X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No movie, just files

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie here, and yesterday I tried to backup 3 movies (DVD to DVD) using the "main movie" and "customise" options. When I tried to play these DVDs on my panasonic DVD player I just saw a couple of audio and video folders (with files in). Not really sure how to get to see the movie I double clicked on the first video file and sure enough the movie started. But it stopped again and the end of the file. It seems the only way to see the movies would be to work my way through the files - not good!

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by spartacus View Post
    When I tried to play these DVDs on my panasonic DVD player I just saw a couple of audio and video folders (with files in). Not really sure how to get to see the movie I double clicked on the first video file and sure enough the movie started.
    Hi spartacus and welcome,

I'm not quite connecting the dots....maybe I need more coffee.
    It seems you're talking apples and oranges in the same sentence

How could you be viewing and double clicking on various files when viewing from your standalone player?

What happens when you put the disc in your panny standalone player?
    Does the disc play?

A typical dvd is comprised of a VIDEO_TS FOLDER and AUDIO_TS FOLDER.
    The AUDIO_TS FOLDER is usually empty.
    The VIDEO_TS FOLDER contains a number of files... .VOB, .BUP, .IFO
    This is normal.

Now, in your pc, if you just "open" various files on the disc with windows, then you will only open and see that particular file.
    This is normal behavior.

When playing the disc in your pc, right click on the drive (the disc title should be displayed) and select the player you wish to open with...or simply click play.
    (You should also be able to just double click to bring up your default software player...I'm guessing WMP).

Do not click "open" or "explore" or you will be opening individual files.
    Is this what's happening?

Also recommend you download and install VLC media player.
    It's free, easy to use and is a little gem of a software player.
    It does not rely on outside codecs and will play darn near anything.
    With VLC, click on Media > click on Open Folder...do not click open file

Here you go:
    For windows:

For all OS/Open-source:

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by maineman; 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi,

thanks for the welcome. I'm probably not explaining myself very well, being a relative newbie to this, so I'll have another bash:

OK, so I make a copy of a movie on DVD, whic seems to go fine. I then take the copied DVD and put it into my standalone DVD player. When I've done this in the past with DVD Shrink-copied DVDs the film will start playing immediately or I'll get a menu screen from which I can select "play movie." When I do this with a DVDFab copied DVD however, my standalone player just shows my the AUDIO_TS FOLDER and the VIDEO_TS FOLDER. Effectively I just see what I would see if I "explored" the DVD on my PC.

Now, I can use my standalone player's remote to select the various video files and play them: but if, e.g. a copied movie has 5 video files then the movie would stop playing after the first file and I would then have to select the second etc etc. Not a great way of watching a movie!

Does this make sense?

Comment

Hi again,

Ok, actually you did a great job of explaining what occurred and while your initial explanation was accurate, what's happening doesn't make sense.

Please take alook at the Help Us Help You sticky thread (link in my sig)
        Tell us, in detail, what application, version of Fab you're using in addition to some of the other info.

It almost sounds like the .IFO files are not being copied (or are missing)...hence there is no "navigation". The .IFO files do not contain any video files, they contain menu and other info.

What movie title is this? a commercial press?

Please open in Explorer, IsoBuster or similar and post a screenshot of the files in the VIDEO_TS FOLDER
        Last edited by troy512; 10-10-2009, 05:46 AM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Sorry, I have to run and do an errand before work.
          I'll logon as I get a chance from work.
          Someone is usually around to help...

Comment

Thanks - I'll compile that info and get back to you.

Comment

Hi,

OK, here's some more info:

- it DOES look as if the .IFO files were copied; here's a screenshot:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

In answer to the questions:
              If this happens with all discs or just one
              - has happened on Sony and Maxell discs
              Your operating system/CPU/memory configuration
              - Microsoft XP professional version 2002 service pack 2/Intel Core 2 duo CPU P8600 2.4Ghz/912MB RAM
              If you are using external hard drives or optical drives
              - no, internal
              If you have made any recent changes to your OS or system hardware
              - no
              If you have other DVD or BD software installed, particularly if recently added.
              - yes, DVD shrink

Hope that helps

thanks

Comment

...forgot to add the version is DVDFab6105Beta and I've tried this on 3 commercial movie DVDs

thanks

Comment

Thanks for posting back with additional info.
                  I'm still at a loss to explain this...never seen this behavior previously, not on commercial dvds.

Sorry another question.
                  Do these files play back correctly when viewed from the hdd and not the bkup discs?

If the files are no longer on your hdd, just rip a movie again and choose a location on your hdd as the Target.
                  In the future, when you rip and then burn to a blank disc, you can also "save" the files in the temporary directory by unticking delete temp files in Common Settings.

Recommend you use VLC media player for a software player.
                  It's free and is really the best software player around
                  For windows:
                  Last edited by troy512; 10-10-2009, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Copying to the HDD worked - thanks! Would you like a more detailed explanation of what worked and how I did it fo future reference?

Comment

Originally posted by spartacus View Post
                      Copying to the HDD worked - thanks! Would you like a more detailed explanation of what worked and how I did it fo future reference?

Hey spartacus,

Whoa, we 're actually online at the same time.
                      Sounds good.
                      If you post a burn log or 2, that'll give us quite a bit of info and it'll be easy for you to just c&p it...

The default location is:
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

You're probably using VSO (Fab's default burn engine).
                      It's been buggy for quite a few users..
                      Recommend you try Img.
                      There's a great video tutorial by troy512 on how to set it up with Fab.
                      Once installed, it is fairly well integrated with Fab and will burn within the Fab app.

Last edited by maineman; 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X