This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new copy protection scheme ..

I may have run into another new copy protection scheme that no one has mentioned as yet. I just got the Ken Burns - The National Parks series and in trying to make a backup copy using the latest Beta version of DVDFab I ran into much the same problem that others are finding with Transformers 2. However, in the case of this series, it's not even possible to get the main movie - using the suggested method of disabling PathPlayer and then using only the appropriate title for the rip - due to the fact that while analyzing the disc, DVDFab comes up with an error and won't even proceed to the point of showing the multiple titles that would allow one to choose a single title to rip. If anyone else has tried to back up this particular set of discs, I'd like to know if you ran into the same problem. It could possibly be a flaw in the disc but I doubt it since these are brand new discs.

Anyone else tried to rip this series?

sleeper1428

If it is a series, it my understanding that you have to copy the full disc. If you don't, DVDFab will only copy the first episode. I might be wrong about that, if I am sure I will be corrected.

Comment

Or else try the clone mode to make a 1 to 1 copy
      Paid Not To Work
      US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )
      Proudly Served On
      USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
      6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin

Comment

try dvdfab 5.2.2.6

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't completely clear in my first posting. Regardless of the method of ripping selected - Full Disc, Main Movie, Clone, etc. - DVDFab never gets beyond the analyzing phase, stopping on each attempt with a read error. As far as being a series disc, this is one of six discs so I don't think it's a problem with how the series disc is arranged as suggested by someone. I am going to try an earlier version as soon as I can find one and get it installed but I just have a feeling that this is a new variation of the CP that's being used on discs such as Transformers 2 and The Proposal.

sleeper1428

Comment

Originally posted by sleeper1428 View Post
            I just got the Ken Burns - The National Parks series and in trying to make a backup copy using the latest Beta version of DVDFab I ran into much the same problem that others are finding with Transformers 2.
            Hmmm. Very strange. I had no problem with this series just using the very old freeware DVD Decryptor. I only use FAB for discs with new encryption and had no need to use it in this case. Are you running some other third party software like AnyDVD?

Comment

Originally posted by foobaz View Post
              Hmmm. Very strange. I had no problem with this series just using the very old freeware DVD Decryptor. I only use FAB for discs with new encryption and had no need to use it in this case. Are you running some other third party software like AnyDVD?
              DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 also returns read errors!

Comment

I would suggest either a dirty disk or a bad pressing.

Before anything else, upgrade to the latest version. Links to the downloads are posted in this forum.

Please try cleaning the disk and do the usual:-

If pathplayer is on, turn it off
                If pathplayer is off, turn it on

I don't think it is any special copy protection scheme as it is a low volume title (compared to major movies)
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

DVDs are injection molded out of clear polycarbonate and after a long career in plastics I can tell you that a surface area that large and highly polished will stick in the mold. The manufacturer will use a mold release agent to make them come out more easily. The film is invisible to the naked eye but perhaps not to a laser. I’ve taken out originals that I’ve stored for a long time, and they have had a milky film all over them because the release agent absorbs moisture over time. Making a short story long here but a little Windex and a microfiber cloth before attempting a backup solves a lot of ills.
                  How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                    DVDs are injection molded out of clear polycarbonate and after a long career in plastics I can tell you that a surface area that large and highly polished will stick in the mold. The manufacturer will use a mold release agent to make them come out more easily. The film is invisible to the naked eye but perhaps not to a laser. I’ve taken out originals that I’ve stored for a long time, and they have had a milky film all over them because the release agent absorbs moisture over time. Making a short story long here but a little Windex and a microfiber cloth before attempting a backup solves a lot of ills.
                    I'm glad you pointed that out, great info!! I have seen some brand new disc that actually look "wet" like it's actually in between plastic itself.

Comment

That's possible, the overspray gets on the back half of the mold, the etched - data half, then gets trapped between the aluminum foil and the plastic. Also transfer from the case to the disk can be an issue. Some of those cases are down right oily with the stuff.

Albert Einstein

Comment

90312 is right about the windex and cloth. Acts like a fine particalled rubbing compound to remove surface matter. Thats how I clean my dvd's new and old. Also stay away from scented cleaners. I had an issue where my dvd would not read. Smelt great but usless until I cleaned again with an unscented cleaner.

Comment

Just a note but don't bother buying cleaning kits in department stores it's just household rubbing alcohol. Get something to spritz on a little bit and use a soft lint free cloth and clean from the center out and never in circles. Alcohol also drys quickly.

Comment

Now here is a novel approach to cleaning a DVD and removing small scratches and smudges. I've never tried this!

Remove scratches from a CD or DVD using just a banana and some window cleaner.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hahaha...a banana, eh?
                              The waxy substance makes some sense.
                              Wonder if you get the burnt banana smell as the laser hits the disc...

Brasso works wonders on the occasional unreadable/scratched dvd.
                              Same idea, works like a fine jeweler's rouge.
                              I've also read where Pledge Furniture polish gives good results, but never tried it.

Can't say enough good stuff about 90312's advice on cleaning with windex and a microfiber cloth...even if the surface looks perfect.
                              You can use isopropyl alcohol too.
                              As mentioned, stay away from anything that's scented or a plastic solvent...
                              Last edited by maineman; 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM.
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X