.
                  CBR929

Comment

Your answer to your first question is so that I may see if you do in fact have a burner, you are not changing anything on your machine, this information just tells us the make and model of your drives.

Second question is yes you can install it on more than one computer BUT you should only run the software on one computer at a time so your key does not get blacklisted.
                    Also if buying you should consider the lifetime license it is what I have and is reasonable.
                    CBR929
                    After going through Device Manager, the DVD/CD-ROM drives read as follows: HL-DT-ST-DVD ROM GDR8161B and LG CD-RW CED-8120B.

And sounds good on the buying question I asked. I'm going to check out the prices, it definitely seems like a solid investment.

Thanks once again.

Comment

This looks like you have a DVD Reader only and a CD Writer so you will not be able to burn DVD's.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake but a replacement DVD Writer is very inexpensive.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Desktop DVD writers are about $40 USD or less and just might get free shipping as well from newegg

Comment

bkmac

GregiBoy This looks like you have a DVD Reader only and a CD Writer so you will not be able to burn DVD's.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake but a replacement DVD Writer is very inexpensive.
                          AGJ Desktop DVD writers are about $40 USD or less and just might get free shipping as well from newegg

Sorry for not getting back yesterday, computer problems both mods are correct, another thing to consider if your replacing your drives is whether they are IDE or Sata and considering the drives that are in there now they are probably IDE.
                          You might want to have someone check this for you. If purchasing Fab on checkout make sure to add the 20% discount code on the top of the page.
                          Hope this helps you and welcome to Fab
                          CBR929

Comment

Gregi, AGJ, and CBR (no worries, thanks once again!), thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it, especially the fact they are quick responses. Some forums I post on looking for help, I don't receive any for sometimes days at a time.

So far so good on using DVDFab on my laptop. I will definitely look into making a purchase. I just want to reconfirm something.

CBR, you said if I do in fact make a purchase, I can use it on both my laptop and my father's Desktop. Does this mean I am able to use the registration key (or whatever it may be) twice? How does this work?
                            Last edited by bkmac; 04-27-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, just use the registration key twice but do not use both machines at the same time as there is a good chance that the key will end up blacklisted.
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                              X