X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Pathplayer in v7

Lifetime subscriber for 'DVD to DVD'.
    PC is an i7-920 running Win7-64 with 6GB RAM.

I'm still working through my DVD collection, using Fab to shovel the data onto my hard drive where I use HandBrake to encode it for use on my PopCorn player.

Hit some issues with some older DVDs in the last week or so and finally sat down and did some proper testing today so I could report the issue.

The DVD for these tests is Andromeda, Season 1 Disk 7 (labelled A.07), Region 2

I rip the 'Full Disc' to my hard drive and then encode the appropriate titles.

At no time does DVD Fab crash but the data produced causes both VLC Player and HandBrake to crash.

DVDFab 7-0-6-7
    If I rip with PathPlayer 'always on' then the data causes VLC and Handbrake to crash when they try to load it.
    If I rip with PathPlayer disabled then both VLC and HB are fine with it.

I hadn't got round to uninstalling DVDFab 6, so thought I'd try with that.
    DVDFab 6-2-2-0
    Ripping with PathPlayer on results in data that both VLC and HB are fine with.

Decided to try a couple of versions inbetween 6220 and 7067.
    Both 7-0-3-0 and 7-0-6-2 produce the same results as 7-0-6-7, ie. with PathPlayer on the data will crash both VLC and HB and with PathPlayer off they are both fine with the data.

So something has changed in the behaviour of Fab with PathPlayer on between v6 and v7.

I encountered the same sort of issues with a number of early seasons of Friends, which I ripped en-masse last week.

If there's anything else I can do to help diagnose the issue, then just ask, else, for now, I think I'm going to set PathPlayer to disabled, which doesn't seem to be recommended, but I am having to re-rip quite a few DVDs now as the data cannot be used by VLC or Handbrake
    Attached Files

Some older movies require pathplayer to be disabled usually ones older than 2006 as that was when ArccOs was introduced if I remember correctly

Comment

But why the different behaviour between v6 and v7 of Fab?

Before I moved to v7 (v7-0-3-0 in April), I had only had a handful of discs that needed PP off in 18 months of ripping.

I've now had a substantial number of them with various v7 releases but they still rip fine with v6220 / PP on.

That seems to imply an issue has crept into the v7 PathPlayer code that was not there with the v6 PP code.

Comment

No idea what happened as I not use VLC player or handbrake as I use DVDFab mobile to convert and WMC to play my rips no crashes at all

Comment

I'm a big fan of VLC and while I have used handbrake a couple of times, I really don't use it so I can't speak to issues with it.

Personally, I'm seeing some of what you describe, but perhaps not to the same extent.
          I see no problem with having PP disabled as a default setting, but I think the following may be preferred:

Keep Fab 7.xxx installed with PP always enabled.
          Keep Fab 6.xxx installed with PP always enabled (or disabled ...whatever you find more practical).
          Both applications are installed in separate folders and will remain totally separate apps.

Process the older flicks with Fab 6 as you won't need the newer decrypting capability anyway.
          You will always run across the occasional problematic disc where you have to finesse the software a bit, but this works well for me.
          I do a lot of DVD to Mobile and since the files are already decrypted, I have a Fab 6 app with all the decrypting capabilities turned off.
          I also run multiple instances of Fab simultaneously and have no problems.
          Last edited by maineman; 06-05-2010, 05:00 PM. Reason: additional comment
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
          X