X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Disc

Question:

If you have both a DVD/Rom and DVD/RW disc and you put the movie you are backing up in your DVD/Rom drive and a blank D/L disc in your DVD/RW drive, should DVDFab not find the movie and show it copying from your source disc (DVD/Rom drive?), and then burn it on the blank D/L which is in your target disc?.

Or does it only work with single disc computers?

I have latest vs. of FAB. Windows XP.

Thanks

Yes you can use the Rom as the source and the DVD/RW as the target. I do that on my computer and have had no problems doing it that way for a few years now

Comment

Yes

Yes that is what I do.

I have a dvd-rom as my primary optical drive since they are really cheap and I wear them out with bodgy discs I get from magazines.

And I have a DVD-RW as secondary drive that I only use for burning.

I have dvdfab set to backup to hdd first before buning and have the burn speed set to 8x for dvd5's.

Comment

Burning with DVDFab 6 using 2 drives

Is it possible, and if so HOW, to put the source dvd in your ROM drive and a blank D/L disc in your writer and have DVDFab copy from the disc in the ROM drive to a temp file and then burn the temp file onto the blank d/l that is in the writer?

I can't figture out how to do this.

It appears that this software is designed for a single drive computer.

Advise, please as I have bought the lifetime key and plan on continuing to use Fab.

Comment

Yes it will. You should see 2 options at the top of the screen, Source and Target. The Source will usually show "Reading source file or similar. The one underneath will indicate the Target, click on this and select the drive you want from the list presented which should now have a blank disc in it. Somewhere you will see "searching for for writable media"
          Select Start, after analysing of source is completed and away you go, it should happen automatically.
          .If you choose to save the temp file it is possible to us that file to burn multiple copies at the same time using both DVD ROMs(if they are both writers). DVD 6 allows you to run multiple instances at the same time.

Comment

First off, please do not cross-post (double-post).
            This only serves to fragment advice and leads to confusion for all parties...not to mention...it also annoys some of us who take the time to answer queries, only to be ignored.

You have your answer here and in your other thread on the same topic.
            If these are somehow insufficient, please respond and ask for further details in this thread.

I am merging your threads
            Last edited by maineman; 11-01-2009, 03:04 AM.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I am sorry about the double post.

I never got e-mail notification on the replies.

I knew I had posted earlier but I could not find the original posting so i reposted.

I thought I had always used DVDFab with both drives but for some reason the DVD/Rom drive does not show up on DVDFab as the source so it tries to read from the writer which of course it can't because there is a blank in it.

Would someone know maybe WHY it is not finding the movie in my DVD/Rom drive.
              The ROM drive does show up in My Computer and I can insert a disc in it and it does play BUT a movie will not show up in the ROM drive on FAB.

Thanks, I have instant e-mail set for sure. I must not have set it on the original post.

Again accept my apologies.

Tom

Comment

No problem Tom and thanks for your understabding.

I'm not quite sure what's happening.
                Does Fab not see the source disc in the dvd-rom drive even when forced?
                By that I mean if you click on the folder icon to the right of Source, from the dropdown, simply navigate to your dvd-rom drive (or anywhere else on your rig).

If you're able to do this, Fab should "remember" this as source.
                If it doesn't stick, try ticking on Memorize user interface options in Common Settings.

If still no dice, we'll go from there.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

No, it does not find it at all.

Now I was beginning to think that it is my drive or computer rather than the software but it works the same way on both XP's that have dual drives.

It recognizes and copies from the Writer to temp file every time. It even hits on the writer even if it has a blank disc in it.

I would try it on my Vista but it only has one drive.

Comment

Darn peculiar...especially in that this occurs on 2 different pcs and only with Fab.
                    This rules out most hardware, registry and driver issues, but not wholly.
                    If I've learned anything about this stuff...sometimes it's just, plain voodoo...

Does this happen to be the same (make & model) dvd-rom drive in both pcs?

I'm just trying to find some commonality and go from there.

Can you provide us with a screenshot?...
                    something like I've attached below?
                    Can you provide any additional info about these ODDs...how they're configurred, etc.?
                    For eg., are they IDE or SATA interface, internal or external drives, and are they configured as IDE in your bios?

Thanks
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by maineman; 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Quick thought/suggestion.

Will the DVD's play in your DVD-ROM drives with a software player? If you don't have one, please download and try the very good VLC player.

If the DVD will play in the ROM drive, play a DVD first with the player, stop it and then open Fab and see if it will then recognise the DVD.

Let us know how you get on.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                      X