This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no preview under vmware

win desktop went belly-up. brought up xp/dvdfab under vmware (linux host.) all seems to work, except the chapter preview. any ideas or suggestions?

Nope as linux/vmware is not supported.

I'll leave your post open in the hope that someone may be able to assist you.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Don't loose heart, GregiBoy sees the word "linux" and immediately stamps "not supported" on it. The fact is that, while in vmware, DVDFab is running on a full copy of XP which should be supported. Your problem is similar to not being able to see the preview while using a Windows Media Center extender.

I believe that DVDFab is attempting to use 3D acceleration in the preview. You will want to make sure that your vmware guest and host OS are setup to support this correctly. I remember other people having problems with preview (on Windows) but I cannot remember the specifics of what they needed to load/change in Windows to fix it.

Comment

Good morning Complication.

I said that there is no "OFFICIAL" support for linux because of what is stated on dvdfab.com.

I purposely said that so the user does not have any false expectations of level of support that they should be afforded.

From dvdfab.com:-

System Requirements
        • Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
        • Pentium II 500 MHz
        • 256 MB of RAM
        • 10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
        • A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive
        I see no mention of linux or Fab running under VMWare whatsoever.

If a user wishes to run Fab in those sorts of environments, the onus is upon them to get things working, and this can usually be achieved by assistance from users experienced in those environments.

Hence the reason behind leaving this post here for comments by users such as yourself.

"I'll leave your post open in the hope that someone may be able to assist you"
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          System Requirements
          • Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
          • Pentium II 500 MHz
          • 256 MB of RAM
          • 10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
          • A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive

I see no mention of linux or Fab running under VMWare whatsoever.
          Windows running in vmware satisfies all those requirements. I see no mention of "must be running on bare hardware" or something similar. If Microsoft failed to support Windows running in a VM then a lot of corporate customers would be very upset. There is also no mention of required video support even though I know there is a minimum requirement.

Comment

I don't know of too many corporate customers that allow DVD ripping to occur in the workplace...

Comment

no preview on title

updated dfab 6125 . preview does not work now. only sound and coloered lines . can anyone help.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                Don't loose heart, GregiBoy sees the word "linux" and immediately stamps "not supported" on it. The fact is that, while in vmware, DVDFab is running on a full copy of XP which should be supported. Your problem is similar to not being able to see the preview while using a Windows Media Center extender.

I believe that DVDFab is attempting to use 3D acceleration in the preview. You will want to make sure that your vmware guest and host OS are setup to support this correctly. I remember other people having problems with preview (on Windows) but I cannot remember the specifics of what they needed to load/change in Windows to fix it.
                There is a setting for the guest under Display for "Accelerate 3D Graphics (DirectX 9.0c)". The default is off and I have never used it before. I did change it, but don't see any difference. Not getting any audio either, although the guest can generate audio from other apps. Still investigating...

Comment

Originally posted by gobo View Post
                  There is a setting for the guest under Display for "Accelerate 3D Graphics (DirectX 9.0c)". The default is off and I have never used it before. I did change it, but don't see any difference. Not getting any audio either, although the guest can generate audio from other apps. Still investigating...
                  Made some headway. Changed DvdFab preview from external to internal and now have preview video. Still no audio...

Comment

Originally posted by gobo View Post
                    Preview window in directshow mode using the dvdfab decoder, does not work, so I disabled 3D acceleration. The preview chapter slider now slides thru the chapters without showing in the preview window, all other decoders in my list work fine with the preview window.

Comment

Working...
                    X