X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble copying from a DVDfab copy

Hello,

I have a lot of copies of DVDs created with DVDfab and recently I purchased a dvd player that will play Divx avi's etc from portable harddrive and this is really great. I use DVDfab to rip the Title I want to my hard drive and then I use the DVD to mobile option to recode it to an Xvid Avi file.

The problem is that I have a lot of copies of DVDs that I don't have the original DVD anymore but I have the DVDfab copy I created from the original onto A DVD5 disc. DVDFab does not like most of the copies that I have made.

DVDfab 6.0.7.0 ( I am downloading new version to try now)

I am using the following system components:

Dell Laptop (latitude D610) and an external HP dvd1040 DVD recorder

I have had no issues running dvdfab to copy Original DVD's to DVD or to files.

However when I have a copy of a DVD that I have made with DVDFab onto a dvd5 (i have not tried it on DVD9). I cannot copy most of those DVDs. Most of the time it hangs up during the analyzing DVD operation and never stops analyzing. Other times it stops analyzing after about 5 minutes and displays the error message:

Reading / Writing Error Control (Error while reading! Please ;choose what to do?), Retry, Abort, Ignore, or Ignore All

This is the details for one such DVD. Stand by Me. This was the only log entry for this video. (remember that I am not trying to copy the original but a copy created by DVDfab)
    All of the videos I have tried to copy this way have the same problem. And all of these DVDs play fine in the DVD player. Also there is no entry made for the vso.log.

Internal Log:

514m 16.09s: detected dvd
    514m 16.17s: drive D
    514m 16.18s: video dvd 1
    514m 16.18s volume lavel DVD_VIDEO
    514m 27.64s got copyright 0 0
    514m 28.20s go udf/iso
    516m 00.37s: got discinfo

And sometimes it will make it all the way until about 90% done copying the file to the hard drive and then hang.

Any Ideas? I know now that I will create my avi from the original when I have the chance.

Please read my 'Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread in the Forum Knowledgebase.

Instead of ripping the DVD to the hard disk with Fab, just copy it as it now should be unprotected.
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 11-01-2009, 01:13 AM.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

It also sounds a little like the DVD copies that you made have been corrupted.

This can be caused by cheap blanks and poor dye.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yes, I think you are right. I just tried copying the folder directly from the disk and that bombs out also.

I never had any trouble burning to these disks or playing them. But there is definately something wrong if I cant copy an uprotected folder! Thanks

I was using Memorex DVD+R 4.7GB blanks. Not anymore.

Comment

copy of copy

Just to let you know I had that problem for a while until I took DVD Fab out and reloaded it. No such problem now! Easy and you don't have to listen to me be upset anymore. do it!

Comment

Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
            The problem is that I have a lot of copies of DVDs that I don't have the original DVD anymore but I have the DVDfab copy I created from the original onto A DVD5 disc.
            If you no longer own/have the original DVD you are not supposed to still have the back up copy. So what you are trying to do I believe is against forum rules

Comment

Dont have the original because it is scratched and worn out. That is what the backup is for in case you can no longer use your original you still have the back up. Or is the back up not a back up? A lot of my older DVD's don't work at the moment and I have just ordered a ZDAG101 DVD repair machine that I have heard works great at bringing these DVDs back to life. Hopefully the machine works as advertised then I will have the originals to copy from.

Comment

Strange as I thought the back up was so you can hide the original so it not get scratched and instead the back up gets scratched. That way you always have the original to make another back up with.

Anyway since it is a back up copy you are trying have you even tried to just use ImgBurn to burn to disc as the copy protection has been removed so you not really need to use DVDFab to burn it to another blank

Comment

I think GregiBoy hit the nail on the head with the bad disks. They will play in DVDplayer (which is odd) but I can't even copy the VIDEO_TS folder via copy and paste.

And yes, that is how I do it since I purchased DVDFab (hide the original) but my older DVDs were already used a lot by the time I got Fab.

thanks for your help

Comment

Playing a DVD in a stand-alone player and making a backup is apples and oranges. Two different processes entirely, just because it will play in the player does not mean it will backup. Keep your backup discs in a dark place, an opaque case or wallet. Light writes the disk, so light will erase it over time. I’ve brought a few scratched discs back to life with Brasso and a micro-fiber cloth always wiping from the center hub to the outside, never in a circle around the disk. Use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disks, the organic dye used is much better that what you are currently using and won’t degrade as quickly.
                    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X