A couple of general pointers please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of general pointers please...

Hey since i bought my DVD 'collection' i found that a couple of them were starting to get crappy and scratched so i thought i would copy them to a blank DVD for safe keeping. I have a movie which is the special edition and it stretches to 7.94gb or thereabouts. i was thinking of using the DVD's below:

I was just wondering whether these would work or not, and which file format does my movie need to be in. The movie i want to copy, file now on PC, is a MKV format! Also how do i burn it to the DVD. Thanks. Please don't link to another page lol.

Verbatim +R DL (MIS or made in Singapore) is the only DL media we recommend. I know nothing of Infiniti...
    the user comments are less than stellar and they're probably made by CMC, in which case forget 'em.

With the verbs you can burn out to about 8152 MB safely so you're cutting it close and subsequent to the conversion
    together with using the crap media...well it's a real crapshoot.

If you need to compress, you'll need the retail version of Fab or still be within the 30-day free trial period.

Fab can't convert MKV to MPEG-2.
    You'll need 3rd party software such as VSO ConvertXtoDVD
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
      Verbatim +R DL (MIS or made in Singapore) is the only DL media we recommend. I know nothing of Infiniti...
      the user comments are less than stellar and they're probably made by CMC, in which case forget 'em.

With the verbs you can burn out to about 8152 MB safely so you're cutting it close and subsequent to the conversion
      together with using the crap media...well it's a real crapshoot.

If you need to compress, you'll need the retail version of Fab or still be within the 30-day free trial period.

Fab can't convert MKV to MPEG-2.
      You'll need 3rd party software such as VSO ConvertXtoDVD
      Thanks for such a speedy reply. I know these are a little different but are these (below) what you were referring to?

Also what is the correct format for burning to a dual layer DVD? And what type of DVD writer do i need. A link would be useful. Thanks.

Edit: Would this DVD writer work?

Link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CD-046-OT
      Last edited by trundley; 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Well, the link you posted "may be" the MIS verbs I mentioned.
        They are most definitely MKM 003 and are made in Singapore (MIS) or in India (MII).
        Ideally, you should try for the MIS, but the MII are a decent 2nd choice.
        Take a look at the customer reviews on Amazon and other sites in the UK and look for MIS.

Not sure what you mean by format, but I'm guessing you're referring to file mode (standard dvd folders) and .ISO.
        Either is fine, it depends on your player's capability.
        I'd go with the standard file structure.

Yes, the sony-optiarc should do nicely as most are very reliable burners.

I have two sony-optiarc 7240s burners in my rig.
        Solid, reliable burners and one of the best DL burners out there.

I had to flash mine with modified firmware so that it would bitset both +R and +R DL media, but this is no big deal as long as reliable modded firmware is available.
        You might want to take a look at Liggy and Dee's site:

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Yeah by format i meant the extention like TS-9 etc. etc. I looked also a single layer DVD's by verbatim and found these:

I'm assuming these will work the same as the Dual Layer ones i linked in an earlier post except they can hold less content.

Comment

Yup, those verbs should be just fine as they have the AZO logo on the wrapper.
            Be certain you see this AZO or Super AZO logo on any verbs you're looking to purchase and you should be all set.

Fab DVD Copy is designed to handle standard, dvd-video, compliant, file structure only, ie., .vob, .ifo and .bup files in file format (standard folders) or .ISO.

Comment

All ordered including the writer and supposed to get here 3-5 days. Let you know how i get on.

Comment

Working...
              X