Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Agonisingly slow

Hi,

I am an avid fan of DVDFab and have been using DVD Ripper for nearly two years to put my DVD collection onto my iPod.

For Christmas, my wife gave me a BD player for the computer and now I can also put my BDs into my collection, unfortunately, it is so slow, I am considering abandoning the idea. 2012 took me 8.5 hours and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince took just on 11 hours.

Have I missed something in the settings or are BDs just more difficult to rip?

I have windows XP SP3, an AMD Athlon 64 3500 and 4Gb RAM. I also have AVG 2011 (full suite) installed.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Wal

That time is about correct but it would speed up the process if you used Blu-ray Copy to get either Full Disc or Main Movie to hard drive and then use that folder to convert to iPod format.

Comment

It is taking so much time due to your outdated CPU.
      人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
      Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

Is the video card more important than the CPU for blu-ray? I have an i7 860 running at 4GHZ and it is no faster than my laptop which isn't even close to that. All my computers take as long as what he posted. CPU power doesn't seem to help at all with any of my different computers running DVDFab. My best video card is a 9800GT with 1GB of memory and that is the fastest computer, but only barely. I don't play any video games so video cards have never been a problem for me unless it is the root of painfully slow blu-ray copying on DVDfab.

If it helps, I use another program to do my actual full disk ripping from original to hdd, then use DVDFab to burn movie only to 25GB BD-R.

How important is the video card vs the CPU with the Blu-ray aspect of DVDFab?

Comment

Originally posted by Blazkowicz View Post
          It is taking so much time due to your outdated CPU.
          My CPU may well be outdated, but then again, every CPU is outdated the day after it hits the market. I'm retired and I can't afford a new computer every few months, instead I rely on software compatibility and, as I bought and paid for DVDFab, I expect it to work with whatever CPU I am using.

Thank you for your totally useless and inane comment.

Wal

Comment

Originally posted by wally3178 View Post
            My CPU may well be outdated, but then again, every CPU is outdated the day after it hits the market. I'm retired and I can't afford a new computer every few months, instead I rely on software compatibility and, as I bought and paid for DVDFab, I expect it to work with whatever CPU I am using.

Wal
            Unfortunately, your comment re: a cpu outdating 1 day after it hits the market has offers no support to your argument about software support.
            Your cpu hit the market more than 6 years ago...more than a lifetime relative to the world of computing.

Yes, BD processing is much more labor intensive for your system, particularly your cpu.

I'm not trying to sell you something (I'm just another user and have no business ties to Fab), but AGJ is absolutely correct.
            If you've not used the trial version of Blu-ray Copy, please try this...

Without any compression, rip a BD disc to your hdd with Blu-ray Copy;
            either Full or Main Movie, but again, do not compress.
            Now use the BD ripped files as Source for your conversion and yes, this will necessitate another step.
            (All of us old hands do this, btw...it's much quicker with the later model systems like the core i7 builds and it saves a whole bunch of wear and tear on your BD drive)

What kind of time are you seeing now?
            I suspect it's going to be slow anyway, but hopefully, this is an improvement.
            Last edited by maineman; 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I have a Intel core duo e6300 1.86g/2mb CPU which is pretty much outdated for Blu-ray Ripping and copy which gives me the same times as you roughly and do not have money to buy better at the moment as well. You want better time then pony up the cash and get a quad core CPU

Comment

I'll make one comment here!!!

It is working, you are just unhappy with the length of time it is taking !!!

There is no need for the inane, sarcatic comments that you are hitting my colleagues that are only trying to help you with....

Originally posted by wally3178 View Post

Wal
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                  Unfortunately, your comment re: a cpu outdating 1 day after it hits the market has offers no support to your argument about software support.
                  Your cpu hit the market more than 6 years ago...more than a lifetime relative to the world of computing.

Yes, BD processing is much more labor intensive for your system, particularly your cpu.

I'm not trying to sell you something (I'm just another user and have no business ties to Fab), but AGJ is absolutely correct.
                  If you've not used the trial version of Blu-ray Copy, please try this...

Without any compression, rip a BD disc to your hdd with Blu-ray Copy;
                  either Full or Main Movie, but again, do not compress.
                  Now use the BD ripped files as Source for your conversion and yes, this will necessitate another step.
                  (All of us old hands do this, btw...it's much quicker with the later model systems like the core i7 builds and it saves a whole bunch of wear and tear on your BD drive)

What kind of time are you seeing now?
                  I suspect it's going to be slow anyway, but hopefully, this is an improvement.
                  Thanks maineman. My comment was not aimed at the forum as a whole, just the useless unproductive comment that was quoted.

Using my old DVD burner, I was getting movies onto my ipod in a couple of hours tops. I use DMA so as to bypass the processor as much as possible and found that I can't use DMA on the BD drive, so I was just a little bit cheesed off.

I'm very happy with my current machine, it runs well, has never failed me and is still running on the original installation of XP (with updates); I've never had to re-install. Even so, I realise that sooner or later I am going to have to update and when I do it will be with HD and BD viewing in mind and will have the appropriate processor, video card and audio to suit the purpose. In the meantime, I shall try your solution and see if it has any effect on times, otherwise it's back to overnight copying.

Cheers and beers,

Wal

Comment

see your problem is you are comparing dvd rip time to blu-ray rip time and they are not even in the same league. a 50gb disk is obviously going to take a lot longer than a 4gb disk especially on a processor that old.

you said you want a program that works..well it works so why are you complaining. but if you want it to work better/faster then build your own computer as it will be cheaper that way and you will get what you want

Comment

Working...
                    X