This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDfab sensitive to disk scratches?

Is DVD fab particularly sensitive to scratched/damaged disks? I tried to copy a scratched DVD of "X-Men Origins - Wolverine" over the weekend but it would not read the disk. The disk played fine on my Panasonic DVD player. In the past, I have used disk copying software to salvage scratched DVDs that wouldn't play on my player but would after copying (on the same computer so I don't think its my Plextor drive).

No, not overly sensitive at all.

Here are some ideas:

1) Alter the PathPlayer settings, ie., try both "Always enable PathPlayer" and "Disable PathPlayer".

2) Be certain you're using the latest version.

3) Clean the disc, even if it looks pristine.
    Use a microfiber cloth (lens cloth) and Isopropyl Alcohol, Windex, etc.,(no plastic solvents).
    Be sure to wipe from the inside of the disc (center spindle area) out, like spokes on a wheel.

If the disc is scratched, you can try Brasso Metal Polish...according to the label it is ok for plastic watch crystals.
    (Brasso and a microfiber cloth has saved me a few times. I've also heard some success stories with Pledge Furniture Polish, although I haven't tried this one personally).

4) Try another ODD (optical disc drive)...occasionally where one drive will fail, another will "read" the disc.

5) Alter the settings in "Common Settings" > "Read".
    This is a shot in the dark, but has worked a few times for me).

Tick "Ignore all reading errors automatically".
    (This may cause you to actually copy read errors, but it may render to disc "rippable" and give you a playable copy)
    and
    untick "Enable read-ahead cache".
    The will probably cause a decrease in read speed, but again, may allow the rip to proceed.

6) Return the disc to the retailer and exchange it.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks Maineman. I wasn't sure if I "Ignored all reading errors automatically" the disk would play. I'll try that next time.

(PS: I didn't realize "Brasso" was available in the US - I though that was an old British product/brand!)

Comment

Originally posted by sktn77a View Post
        Thanks Maineman. I wasn't sure if I "Ignored all reading errors automatically" the disk would play. I'll try that next time.
        No problem.

It might not play correctly 100%...I can remember 1 tv series bkup disc that was slightly glitchy..pixelated, but only for a few seconds. It was no big deal...at least it ripped and played ok for about 99.99% of the disc...and the player just ran right over this portion...didn't freeze up.
        No guarantees though

Yeah, Brasso should be around. I bought 2 of 'em at Wally World...
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
        X