DVD resolution as compared to DVDFab resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD resolution as compared to DVDFab resolution

My question is regarding resolution settings using DVD Ripper. I spent a couple of hours searching the forum and reading various threads on the topic but I'm still confused.

I am using 8.0.5.6 to rip Alien 4 (for example) using generic.mp4.h264.aac.

If I inspect the VOB files, I see a resolution of 720x480. I realize that this is not the resolution of the movie, which has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, but it would seem to be the upper limit on the number of pixels available.

However, DVDFab shows the following before I have changed any settings:
    ALIEN4: Title(1), Play Time(01:48:37)
    Original Frame Resolution (852 x 480)
    Original Aspect Ratio (1.77:1)
    Cropped Aspect Ratio (2.34:1)
    Source Zoom: 57%
    Output Zoom: 50%
    Output Size: 720 x 308

So my confusion results from the number reported by DVDFab: 852x480. I did see a reference in a previous thread about this number:
    [QUOTE=GregiBoy;61639]If you use MediaInfo to inspect the original DVD rip, you will find that the dimensions are 720 x XXX or 704 x XXX depending on aspect ratio and PAL/NTSC.
    I have had this discussion with Fengtao and he is TECHNICALLY correct on the displayed resolution numbers becausing of anamorphic encoding, etc, but it is confusing for newbies.

So yeah, it is confusing. And the questions that result are:
    1. Is there a more detailed explanation surrounding this number (852x480)? Perhaps if I understood it better, I would understand its implications.
    2. If I crop it and preserve the aspect ratio, should I be using a output size of 852 x 364 or 720 x 308? That is, which resolution better matches the source material? I don't want DVDFab to scale the source if it doesn't have to.
    3. If DVDFab reports 852 pixels, why doesn't 852 x 364 show up in the list of resolutions (left and right cropping = 0) . I see 848 x 362 but not 852.

Thanks!

This difference in numbers is usually explained by ANAMORPHIC encoding of the source,

Here is one resource to let you try to get your head around it !!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for the link. I read it and it does help to clarify some things.

I am still not sure about this:
      Let's say DVDFab reports a resolution of 852x480 and I don't need to crop the picture, should I use a target resolution of 852x480 or stick with 720x406? I have read on this forum that there is no reason to go above the 720 mark but I assume that referred the 720 limit of the source material.

And finally, have you noticed that if DVDFab reports 852x480, this does not show up in the list of target resolutions? I see 848 but not 852. Not a big deal as I can edit the profile and add it but odd nonetheless.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Stick with the 720 x XXX....
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hey Hudson,

I see you were chiming in on a post of mine. So I've spent HOURS comparing different rip resolutions and I concur with GregiBoy, just stick to the default resolution that DVDFab wants (720x). You will NEVER see the difference.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
          X