Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are The Highest Quality Settings Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) What Are The Highest Quality Settings Possible?

Hello guys im new to the forums here and not sure if this is the right place to post this at or not (feel free to move thread if not) but I was wondering if someone could help me choose the settings best for video quality. I know about .mkv but prefer to use .mp4 due to it's compatibility and I don't care for Blu Ray extras or subtitles, I just want the video itself. Anyways I plan to store all my owned movies on a 2 TB NAS drive and stream them to my Sony LED, iPhone, PC and Mac, ETC. So my question is for the highest quality Video possible (file size doesn't matter to me) do I 1: check two pass 2: my bit rate slider is currently halfway (I think at something like 5,000 bits) do I slide it all the way to the right (making it around 15,000 bits) and finally 3: I noticed only a few of my are 1920 by 1080 (the rest are like 1920 by 1040 or 1920 by 800) do I create a 1920 by 1080 size for the file, or will that distort the quality?

P.S. Sorry for the sloppy writing but I'm typing on a iPhone and am in a hurry

Hi gogamer2007,

Please understand that you can use MKV.remux profile to do the conversion with no compression and re-encoding, that means you will get the output effet exactly like source disc's video/audio quality.
    If you stick to MP4 option, please give "iPod/iPhone mpeg4 profile, 2-pass" a try, reset aspect ratio according to your device's screen.
    You'd better not use decoder/encoder acceleration, open Common Settings->General->A/V Codec, set all the video decoder options and video encoder options as software before start conversion process.

Kind regards,
    sunny
    ________
    Motorcycle Tires
    Last edited by sunny; 04-21-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sunny

Up until this point I have been using the normal MP4 profile (not iPhone or iPad) with my fixed bit rate at 15000 kbs (I believe thats the higest it allows me to set it) with 1 pass not 2 (I have been having video problems with 2 pass) The MKV profile you mentioned sounds great, but im just concerned with compatibility issues across all the devices I will be using. Do you believe I will see a huge difference between using the MKV and the MP4 im currently using? (I have already done about 10 of my movies in MP4 and I would hate to have to redo them all again unless its a big difference) Also if I stick with the MP4 profile, I noticed some movies aspect ration are 1920 by 800 or 1920 by 1040 (very rarely 1920 by 1080) were as I was playing with the mkv.redux profile, and noticed my movies aspect ration were 1920 by 1080. Should I change all my movies aspect ration to 1920 by 1080? or leave them at the default aspect ratio it picks? As for my a/v encoder/decoder acceleration, I have been using software for all the decoders and software + CUDA for h.264 encoder. Should I change that last one to software only? I have a CUDA Laptop but if it improves the quality im all for it. Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for taking the time to answer them

-gogamer2007

Comment

Originally posted by gogamer2007 View Post
        Hello guys im new to the forums here and not sure if this is the right place to post this at or not (feel free to move thread if not) but I was wondering if someone could help me choose the settings best for video quality. I know about .mkv but prefer to use .mp4 due to it's compatibility and I don't care for Blu Ray extras or subtitles, I just want the video itself. Anyways I plan to store all my owned movies on a 2 TB NAS drive and stream them to my Sony LED, iPhone, PC and Mac, ETC. So my question is for the highest quality Video possible (file size doesn't matter to me) do I 1: check two pass 2: my bit rate slider is currently halfway (I think at something like 5,000 bits) do I slide it all the way to the right (making it around 15,000 bits) and finally 3: I noticed only a few of my are 1920 by 1080 (the rest are like 1920 by 1040 or 1920 by 800) do I create a 1920 by 1080 size for the file, or will that distort the quality?

P.S. Sorry for the sloppy writing but I'm typing on a iPhone and am in a hurry
        I recently went through the same thoughts and hve settled on VOBs for standard DVDs and m2ts for Blueray DVSs. These are the native formats. I am seeing file sizes of 3-6Gb for DVDs and 15-35Gb for Blueray DVDs. I have a streaming server with 8 - 1.5T drives in RAID 5 for 10.5T of storage. I've ripped over 400 DVDs, all of my audio CDs and a handful of Blueray DVDs and have only used around 2.5T of storage so far.

Comment

That's sounds like a awesome setup jbinkley60 if you don't mind me asking, what program are you using to stream the M2TS files to your TV (I'm currently using isedora to stream from my NAS. Also im not going to be adding dvd's to my NAS just blu rays. So VOB doesn't matter to me)

Comment

@TitanFan

Off topic post removed.

Comment

That's sounds like a awesome setup jbinkley60 if you don't mind me asking, what program are you using to stream the M2TS files to your TV (I'm currently using isedora to stream from my NAS. Also im not going to be adding dvd's to my NAS just blu rays. So VOB doesn't matter to me)
              I am using Tversity running on top of Windows 7 Professional x64. It works really well and I can stream to my Netgear box which feeds the big screen and then to any PC on my network (or wireless device). Tversity also has a web interface/server to stream externally, if you have enough bandwidth.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sunny

Up until this point I have been using the normal MP4 profile (not iPhone or iPad) with my fixed bit rate at 15000 kbs (I believe thats the higest it allows me to set it) with 1 pass not 2 (I have been having video problems with 2 pass) The MKV profile you mentioned sounds great, but im just concerned with compatibility issues across all the devices I will be using. Do you believe I will see a huge difference between using the MKV and the MP4 im currently using? (I have already done about 10 of my movies in MP4 and I would hate to have to redo them all again unless its a big difference) Also if I stick with the MP4 profile, I noticed some movies aspect ration are 1920 by 800 or 1920 by 1040 (very rarely 1920 by 1080) were as I was playing with the mkv.redux profile, and noticed my movies aspect ration were 1920 by 1080. Should I change all my movies aspect ration to 1920 by 1080? or leave them at the default aspect ratio it picks? As for my a/v encoder/decoder acceleration, I have been using software for all the decoders and software + CUDA for h.264 encoder. Should I change that last one to software only? I have a CUDA Laptop but if it improves the quality im all for it. Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for taking the time to answer them

-gogamer2007
                if you have a problem with 2-pass, you may have a look here

Comment

Working...
                X