No announcement yet.

Need help adapting a profile from [other software] over to DVDFAB for NookColor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Need help adapting a profile from [other software] over to DVDFAB for NookColor

Hello, I have been a user of DVDFAB for many years. I have not been able to get DVDFAB to give me a 100% reliable conversion for mp4's for use on my nookcolor.

A friend made a movie for me using [other software] on his Mac and it worked and looked magnificent. He gave me the profile, but I only use DVDFAB.

Can someone tell me the way to setup DVDFAB to convert a DVD to mp4 exactly the same way?

It appears the difficult part is that I make small changes in the DVDFAB that makes the DVDFAB profile not compatible. The nookcolor only supports H.264 Baseline for the h.264 movies.

These are the key settings for [other software] (I can also email or post the profile if someone can make the DVDFAB profile for me):

1 Presets window, select High Profile.

2 Select source and destination

3 Picture tab: Set the Anamorphic menu to None. Enter 720 in the Width box, and check the Keep Aspect Ratio button.

4 Video Filters tab: Set Detelecine and Decomb to Off.

5 Video tab: Framerate option as Same as source. If your source is HD video (60fps), change the Framerate to 29.97.

6 Go to the Audio tab: Delete any tracks and have only one track with an Audio Codec that shows up as AAC. On the remaining track, set Mixdown to Stereo, Samplerate to 48, and Bitrate to 128.

7 Advanced tab. Set Maximum B-Frames to 0, and uncheck the CABAC Entropy Coding, 8x8 Transform, and Weighted P-Frames options.
    Last edited by Complication; 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM.

Hi, as no one has replied yet,perhaps I may be able to help you,--I think the NookColor only plays m4v video files,therefore I would like you to make short test conversions using the I.Phone and I.Pad profiles (see also sub-profiles),edit them where necessary (width, bit rate etc),let me know which profiles play reasonably well, including your settings and I will make some profiles for you to try out,

Comment

The profile I was using was the iPad profile. For some reason, some videos would play fine and others would not. For example, I converted several movies and they all played, but in the same batch file I converted several TV episodes using the same profile, but none of them would play.

I converted them using [other software] with the profile info I gave earlier, and they played perfect.

I think the key is the nookcolor for h.264 only uses the "baseline" profile. Do you know how to setup a baseline h.264 profile in DVDFAB?
      Last edited by Complication; 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hi, I am glad you had some success with the DVDFab profiles,I have made (and attatched) various profiles for your NookColour,based on informatiom from you and various web sites, please copy & paste the files into:-
        Program files/DVDFab 8/Profiles Folder,You will be able to select the NookColour profile in either the MP4 or iPAD list of the dvdfab ripper/converter,
        They are NookColour A,B,AA & BB,C,D,CC,& DD, please try them & let me know how you get on.
        Incidentally, I am using DVDFab 8068 on Vista home premium,
        A & AA B & BB are baseline mp4
        C & CC D & DD are baseline mpeg4
        Although I do not have a NookColour,I have found that all of the videos I converted using those profiles worked very well on my Nokia N97 phone (I just had set them @ 640 width) and my phone is very fussy !!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by FABFANATIC; 02-06-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

3 more files;-
          Attached Files

Comment

I posted a profile for the Nookcolor several weeks ago:

It works great. I would use audio at 200%. I still find some movies to low volume.

Comment

Bill, I used your profile, and it worked for several of my videos, but not all. Mostly the problems were on some Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes. Very odd...All the movies played fine though...
              Last edited by xrayengineer; 02-10-2011, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FABFANATIC View Post
                3 more files;-
                FABFAB, thanks for the reply, I will try these as soon as I get home from this business trip I am on. I wont be for several more days, but I will try them and let you know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by xrayengineer View Post
                  Bill, I used your profile, and it worked for several of my videos, but not all. Mostly the problems were on some Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes. Very odd...All the movies played fine though...
                  I did over 300 movies and they worked as far as I know. I suspect some meta-data from the movie. Try a program called MPEG Streamclip to do an MP4 to MP4 conversion. It may fix it.

The other idea is try a program called mp4FastStart. It moves the metadata from the end of the file to the beginning of the file. It may fix it. In my house I have my webserver setup to stream movies to my NC. So I can watch 100's of movies and shows without having to sideload. The metadata has to be at the beginning to do this. I requested this feature in DVDfab but so far no go.

Comment

Originally posted by billbell52 View Post
                    I did over 300 movies and they worked as far as I know. I suspect some meta-data from the movie. Try a program called MPEG Streamclip to do an MP4 to MP4 conversion. It may fix it.

The other idea is try a program called mp4FastStart. It moves the metadata from the end of the file to the beginning of the file. It may fix it. In my house I have my webserver setup to stream movies to my NC. So I can watch 100's of movies and shows without having to sideload. The metadata has to be at the beginning to do this. I requested this feature in DVDfab but so far no go.
                    So Bill, I went back and re-encoded a few clips that I thought were having trouble using your profile. They played fine, and then I played the clips that I did have trouble with, and they played fine. Perhaps my nookcolor was being a little flaky that day?

Comment

Originally posted by FABFANATIC View Post
                      Hi, I am glad you had some success with the DVDFab profiles,I have made (and attatched) various profiles for your NookColour,based on informatiom from you and various web sites, please copy & paste the files into:-
                      Program files/DVDFab 8/Profiles Folder,You will be able to select the NookColour profile in either the MP4 or iPAD list of the dvdfab ripper/converter,
                      They are NookColour A,B,AA & BB,C,D,CC,& DD, please try them & let me know how you get on.
                      Incidentally, I am using DVDFab 8068 on Vista home premium,
                      A & AA B & BB are baseline mp4
                      C & CC D & DD are baseline mpeg4
                      Although I do not have a NookColour,I have found that all of the videos I converted using those profiles worked very well on my Nokia N97 phone (I just had set them @ 640 width) and my phone is very fussy !!
                      FABFAN, you will probably not believe this, but not a single one of the profiles you made me would play on the nookcolor! I was able to play other videos on the nook, however. I have no idea why they would not play?!

Comment

Hi, XRAYENGINEER, sorry to hear none of those worked, but glad you managed get the profile from billbell52 to work.

Having read the various forums relating to NOOKCOLOR, it appears others have had problems getting converted videos to work.

Although I use DVDFab, I do actually use the open source converter that you mention,particularly for my NOKIA phones, as my NOKIA phones play them much better than DVDFab conversions.

Comment

Yes, it appears the nookcolor is a picky device. I even put on my favorite Android video player, the Act1, and it would not play the clips in question either.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

One of the things I have come acros is that it does not appear to like .MP4, but the some file works as a .M4V. MP4 is supposed to work, but I have not been able to make it work.

I have been able to make a iphone/ipad youch profile work on another program but nothing on DVDFab yet. I have been considering nootering it and putting a better video player on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X