BD Ripper (3D Plus) Help determine optimal settings for faster Ripping

Hey guys,

Here is my setup (nothing special)....
    Windows XP
    2GB RAM
    Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    Radeon X300 128MB card
    and a recently installed Pioneer BDR 206 blu ray drive via SATA

I know there are certain settings in DVDfab for faster ripping and compression. I have also heard its recommended to download and use CoreAvc as well. Any help on what settings to adjust and whether or not to buy Coreavc would be very helpful! I am currently ripping my first blu ray to the HD then will compress afterward. Its looking like a ETA of about 3hrs.

Thanks so much!
    Brandon

Update,

The initial ripping process sped up quite a bit after I posted, it only took about 1.5 hrs to rip the 26GB movie.

So I imagine the settings for ripping are sufficient.

My next question is whats the better option for getting the file to play on my PS3 using PMS? This is of course following the initial ripping of the main movie(into an ISO file) using Blu ray copy to my HD. Goal is a file around 10GB. I will be using mkv2vob at the end for PS3 compatibility.

1 - Use bluray copy and shrink it down to BD9, then use this file in bluray ripper and convert to mkv file using mkv.remux(to avoid any more conversions).

2 - Or jump right to Bluray ripper using the original ISO file and convert it using mkv.H264.audiocopy and chose the file size manually?

I want the option that combines speed and quality if possible.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Comment

If your final output is an MKV then you will save time by ripping to a folder rather than to an ISO. To make an ISO, DVDFab rips to a temp folder, makes the ISO from that, and then deletes the temp folder.

Either option should work based on what you are trying to do. Option #2 would seem to have less steps. The good news is that if one option isn't quite working for a particular title then you can try the other.

You will need a quad core processor and/or a CUDA enabled video card to make BD compression go faster. The amount of data being processed is huge compared to DVD.

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Since the end result is an MKV file, I guess I should stick with option #2 then which may shave some time and less steps. Unfortunately a new processor is out but I just order a new Nvidia GEForce GT430 Fermi video card with CUDA. Will just having the new card speed up the encoding a bit? I assume I will need to change the video encoder setting to "Software + CUDA" then?

Thanks,
        B

Originally posted by Complication View Post
        If your final output is an MKV then you will save time by ripping to a folder rather than to an ISO. To make an ISO, DVDFab rips to a temp folder, makes the ISO from that, and then deletes the temp folder.

Either option should work based on what you are trying to do. Option #2 would seem to have less steps. The good news is that if one option isn't quite working for a particular title then you can try the other.

You will need a quad core processor and/or a CUDA enabled video card to make BD compression go faster. The amount of data being processed is huge compared to DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbwb View Post
          Thank you for the reply! Since the end result is an MKV file, I guess I should stick with option #2 then which may shave some time and less steps. Unfortunately a new processor is out but I just order a new Nvidia GEForce GT430 Fermi video card with CUDA. Will just having the new card speed up the encoding a bit? I assume I will need to change the video encoder setting to "Software + CUDA" then?

Thanks,
          B
          The good news! The Nvidia GT430 card is installed and the results are very impressive. Previously with the old ATI card I was averaging between 2-3 FPS for encoding from iso to mkv now so far its averaging over 20 FPS

My settings are everything to CUDA and the last one is "software + CUDA", how do I know if these are optimal?

Thanks!

Comment

Unfortunately, like the rest of us !!!

Trial & Error !!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              Unfortunately, like the rest of us !!!

Trial & Error !!!

Some help you are

Kidding.

I will play around with the settings as I dig in deeper, but as of now, just adding the Nvidia card has given me a speed increase of almost 3 times faster!

Comment

Honestly, I really would do some objective testing to optimise your machine.

Pretty hard for us to pinpoint any particular area as there are so many configuration permutations and combinations.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                X