Ripping - CPU Speed / type question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Ripping - CPU Speed / type question

Has anyone done a direct comparison in ripping / encoding speed between an older Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a new i3/i5 processor?

My current system is a Lenovo T61 with a 2Ghz Core 2 processor and 1Gb Ram. I can 'copy' my movies to external drive in about 30 minutes, and it takes just around 3 hours to go from hdd to mp4 (h.264/aac).

We are looking at a new lappy, and if the speed increase is noticable with an i3, even if its only 50% faster, I would spring for one of those, versus the much cheaper Core 2 Duo machines.

Thanks

I am curious if anyone has tried the new i7 2600k series processor to see if it does give a significant boost ? Intel claims a 4X or higher improvement, due to the built-in GPU support. I am curious if DVDFab can take advantage of it and whether there is a significant performance increase. Right now I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.

Comment

well i have an old core 2 quad at 2.4ghz and rip time for me is only about 40min (probably less) for a blu-ray movie that is 30gb+. I would be very surprised if you didnt see rip time cut down a bit.

your ram is also not helping matters either

Comment

@Tunerfreak

Your Core 2 2.4Ghz machine rips a BR in 40 minutes?

What format is that into? MP4?

What Video / Audio encoding?

To go from a DVD to .mp4 (h.264 / AAC) it takes my machine over 3 hours (1 pass)

Comment

Originally posted by Saabaru View Post
          @Tunerfreak

Your Core 2 2.4Ghz machine rips a BR in 40 minutes?

What format is that into? MP4?

What Video / Audio encoding?

To go from a DVD to .mp4 (h.264 / AAC) it takes my machine over 3 hours (1 pass)
          its a core 2 quad NOT duo, just wanted to make sure you knew that but yes 40min i would say would be for around movies that are 20gb or so. I rip it to format m2ts so that i can keep the HD audio for playback on my media player.

dvdfab does seem to slow things down quite a bit i would say because when i use just dvdfab passkey and use tsmuxr to m2ts and get rid of all the stuff i dont need in the movie it takes about 10min less.

for faster conversions though copying the video file to your HD is better than going straight from the dvd itself

Comment

I am curious if anyone has tried the new i7 2600k series processor to see if it does give a significant boost ? Intel claims a 4X or higher improvement, due to the built-in GPU support. I am curious if DVDFab can take advantage of it and whether there is a significant performance increase. Right now I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.
            i have just built my rig with the i7-2600k, ASUS P8P67 PRO motherbaord, i have only done underworld but i didn't time it, i'll do another one soon and let you know.

Comment

Working...
            X