Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripped AVI's Subtitles Are Out of Sync (Audio is Fine)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Ripped AVI's Subtitles Are Out of Sync (Audio is Fine)

So this is a weird problem. I recently got the Dragon Ball Z Season One DVD set. (Amazon Link)

I ripped all six DVD in English language and they worked perfectly.

I ripped all six DVDs with the original Japanese language and subtitles (direct render). Discs 2 and 6 seem to be okay. Discs 1, 3, 4, and 5 the subtitles are all out of sync, coming after the spoken word. Note that the audio is fine, there is no syncing issue with the audio at all.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? It seems that I can never win when ripping DVDs with subtitles of any sort.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am having frequent problems with that as well. I hope the developers are reading this post so hopefully they can fix this issue. I am having this issue in DVDFab 8.0.4.0 and all the way to the latest build. In the meantime, I have resorted to a more painful and more time consuming process explained in this thread, post #16 http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=10375&page=2

I am using this method to permanently apply subtitles to AVI files (I am using DVD to mobile option).
    If you are attempting to do the same and intend to follow this guide I suggest, (before you start ripping DVD to your hdd) you edit your profile and change the drop-down option from 'direct render' to 'Extract to idx/sub'.
    I personally do not have much use for 'idx/sub' files so I delete them after ripping is done. I Google for srt files of any given title, download the srt file and then use it in the process that is explained in the post I mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveDVDFab View Post
      I am having frequent problems with that as well. I hope the developers are reading this post so hopefully they can fix this issue. I am having this issue in DVDFab 8.0.4.0 and all the way to the latest build.
      What's even more confusing; this doesn't happen on all DVDs(but it does on majority of them), although I am not changing my profile settings at all. The logs don't tell anything at all since they do not encompass subtitles, therefore it is useless to post them here. Subtitles are usually in sync up to half way into most movies, but after that(on most movies) they tend to lag(appear 5-10 seconds after applicable audio). The only way for developers to troubleshoot this is to try and reproduce this scenario themselves.

Comment

The strange part is that with the Dragon Ball Z DVDs mentioned there's no option to rip individual episodes. Therefore I have to rip 7 episodes to one single file which is nearly 3 hours long. I don't really mind that so much but I'm not sure how to trim them and preserve subtitles as idx/sub.

I suppose I could figure out how to do this by selecting the specific chapters and ripping individually but that's a REALLY laborious process. There are 54 chapters (which you may note is not divisible by 7) so it would be possible to figure this out for each episode but very time consuming.

Comment

Or try this advice by GregiBoy :
          (make sure to go to post #18)

Comment

Thanks for the information! I'll have to give these methods a try.

Wow. I bet people who just pirate all these episodes are reading these posts and laughing at how much work we put into it trying to be legit. :-)

Comment

Okay, so a few questions now that I'm about to get started with this:

There's no way to rip the episodes individually without selecting the specific chapters but since there's not an easily divisible number of chapters per episodes I've been ripping them as one large AVI file from each disc. Each AVI has between 6-7 episodes.

1.) Is there a way to split a SUB/IDX file if I split them up into individual episodes? Should I convert to SSA first?
              2.) Is there a good solid source for SRT files? I haven't found anything reliable.
              3.) What is the best way for me to rip each episode to an individual file in Japanese with English subtitles? Each DVD seems to be different.

Sorry. I've looked around for answers to all these questions but I'm coming up dry. I seem to be the only person interested in actually doing this.

Comment

Working...
              X