This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dvd9 to dvd5

can't transfer dvd9 to dvd5, even after customizing to below 4.7 and copying at dvd5 quality. Dvdfab says that the blank must be a dual layer. Help!

Originally posted by senlac View Post
    can't transfer dvd9 to dvd5, even after customizing to below 4.7 and copying at dvd5 quality.
    This is still too large.

I suspect you're using 2 different methods to measure capacity, ie., binary vs. decimal.
    Your computer, windows, etc., uses binary or log base 2, whereas media manufacturers use decimal or log base 10.

This means your blank SL (dvd5) disc only has about 4.38 GB of space and not 4.7 GB of space (as advertised)
    when converted from decimal to binary.
    While not untrue, it's certainly misleading and intentionally misrepresented.
    Nice, huh?

You need to reduce the target size of your SL media to or less than 4472 MB.
    To be completely safe and to cover inferior/marginal media, set it to 4300 MB

If this doesn't do it, please post your logs.

The default location is:
    C:\Users (For XP Documents and Settings)\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Last edited by maineman; 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Also, if you're using DVDFab HD Decrypter(the free version) then I think it would say that as well. Maybe your license wasn't registered correctly.
      SPECS
      DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
      SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Sorry I can't help with the problem, but I've had an instance when DVDFab would not shrink a Dual Layer disc down to Single Layer - and it had nothing to do with miscalculating disc sizes. DVDFab just would not shrink it down. It made no difference which mode was selected: clone, main movie, custom, not the output: to DVD, to ISO, or to folder, nor which burning engine that was chosen. Note: The main movie was 5936MB in size, so it had to be shrunk to 72% to fit onto a DVD-5 disc.

The happened with a DVD of the French film: "À l'Aventure". A UK release from: "Axiom Films" with disc ID: 263D5BF6787A8C32 [A _LAVENTURE] under EAN/UPC: 5060126870371.

However DVDFab would only ever produce a full DVD-9. The logs showed only that a Dual Layer disc was needed with each attempt - despite DVD-5 being specifically selected every time within DVDFab. I tried reinstalling, wiping out registry settings, and earlier versions, but that disc just would not shrink.

Unfortunately, I never did discover the cause of this problem and resorted to copying to DVD-9 for the friend that wanted to borrow the disc. No other DVD discs have exhibited this problem.

Comment

Update to above posting:
          I've just spoken to the friend for whom I copied: "À l'Aventure" - from bad experience, I no longer loan out original discs.
          Apparently, even the Dual Layer clone copy disc proved faulty. Both the audio and subtitles play perfectly, but the video breaks up and stalls continually - as with a weak digital tv broadcast during a *very* heavy thunderstorm.
          Hence I can only assume there is some strange encryption on that original disc that DVDFab didn't correctly handle.

Comment

@senlac
            Please post your logs as maineman requested.

Originally posted by maineman View Post
            If this doesn't do it, please post your logs.
            The default location is:
            C:\Users (For XP Documents and Settings)\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            CBR929
            Last edited by maineman; 08-18-2010, 10:10 AM.
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

dvd9 t0 dvd5

MainemanS suggestion was the answer - I reset the disc space to 4400 and it copies OK. Thanks MM

Comment

Glad to hear we were able to help and you're up and running
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                X