X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making single file from DVD for playback

Hi,

I use DVDFAB to make M2TS files from Blu ray disc and it produces one M2TS file that range from 15-40GB in size. The DVDFAB process takes only about 30-40 mins. I store these files on an external hard drive and they play back beautifully through my SageTV box. Now I'm trying to do the same type of thing with standard DVDs but the default settings for DVD to DVD>Main Movie (The same setting I use for Blu ray to Blu ray) produces 3 or 4 VOB files instead of one playable M2TS file. I've looked though the setting but can't find one that does what the Blu ray to Blu ray process does. Can I do something similar to what I'm doing with Blu ray with standard DVD? The VOB files are OK. I just don't know how to make one file.

Thanks in advance

You will not always end up with 1 x M2TS file from BlueRay as it entirely depends on how the BR was authored. You must have been luck so far.

Similarly with DVD's and the DVD specs demand that ~1Gb VOB's are formed.

What you can do with DVD's is use the DVD to Mobile VOB Passthrough mode which creates a contiguous VOB but realistically this is dark age shit.

Why not use a modern container such as MKV?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have to diagree. I have made well over 50 Blu ray rips and every one has been a single M2TS file. That's way beyond lucky.

I've tried the MKV method but it takes about 2 hours compared to 30 mins. (I've got a slow PC) for a Blu ray disc that has about 10X the data. Makes no sense. (Actually, it does make sense why it takes way longer because of the compression process it's going through compared to pretty much taking raw data off the Blu ray disc.)

If that's the only way, then I'll have to rip at bedtime.

Thanks
      Last edited by Gregavi; 08-09-2010, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I've had a number of BDs that were seamless branching, i.e. a bunch of m2ts files in no particular order, just jumbled basically. It doesn't affect me though, because I play the whole folder structure not just single m2ts files. I'm not sure if your Sage will playback the folder structure though. But it might play back ISOs. Try ripping a BD into an ISO and transfer to your Sage and see if it can play it. If that doesn't work, I would suggest MKV for your DVDs and your BDs. Its a great container, much better than a VOB, AVI, etc. and the compression to quality ratio is astounding.
        SPECS
        DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
        SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Thanks for all replies.
          Racem22:
          What do you use to playback the "Folder"?

What size do the ISO files from BD end up being? BD to MKV file size?

As I stated, I end up with files sizes between 15-40 GB (usually around 25GB. The largest so far has been Benjamin Button at 38 GB.)

I don't know why, but every one has been 1 file.

Have you compared PQ between M2TS and MKV? I have a 1080P front projector with a 100" screen, so PQ is critical.

Another big factor is the rip time. 30 mins compared to over 2 hours is significant.

This from the SageTV website:
          File formats supported: AVI, ASF, MKV, MOV, MP4, Quicktime, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 PS, MPEG-2 TS, M2TS, BDMV Folder (BluRay), DVD ISO, DVD VIDEO_TS, VOB, M4A, MP3, FLAC, OGG, FLV, WAV, WMA

So, it looks like it will play BDMV and DVD VIDEO_TS "Folder Structure" and ISO files.

Thanks again.
          Last edited by Gregavi; 08-09-2010, 03:36 AM. Reason: add on

Comment

I can't comment on BR but on DVD, a <2Gb MKV gives no discernable difference from the original on a 52" Samsung HD TV, and I am able to have the chapters (also in plain english), tags, cover art, multiple audio tracks (Language or DTS/AC3) & multiple subtitles as SUB/IDX all contained within the one file.

I don't use Fab for all of this but use Fab to extract all the streams that I want and mux them back into the MKV container with other utilities.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

To playback folders on my PC I use 2 different players. MPC-Home Cinema and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, which are both good players but MPC is free and ArcSoft is not.
              As for the picture quality with an MKV, if you don't compress it at all and don't mind the size(which will be about the same as the original blu ray minus special features, menus, extra audio & subtitle tracks) then the PQ will be the exact same as the original.
              And it looks like your Sage will play folder structures of BDs but I don't see a BD ISO supported in that. I see DVD ISO support but you wouldn't want to rip your DVDs to ISO anyways.
              SPECS
              DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
              SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Working...
              X