Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Single VOB to PS3 **PLEASE HELP?**

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me, as i've been searching forum topics for ages on this!

I am pretty new to DVD Ripping, and i found DVDFab, which is brilliant, and works perfectly for almost everything i need it to do.

I've recently purchased a PS3, and now want to RIP all my DVDs, so i can stream them to my PS3 via TVersity.

I am currently just trialling DVDFab, and have a couple of days left, and i want to ensure it can do what i want before i purchase it.

Basically i want to RIP a full DVD including all chapters, into one VOB file, is this possible?

The FAQ page on the DVDFab website says no:

Q: Can I copy entire movie to hard drive as only one VOB file?
    A: The current DVDFab DVD Copy can only support to copy entire movie DVD to your hard disk drive as several VOB files, not one single VOB files. We will improve our technology to facilitate our customer' use as possible as we can

Now i can see loads of people asking this questions on this forum, and also across the web! but i cant seem to find the answer, and if you can do it, how to do it?

Although the FAQ says you cant, some people appear to say it can?

The version of DVDFab im am trialling is 8.0.6.1

Any help would be greatfully received!

Cheers

Darren

You will need the DVDFab DVD Ripper for what you want to use it for

Comment

Yes i am using DVD Ripper, i downloaded the full trial with all the DVDFab elements.

How do you create a single VOB with DVD Ripper?

Comment

Use the vob passthrough. to the left where all the different profiles are for generic avi there is as well one for VOB and that creates one VOB file and you as well have a PS3 profile that will create a file playable on the PS3

Comment

Hi AGJ,

Yea i have tried that, and it gave me 6 seperate VOB files.

The DVD has 6 Titles, under DVD Ripper on the left i select PS3.

I then select all the Titles, and it Analyses each title, and opens up the Mobile Task Queue window, which then shows Device: PS3, Information: DVD Info, Profile: Playstation 3.

I change the 6 title profiles to Playstation 3 VOB Passthrough.

I close the Mobile Task Window, and go back to the main window.

Each title then shows Playstation 3 VOB Passthrough as the profile at the bottom.

Do i need to do anything else? As this is what i tried before and it didnt work?

If i click 'Edit' next to the profile at the bottom, each title has Encoding Method: Pass through.

Slit shows : 4Gb Per File, the full DVD comes to 5.36Gb, should i change the split on each title?

If i get my DVDs onto 1 VOB per DVD i'll be buying it straight away!

Thanks for your help here, its really frustrating!

Darren

Comment

You need to choose the no split as that default setting and should give you a file that 4gb not really sure as I use the XBox 360

Comment

Yea it doesnt appear to work, looks like the FAQ is right!

I tried pass through on all 6 titles of the DVD, and set each one to No Split, and it still gave me 6 VOB files....

If anyone else can help me, i would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Darren

Comment

it gave you a VOB file for each title you selected as you stated the DVD you are trying has 6 Titles. I assume this is a TV Series DVD and DVDFab does not join movies together like that which is why you get 6 different files. You might be able to merge all 6 titles together using DVDFab DVD Copy you will need them on the hard drive first seperated and may need to use Main Movie to get them seperated and then use DVDFab DVD Ripper to convert that merged file to a PS3 file
                Last edited by AGJ; 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Ah ok, this is a Stand Up DVD, and it has some extras, like behind the scenes etc.

I'll be honest the full stand up piece is 1 title, let me go grab a DVD Film, and i'll see how that reads!

Cheers

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by dmn81 View Post
                    Ah ok, this is a Stand Up DVD, and it has some extras, like behind the scenes etc.

I'll be honest the full stand up piece is 1 title, let me go grab a DVD Film, and i'll see how that reads!

Cheers

Darren
                    OK, so that explains it then and the merge feature I mentioned in last post may not merge them together in order as well. So you may have to use the individual files unless someone else can let you know how to use DVDFab for that

Comment

Hi,

Yea one of my films has one long title, which is the full length movie.

Film actually has 22 titles, which includes extra's, deleted scenes, out takes etc.

Now i have a slightly different problem!

I've ripped the film (28 Days Later), and converted to 22 different VOB files, now on my PS3 if you set to sequencial play back, it will play each VOB file in its particular folder on the Media Server in order.

Now i names the files xxx.VOB (1), xxx.VOB (2) and so on.

But the PS3 puts them on number order, but like this:

xxx.VOB (1)
                      xxx.VOB (10)
                      xxx.VOB (11)

and so on....

So it takes the number first and then puts them in that order, which isnt actually the order of the titles on the DVD.

Anyone with any ideas how you can get the PS3 to show them in the correct order ie. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 etc....?

I cant think of how to name the files, so it seems them in the correct order?

Thanks

Darren

Comment

First off, I commend you for searching and reading prior to your post. It is rare to see someone quote the FAQ.

Now, the FAQ is referring to DVD Copy (not ripper) and other old programs that had the option to make a non-standard copy of the DVD on the hard drive. The DVD specification requires that VOB files on the DVD be limited to 1G in size so the main movie is usually split in 3-6 files. DVD Copy will always follow the DVD specification and split the files accordingly.

DVD Ripper, on the other hand, has a VOB Passthrough option that will create a single file for each DVD title track selected. By default it should only pick the largest one as the main movie. This will get all chapters of the movie but will not maintain the chapter stops (next or previous on the remote).

I use VOB Passthrough to create files for playback on the PS3 for almost all my DVDs (including movies and TV shows). Due to the abundance of poor DVD authoring, the time code information is rarely correct and the file may show like there is only a few minutes even though it is a 2 hour movie but it will play just fine. Rewind is usually useless. Fast forward works but may stall after you press play (tip: press stop then play again to get rid of the stall).

Comment

Originally posted by dmn81 View Post
                          Now i names the files xxx.VOB (1), xxx.VOB (2) and so on.

But the PS3 puts them on number order, but like this:

xxx.VOB (1)
                          xxx.VOB (10)
                          xxx.VOB (11)

and so on....

So it takes the number first and then puts them in that order, which isnt actually the order of the titles on the DVD.

Anyone with any ideas how you can get the PS3 to show them in the correct order ie. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 etc....?

I cant think of how to name the files, so it seems them in the correct order?
                          You can click edit on each title selected and add a zero (0) in front of the single digit titles (1 becomes 01). If you have already ripped then simply rename the file and add the zero.

Comment

Hi Complication,

Thanks for your reponse, and also for commending me on my searches before posting! You can generally find answers to most things if you just search around for a bit!

Im happy with the VOB files now, i just set the main movie to 'No Split', to ensure it doesnt split at 4Gb, as my media server is an NTFS file system, so the 4Gb file limit isnt a problem like FAT32.

Thanks for your advice on numbering the VOB files, so they play in order on the PS3, i didnt think of adding a 0 in front of the number, i'll give that a whirl when i get home, and let you know how i get on!

Cheers

Darren

Comment

Hi Complication,

I re-numbered the VOB files starting with a '0' all th way through to '020' and it works a treat!

Cheers for your guidance.

I dont know why everyone seems to have such a problem, i only started looking at ripping DVDs and streaming to my PS3 via media server on Saturday, and im all up and running already!

Cheers
                              Darren

Comment

Working...
                              X