X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper PS3 Question

Hello all

I'm very new to all this an need a little help

I wanted to rip one of my dvds to my comp to stream to the ps3 downstairs. I'm currently using a stream program called ps3 media server and it works great! Only issue I'm having is the video looks grainy, what steps do i need to take to make the video look dvd quality

thanks all

Try the VOB passthrough, it will make one file out of the DVD without loss. Since you are streaming from the PC size won't matter.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

How exactly do i do that?

Comment

If it doesn't show up in the left column select "More" and you'll see VOB. If you use the PS3 passthrough it will split the movie at 4GB so don't use that one.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          Try the VOB passthrough, it will make one file out of the DVD without loss.
          If it doesn't show up in the left column select "More" and you'll see VOB. If you use the PS3 passthrough it will split the movie at 4GB so don't use that one.
          I'm also interested in ripping in a "loseless" way (as posted in the other thread), case is that for even if i choose VOB.passthrough profile, it won't show me the "No split" option, it has only 1 and 2GB split

Comment

That is usually because the target drive is formatted as FAT32 which has file size limitations.
            Originally posted by Athanasios2104 View Post
            I'm also interested in ripping in a "loseless" way (as posted in the other thread), case is that for even if i choose VOB.passthrough profile, it won't show me the "No split" option, it has only 1 and 2GB split
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              That is usually because the target drive is formatted as FAT32 which has file size limitations.
              edit: Target drive is in NTFS format already =/

Still, i have couple questions, since i got the dvd copy + ripper bundle and i don't know if i actually need the ripper (still got time to return it).
              First question is if the "VOB.passthrough" profile does what the "Main Movie" option of Copy does; aka copies only the main movie with loseless quality.
              Second, if i move the produced movie folder (video + audio ts) to PS3's hdd, will it play normally with the subtitles? Will i have to load the vobs one by one?
              And last, how would the Ripper come handy in the whole story? To my eyes, instead of sitting in front of the pc and chosing "Main Movie" in Copy every time i want to copy a movie, i could just queue up 40+ movies in the Ripper and get the main movie. Correct?

Btw, sorry for the thread high-jack
              Last edited by Athanasios2104; 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Are you streaming to the PS3 like the OP of this thread? If not the PS3 will not recognize the drive if formatted to NTFS. You have to stream a file larger than 4 GB.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Are you streaming to the PS3 like the OP of this thread? If not the PS3 will not recognize the drive if formatted to NTFS. You have to stream a file larger than 4 GB.
                  I'm not intending to stream (although i can), but i'd like to copy them directly to its hdd.

About the split, must have been a weird bug, i switched the target driver to the internal one (also in ntfs), all the options appeared (including "no split"), then switched back to the externall hdd (ntfs) and now i see all the options for it as well. Figure this out

Btw, would you answer the rest questions? Thanks in advance

Comment

To be honest, I do not bother with game machines that purport to be media players because of the inherent problems involved but use purpose built media players that are not restricted by manufacturers copyright whims like the PS3, so I cannot assist.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

True, i set "4GB split" and it works, the problem is that it won't play the subtitles. Any clue?

Comment

True, i set "4GB split" and it works, the problem is that it won't play the subtitles. Any clue?
                        The PS3 does not support external subtitle files. They must be either burned into the video or included in a DIVX container. There is a third-party program that will take an AVI with XVID video along with external subtitles and create an DIVX file that the PS3 will play (turn on subtitles via remote).

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                          The PS3 does not support external subtitle files. They must be either burned into the video or included in a DIVX container. There is a third-party program that will take an AVI with XVID video along with external subtitles and create an DIVX file that the PS3 will play (turn on subtitles via remote).
                          but the avi codec means losing in quality (in comparison with vob), isn't it?

Comment

Not necessarily.

Try it with a few different settings and see if you can pick the difference and ask some of your friends when they do not know which is which.

You may get a surprise.

Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-05-2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Technically, yes, you would loose some quality. It is not possible to play the original MPEG2 video with subtitles on the PS3. If you want to keep using the PS3 then you might try what GregiBoy suggests.

If you want to maintain the DVD quality and have subtitles then I'd recommend purchasing a different player that supports ISO or DVD folders. That way you can have all the features of the original DVD that you wanted. GregiBoy is an importer of these type of devices so he should be able to give you some good suggestions if that is the way you want to go.

Basically pick 2 of the following 3 choices:

PS3 as the player
                              Original MPEG2 video from the DVD
                              Subtitles

Comment

Working...
                              X