This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian DVDs - Region Code problem?

I've now downloaded four different trials of DVD copiers, DVDFab being the latest, and none of them have been able to produce a playable disc from two discs I got from Hong Kong. First, the originals and every copy I've made play just fine on my PC, as do the HDD files - but on either of my DVD players I get a "cannot play" message.

One disc (DVD5) is marked Region Code 2,5 Exactly what the double coding means, I'm not sure. The other (DVD9) is marked as Region 0, but in spite of the region-free code will not play, nor will any copies. After creating a number of DVD-R coasters, I started using -RW discs, but it made no difference otherwise. Every disc I create behaves identically to the originals. The other programs claim to remove all codes automatically. DVDFab is the only one to ask that you select the region of the disc, so on the Region 2,5 I did 2, and then 5. Next I went through all the remaining codes, and finally ended up with six copies that would not play.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Has anyone else found a way to solve the problem?

Are you trying to play PAL movies in a NTSC player that will not play Pal format?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

You mean NTSC, don't you, G?

A lot of set-top players sold in North America will not play PAL disks which quite a lot of the rest of the world use as their standard.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        You mean NTSC, don't you, G?

Yes I did and I corrected my typo.

Comment

Also, I would set Fab to totally remove any region codes.

All this is, is a ploy by the studios to maximise their revenues by timing different releases worldwide.

NTSC/PAL set top players are as cheap as chips but the TV also has to be multi-system capable.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Phrase Region Code 2,5 means, it can be played back at Region 2 and on Region 5.
            人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
            Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

This appears to be the problem - the DVD9 is marked as PAL, while the DVD5 is not designated. I don't suppose there's a simple way to convert to NTSC.

I'm not sure what "multi-system capable." Would it be likely that my brand new Sony flatscreen has this capability?

Also, how does one set Fab to remove all region codes?

Thanks for relieving me of my ignorance.

Comment

There is a good chance that your Sony will be able to display PAL especially if connected by HDMI.

For the region codes, go into Settings, Protection.

If I was going to have to buy a new set top box, I would most probably look at a media player instead. Just use "WD TV" as a search on this form to get some idea what I am talking about. Again, inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                X