Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) BD to MKV best practices

Greetings all and Merry Christmas!

I'm new to DVDFab and have been researching the forum and FAQ for the better part of 2 days now learning about how to get the best quality conversions for my BD. I've used [other software] in the past however that was for DVD only and have been running into issues with [other software] and BD conversions. Plus change is always good.

I've searched high and low in an attempt to figure out what the best (generally speaking) settings are DVDFab for converting BD's. I'm thinking that I want to go the BD-to-MKV route as it appears to be the most recommended and one I am somewhat familiar with. I'll be using a Logitech Revue as the primary client for streaming from my DLNA Server (Twonky). I don't want to use DTS as the Revue currently does not support playback of DTS audio.

In my testing I've been using the "to MKV" option in BD Ripper with the "mkv.h264.ac3" profile. I'm selecting the main title video and for audio I'm typically choosing the DTS-HD/7.1 audio stream. In the conversion settings I select 2-pass and bump up the Bits/Pixel to the .200 range which provides about a 10,000kbps bitrate. For audio I'm leaving the bitrate at 448kbps and channel set to 5.1 multi. In the video effects config I leave the resize as-is and disable crop.

Do these settings sound about right in order to obtain a high-quality rip and conversion? I'm not too worried about file size however do want to save space if possible without sacrificing too much quality.

Is there any issue with my selecting the DTS stream as the source even though I do not want DTS in the converted output? It appears to be encoding it as AC3 5.1 properly in my testing.

Any advice that could be provided to point in the right direction would be much appreciated. I realize there is probably not a one size fits all method however a basic starting point would be great. I was hoping there would be a FAQ or sticky with this information however was not able to locate it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Complication; 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM. Reason: Software references updated to comply with forum genaral policies

Originally posted by Budwizer View Post
    In the conversion settings I select 2-pass and bump up the Bits/Pixel to the .200 range which provides about a 10,000kbps bitrate. For audio I'm leaving the bitrate at 448kbps and channel set to 5.1 multi. In the video effects config I leave the resize as-is and disable crop.

Do these settings sound about right in order to obtain a high-quality rip and conversion? I'm not too worried about file size however do want to save space if possible without sacrificing too much quality.
    Budwizer, you nailed it!!! Except one - "I select 2-pass". I would't recommend 2-pass. Codec in DVDFab set for a 1-pass (I'm trying to be simple in my explanation), and 2-pass conversion absolutely unnecessary; or I would say 2-pass causes more problems with nil gain in quality.
    In everything else you are good to go
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Is there any issue with my selecting the DTS stream as the source even though I do not want DTS in the converted output? It appears to be encoding it as AC3 5.1 properly in my testing.
      Actually, selecting the DTS or HD Audio track is often required. The AC3 track you see is usually a hearing impaired or director's commentary track. All Blu-ray players must be able to handle the DTS or HD Audio so BD authors rarely create a separate AC3 track with the same audio.

IPopov50 is right. Two-pass encoding is not really useful with such a high bitrate. It was very useful in the days when people would squeeze an entire movie on a 700mb CD but is much less relevant now.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the responses. So far I am having great luck with ripping my BD's. I did notice that when viewing the details for the MKV using MediaInfo it shows ReFrames = 2 frames. Is that referring to reference frames and if so would be useful to bump that value up? I'm coming from [other software] where I would typically use a higher reference frame value. Are there any other tweaks that would be beneficial to be made?

Also, as far as configuration of the A/V Codec settings is there any preferred value to use? My video card is not CUDA supported, I'm currently using a AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series card, so I am left with using either a value of Software or DXVA. I've tried both and haven't seen a noticable difference. Should I use any particular setting for both the decoder and encoder? My CPU is an Intel i7 920 running at 2.67Ghz so I should have plenty of processor for the conversions.

Thanks again!
        Last edited by Complication; 12-26-2010, 03:53 AM. Reason: General policies

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the responses. So far I am having great luck with ripping my BD's. I did notice that when viewing the details for the MKV using MediaInfo it shows ReFrames = 2 frames. Is that referring to reference frames and if so would be useful to bump that value up? I'm coming from [other software] where I would typically use a higher reference frame value. Are there any other tweaks that would be beneficial to be made?
          Budwizer,
          First of all, unlike in [other software] (sorry, but for number of reasons I strongly dislike this program), you can't tweak conversion settings in DVDFab GUI. If you will try to change settings in profile, you better know what you are doing. In DVDFab not all conversion parameters you can easely change and some of them are hardcoded to the core. Besides, newer streamlined codecs are quite different from what you find in [other software].
          In simple terms, increasing number of ReFrames will trigger a chain reaction of needed changes, including in unreacheble values. Besides, it will significantly slow down the conversion.

Also, as far as configuration of the A/V Codec settings is there any preferred value to use? My video card is not CUDA supported, I'm currently using a AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series card, so I am left with using either a value of Software or DXVA. I've tried both and haven't seen a noticable difference. Should I use any particular setting for both the decoder and encoder? My CPU is an Intel i7 920 running at 2.67Ghz so I should have plenty of processor for the conversions.
          You have very powerful CPU/ I would just set everything for "software" and stay away from "handicapped" GPU acceleration provided by ATI.
          Last edited by Complication; 12-26-2010, 03:54 AM. Reason: General Policies
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Please stop mentioning the software package you came from. This is a DVDFab forum and mentions of software that does similar things as DVDFab is against the general policies of the forum. You should be able to get the information you need without the references to other software.

On topic, MediaInfo is cool when you are trying to diagnose a problem but I would let your eyes be the judge rather than focussing on the numbers.

Comment

My apologies for referencing the prior product that I was using. Really is a shame that you had to make your post as I was not intending to do any unfounded harm to anyone, just wanting to put some perspective into what I had been previously using as I find that typically useful when seeking assistance or helping someone else. Please delete my account.
              Last edited by Budwizer; 12-27-2010, 02:39 AM.

Comment

My CPU is also an Intel i7 920 running at 2.67Ghz with the 6 Gb RAM.

It took 25 minutes to copy the main movie to the hard disk and 15 minutes to convert a BD main movie to mkv.

I find that I am having problems replaying the file in any media player like: windows media player, Nero Media Show, Divx media player.

Codecs, codecs, codecs....I know is the key point. Any ideas what the best codec pack is and where to get it.

Also the altimate question is still not answered...WHAT SETTINGS WILL GET THE BEST RESULTS IN THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SPACE?

Info for File [R:\F\Fockers\Meet the Fockers (2004)\mkv\MEET_THE_FOCKERS\Meet The Fockers.mkv] (DVDFab 8.0.6.1)

General
                Complete name : R:\F\Fockers\Meet the Fockers (2004)\mkv\MEET_THE_FOCKERS\Meet The Fockers.mkv
                Format : Matroska
                File size : 28.7 GiB
                Duration : 1h 55mn
                Overall bit rate : 35.6 Mbps
                Encoded date : UTC 2010-12-27 17:50:05
                Writing application : DVDFab
                Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
                ID : 1
                Format : VC-1
                Format profile : AP@L3
                Codec ID : WVC1
                Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
                Width : 1 920 pixels
                Height : 1 080 pixels
                Display aspect ratio : 16:9
                Frame rate : 23.976 fps
                Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
                Bit depth : 8 bits
                Scan type : Progressive

Audio
                ID : 2
                Format : DTS
                Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
                Format profile : MA
                Codec ID : A_DTS
                Bit rate mode : Variable
                Channel(s) : 6 channels
                Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
                Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
                Bit depth : 24 bits
                Language : English

Menu
                00:00:00.000 : en01)00:00:00:000
                00:06:14.374 : en02)00:06:14:374
                00:14:37.459 : en03)00:14:37:459
                00:20:13.003 : en04)00:20:13:003
                00:26:22.789 : en05)00:26:22:789
                00:31:20.587 : en06)00:31:20:587
                00:35:50.314 : en07)00:35:50:314
                00:38:21.590 : en08)00:38:21:590
                00:46:46.220 : en09)00:46:46:220
                00:51:25.665 : en10)00:51:25:665
                00:57:54.053 : en11)00:57:54:053
                01:03:58.501 : en12)01:03:58:501
                01:11:30.286 : en13)01:11:30:286
                01:16:01.306 : en14)01:16:01:306
                01:20:24.236 : en15)01:20:24:236
                01:24:46.790 : en16)01:24:46:790
                01:30:23.709 : en17)01:30:23:709
                01:35:53.622 : en18)01:35:53:622
                01:44:45.279 : en19)01:44:45:279
                01:50:17.527 : en20)01:50:17:527
                01:55:15.283 : en21)01:55:15:283

Comment

Originally posted by macblob View Post
                  I find that I am having problems replaying the file in any media player like: windows media player, Nero Media Show, Divx media player.

Codecs, codecs, codecs....I know is the key point. Any ideas what the best codec pack is and where to get it.
                  Give these media players a try VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ or MPC http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html ,you other question needs to be answered by another member "sorry" maybe IPopov50
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X