File type and setting recommendations for home network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper File type and setting recommendations for home network

Please help! I have searched and searched for the best high quality file format to save my videos on my network. Does anyone have recommendations for the settings in DVD Ripper or DVD Copy. I don't care about file size but I want a high quality compatible format. I use TVersity and PlayOn through my DVR so I need an easy to recognize format.

Thank you for any help you can give.

PlayOn is the problem. I have the PlayOn also and it will not play WMV HD with WMA Pro. 5.1. I find WMA/WMV the best quality for multichannel but can not get it to work with the PlayOn HD. I have encoded h.264 HD and AC3 5.1 and I am having lip sync problems.

I honestly do not understand why people rip movies to a blu-ray or DVD. The media is very expensive getting a perfect copy every time not a sure thing. Using a server with a render device is the answer.

I have been using DVDFab for a long time, but they are a bit slow to the mark on Blu-ray and HD audio. Highest setting I can find is 160kps in a 5.1 implementation.

Comment

If you don't care about space then VOB Passthrough is your best option. It will retain the original quality of the DVD.

Comment

Where do you find that option?

Comment

Originally posted by RBeaubien View Post
          Where do you find that option?
          It is located in DVDFab DVD Ripper VOB profile

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going to try the VOB and see if PlayOn or TVersity can play it.

Comment

Originally posted by iamhowe View Post
              Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going to try the VOB and see if PlayOn or TVersity can play it.
              I use VOB pass through with Tversity just fine. It works fine for wide screen movies. With 4:3 movies I can never get the format right on my plasma TV with VOB passthrough. For those I RIP to 640x480 WMV files, which gives me full screen on my TV.

One issue I continue to have with VOB pass through is that the file lengths are often mising or incorrect when I look at the file attributes in Windows 7. It seems to only be an issue with VOB pass through. Some times it will be correct and on other files it will be way off (i.e. it will say 15 minutes for a 2 hour movie) or other times it will just be zero. I just bought a lifetime license for DVD Fab so I hope they fix this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jbinkley60 View Post
                One issue I continue to have with VOB pass through is that the file lengths are often mising or incorrect when I look at the file attributes in Windows 7. It seems to only be an issue with VOB pass through. Some times it will be correct and on other files it will be way off (i.e. it will say 15 minutes for a 2 hour movie) or other times it will just be zero. I just bought a lifetime license for DVD Fab so I hope they fix this soon.
                This is not a DVDFab issue (exactly). VOB Passthrough simply dumps the stream as-is to a file. The problem is created because most DVD authors do not update the time codes on the finished movie after they stitch it together on the DVD (opening sequence, movie, closing credits). I have used other programs to try to fix the time codes however it would often create audio sync or frame judder issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                  This is not a DVDFab issue (exactly). VOB Passthrough simply dumps the stream as-is to a file. The problem is created because most DVD authors do not update the time codes on the finished movie after they stitch it together on the DVD (opening sequence, movie, closing credits). I have used other programs to try to fix the time codes however it would often create audio sync or frame judder issues.
                  Interesting. That would explain why on anything that is not pass through it is correct (i.e. WMV etc..) because DVD fab knows the length and stamps the file length properly ?

Comment

VOB worked for one movie but another longer one required more than 4GB so DVD Ripper split it. This not ideal, any way around the split? Also the VOB played fine over networked libraries in Win7 but my DVR box dropped the sound completely. That may be just an issue with Dish Networks' VIP 922, I'll call them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by iamhowe View Post
                      VOB worked for one movie but another longer one required more than 4GB so DVD Ripper split it. This not ideal, any way around the split? Also the VOB played fine over networked libraries in Win7 but my DVR box dropped the sound completely. That may be just an issue with Dish Networks' VIP 922, I'll call them tomorrow.
                      Some DNLA clients won't handle VOBs bigger than 4GB. I am using a Netgear EVA-9150. I tried using the Direct TV receiver but it doesn't have FF/RW so I bought a Netgear box till they add the functionality. Then I'll move the Netgear box to another television. You might try ripping to WMP10 format with DVDFab. There should be no size limit with it. I've been experimenting with WMV format for WMP10 and it is working fine. RIPping is much slower than VOB but so far the results have been very good. WMP9 worked Ok but I had intermittient issues with audio sync with the video.

Comment

It also depends on how the target drive is formatted.

If it is FAT32, there is ~4Gb restriction on file size and Fab adheres to this and splits accordingly.
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

VOB attributes

Originally Posted by jbinkley60

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                          How about adding a DVDFab option that allows DVDFab to set the attributre properly ? If I do a custom RIP to VOB, it picks up the proper length of each title. An option to write that value out to the VOB file might be a neat feature to fix DVDs which are created with incorrect information.

Comment

Unknown Start Code

I have the same issue. I am in the US and I have a Western Digital Hard drive and a Seagate 2TB drive. When I play the content on my TV through a similar box called Seagate GoFlexTV I get the message "Unknown Start Code" on the screen on some movies but not all of them. The movies play fine but the message blinks on and off throughout the entire movie. It is annoying that is for sure!!

What I have found are a few posts that say the unknown start code is caused by an audio/video sync when the movies are burnt. I use DVDFab to rip my movies for my iPod. THey never have the message on my iPod and I can play the movies from my iPod on my TV and they look fine. It is only through the Seagate product that this seems to occur.

I am going out to get the Sony SMP-N100 Network Media Player with Wi-FiĀ® today and see if it does the same thing. I will keep you posted. There is not much out there on this topic surprisingly.

Comment

Working...
                            X