This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

illegal mode

I've had a problem with several dvd-rw's. I'll successfully burn one movie on them but when I go to burn another movie on the same dvd-rw's, the burner program (nero 7) states this is an illegal mode for this dvd. I've even erased the dvd entirely yet get the same results. I can use the dvd in my panasonic dvd recorder but not use it to burn with dvd fab anymore. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nero has issues with RW media, always has. Download ImgBurn it's free and links to it on this forum. Select "Drive" then Erase Disk use full erase it will take a while but I'll bet that fixes the disk.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

This will not happen if you use Imgburn as the burn engine.
      If there is anything still on the disc Imgburn on command will overwrite it.

Comment

You are a hard man to beat to the punch.

Comment

Hi nomad and welcome,

A few comments...
          -RW is lousy media for video archiving
          Also repetitive, one-time-viewing, erasing and doing again, not really a great idea. Sorry, nothing personal there.

Having said that, a few suggestions.

The -RW discs may be wearing out.
          Try Imgburn as your burn engine and you may get more mileage out of 'em
          First off, try it within the Fab app...as Fab's default burn engine.
          If no go, try Img as a standalone app.

You can scan the -RW with nero cd-dvd speed and check the integrity of the media.
          You'll have to search for the freeware version since nero no calls it opti-drive and charges for it.

Pick up some standard +/-R media.
          You can get quality stuff on sale for probably $0.15-0.020 a disc...maybe cheaper.

//Edit
          Especially hard when you're busy grilling, your daughter needs you to help her find "something" (late for work), your wife calls
          and oh yeah, you're as OLD AS DIRT...lol
          Last edited by maineman; 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
            You are a hard man to beat to the punch.
            Well we always seem to go down the same path so it don't matter who's first I guess. I've had Nero since version 6 and I have 9 now and still there are problems with RW media, especially if the OP is going from a standalone recorder to the computer. Those stand alone recorders use a non-standard format that Nero has a little trouble with.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              Well we always seem to go down the same path so it don't matter who's first I guess. I've had Nero since version 6 and I have 9 now and still there are problems with RW media, especially if the OP is going from a standalone recorder to the computer. Those stand alone recorders use a non-standard format that Nero has a little trouble with.
              And if he is using Nero to erase the disc that is a problem as Nero never seems to do a decent job of clearing the disc.

Comment

Working...
              X