This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Practice DVD to Mobile Question

I have followed the instructions from GregiBoy's post"Best Practice DVD to Mobile as far as ripping to a folder.

His instructions say to open VLC Player to check the rip. If I understand the instructions, I am to navigate to the directory that was created by the rip. If I do that, the movie will indeed play exactly as it would if I played it from the DVD player, that is starting with the previews and so on. When it finally gets to the main menu, with the buttons for play, set up and so on, none of them will work.

If I open VLC and navigate to the folder created by the rip, then to the Video file, then the movie starts with the main menu and the buttons, play, setup and so on do work.

Is there no way to open this rip in VLC so I get the full DVD and can still work the menus?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Starlighterone.

What you are doing seems to be correct but this is what I do.

Using Windoze Explorer, navigate to the Folder that contains the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, right click, Play with VLC
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Last night I uninstalled VLC 1.0.5 and installed 1.1.1 and now right clicking the folder and opening it with VLC starts the movie at the main menu.

Comment

Ok second question I would ask is since we have ripped the movie to a folder as per your instructions, why are you then wanting to rip it again from DVD to Mobile instead of ripping it from File to Mobile? I realize your instructions say to rip it from the file we created with the first rip, but you don't then use file to mobile for the second rip.

Ok a third question then would be what format do you want the mobile rip to be? Does it depend on the media streaming device I use? Right now I don't own a device to stream the video to my TV so should I put off the rip from DVD to Mobile until I purchase something? I did rip 6 movies to Zune for my wife, but the zune does not support 5.1 Dolby Surround sound so I don't want to use that for the TV. Your instructions say to be sure to select 5.1 Surround Sound but I do not see where I am supposed to make that selection so I am guessing it must be for one of the mobile choices but you don't say which one.
        Last edited by Starlighterone; 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlighterone View Post
          Ok second question I would ask is since we have ripped the movie to a folder as per your instructions, why are you then wanting to rip it again from DVD to Mobile instead of ripping it from File to Mobile? I realize your instructions say to rip it from the file we created with the first rip, but you don't then use file to mobile for the second rip.
          Because you did not rip it to a file, but folder. You can follow DVD root directory and get to the VOB file, and use at as source for File to Mobile, but you will loose DVD overhead (chapters, etc.). So, I wouldn't recommend it

Ok a third question then would be what format do you want the mobile rip to be? Does it depend on the media streaming device I use? Right now I don't own a device to stream the video to my TV so should I put off the rip from DVD to Mobile until I purchase something? I did rip 6 movies to Zune for my wife, but the zune does not support 5.1 Dolby Surround sound so I don't want to use that for the TV. Your instructions say to be sure to select 5.1 Surround Sound but I do not see where I am supposed to make that selection so I am guessing it must be for one of the mobile choices but you don't say which one.
          If you do not have particular format in mind, I would recommend to use MKV. It's a nice container with little overhead and playable by any software player.
          Or you can store your DVD rips on external HDD and convert them to a desired format as needed.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

As IPopov has said above, you need to use DVD to Mobile, not File to Mobile, because what you have created on your hard disk is the DVD STRUCTURE which contains all the information on chapters, audio track, subtitles, etc.

If you have a look at the VIDEO_TS directory, you will see three types of files there, VOB, IFO & BUP. The VOB's contain the media streams, the IFO files contain the INFO needed to play the streams correctly and the BUP files are backups of the IFO files in case they are ever damaged.

Also as IP said, MKV is a good choice and these days, I would not even consider purchasing a media player that did not support playing of MKV's.

Hope this helps.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I convert to AVI so I can play my stored movies on my Xbox 360 via ethernet. It won't play MKV files.

Comment

Note that I said:-

Also as IP said, MKV is a good choice and these days, I would not even consider purchasing a media player that did not support playing of MKV's.

Originally posted by AzDragonLord View Post
                I convert to AVI so I can play my stored movies on my Xbox 360 via ethernet. It won't play MKV files.

Comment

Working...
                X