Help with good profile for Apple TV version 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Help with good profile for Apple TV version 2

I have been trying to get a good profile for my new Apple TV 2. I have been using a generic h.264 profile, for the last several years. This profile has worked well for my Archos device and my new HTC android phone, but for some reason, some of the movies I have encoded in the past are flickering on the Apple TV. They also flicker when playing back on Quicktime. I have no idea why this is, I cannot find a difference between the movie that plays fine and the one that is flickering like the frame rate is not right.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best profile to use for Apple TV version 2?

More info about this issue. I have a large library that I have converted over the years. I have generally used h264 at 23.97 fps and bit rates between 1500-2200. Only a few of these movies have not played right on the apple TV, and when they play improperly, it looks like it is dropping frames or watching a bad stop animation movie.

I compared a movie that played properly with one that didn't using MediaInfo, but couldn't see the difference. They all play perfectly with VLC. But the ones that give me a problem on Apple TV ALSO gives the same problem on Quicktime and iTunes.

Very odd...

Comment

I have the exact same problem.

VLC plays back flawlessly, but iTunes, Quicktime, and Apple TV 2 (the new one) are very choppy and flickering.

I can run them thru Handbrake to drop the bitrate and they look better, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Are you referring to the little black one...a little bigger than a deck of cards? I have one. I converted all 600+ DVDs and ripped to "Apple TV" via DVDfab.

No issues. occasional dropouts, but I suspect that is more of a network thing from the iMAC...if I rewind, and retry, no issues.

The kids have been watching them with no issues. They even use iTunes on the win7 pcs in the bedroom and stream as well.

Comment

I found that v8.x has problems with mp4 for some players. I also found out there are several codecs. It appears that some of the newer h264 codecs are not properly supported by some players. Most V8.x profiles use a newer codec. I played around with profiles and found one that worked on all my players. It plays fine on QuickTime. I don't have an Apple TV. I posted it on the profiles post as NookColor.

Comment

Working...
          X