Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ripped and burned avatar movie only at 65%. this was the max i could get out of it. is there a way to get more. when playing the movie resolution is not as sharp. any help would be appreciated. used dvd5. thanks.

You would never get any better than that with DVD5. However, you do have a couple of strings in your hands, and here's what you can do:
    (a) of course best way to preserve quality is to copy 1:1 to a DVDR DL
    (b) if you have to squeeze it on DVD5, you can trim movie. Credits at the end of the movie usually a last chapter, you can cut it off and it will give you a few Mb added to the quality of main movie
    (c) downgrade your sound. If you don't care about quality of the sound, you can go as low as 2ch mp3, and that will add a couple of hundreds Mb to your quality.

Anyway, if you want to have great quality,sharp picture and awesome sound - Blu-ray baby, Blu-ray

Originally posted by golfingfool View Post
    ripped and burned avatar movie only at 65%. this was the max i could get out of it. is there a way to get more. when playing the movie resolution is not as sharp. any help would be appreciated. used dvd5. thanks.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingfool View Post
      You didn't say and I hate to assume BUT I assume you used DVDFAB to compress when ripping to HD or going source to destination DVD drive.
      I rip at 100% then use DVD Shrink, which has a deep analysis feature to try to restore as much color and sharpness as possible. I've always found it be pretty good (as well as eliminating unneeded soundtracks, etc.) to a certain point (probably with 65% as a bottom line), Of course, the suggestion to use a DL DVD is well taken (which I do on selected backups) and the best thing to do unless going to blu ray, as was also suggested.

Comment

As said above, if you wish to maintain the best possible quality using a DVD5, use "Main Movie" only but I know the version of Avatar that I have does not have many extras on it to cut out.

If this quality is not acceptable, use a DVDR DL.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by Miami View Post
          You didn't say and I hate to assume BUT I assume you used DVDFAB to compress when ripping to HD or going source to destination DVD drive.
          I rip at 100% then use DVD Shrink, which has a deep analysis feature to try to restore as much color and sharpness as possible. I've always found it be pretty good (as well as eliminating unneeded soundtracks, etc.) to a certain point (probably with 65% as a bottom line), Of course, the suggestion to use a DL DVD is well taken (which I do on selected backups) and the best thing to do unless going to blu ray, as was also suggested.
          You assumed correct. Thanks for the feedback. I'll rip at 100% next time and use DVD Shrink. On another note, do you all use Verbatim DL discs. That's the one that seems to be recommended.

Comment

In order to fit Avatar on an SL disc, you're looking at compression of about 65%. This is just the main movie and only the AC-3/5.1 sound track.
            On a movie that is so dependent on its visual impact, do you really want to compress to 65% with DVD to DVD?...At what cost?

While I have nothing against shrink, (it's like an old friend and I've always loved the customized compression capability),
            deep analysis isn't gonna save this one.
            Honestly, I've never thought that deep analysis improved upon Fab's quality, but, again, nothing against shrink.
            To each his own.

Unless your watching this bkup on a 21" cathode ray tv, do yourself a favor and burn it with no compression to a DL.
            At Sam's Club, a Verbatim +R DL (MIS) disc is gonna run about $0.50 each.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
              In order to fit Avatar on an SL disc, you're looking at compression of about 65%. This is just the main movie and only the AC-3/5.1 sound track.
              On a movie that is so dependent on its visual impact, do you really want to compress to 65% with DVD to DVD?...At what cost?

While I have nothing against shrink, (it's like an old friend and I've always loved the customized compression capability),
              deep analysis isn't gonna save this one.
              Honestly, I've never thought that deep analysis improved upon Fab's quality, but, again, nothing against shrink.
              To each his own.

Unless your watching this bkup on a 21" cathode ray tv, do yourself a favor and burn it with no compression to a DL.
              At Sam's Club, a Verbatim +R DL (MIS) disc is gonna run about $0.50 each.
              You are right, tried Shrink and it didn't work any better. Thanks for the heads up on the Verbatim. I'm going that route.

Comment

Working...
              X