DVD to Ipad - Choppy - Workaround Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to Ipad - Choppy - Workaround Found

Dvd Fab 8.7.0.3, Windows 7/64 Bit, HP Touchsmart Computer.

I have tried to rip several dvds for my Ipad and each time the video would play on the ipad and itunes but be very choppy.

I tried the instructions: Convert-DVD-to-iPad in the Dvd Fab tutorial. Still Choppy.

I finally tried the Apple TV setting in Dvd Fab instead of the Ipad setting and snap!, it works. Just for giggles, I tried to copy all Apple TV settings to the Ipad settings such as bit rate, frame rate, video settings (all of them). Still choppy! When the file is created from the Apple TV setting it has an mp4 extension. When the files are created in the ipad setting they get the the .m4v extension. Not sure what the difference is. All I can say is that the .mp4 files created from the Apple Tv setting play nicely on the ipad when the .m4v files created from the ipad setting do not.

Seems that some people have no problem with the ipad settings and some people do. Why would this be?

Hi Westport,

Please post your logs.

The default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Thanks.

Regards,

mona
    Last edited by Mona; 02-14-2011, 04:00 AM.

Comment

I'm curious about this a well being a new iPad owner! I'm not having choppy playback having used the iPad profile (m4v file plays fine in iPads default video player). However I have noticed A very subtle video/audio sync alignment problem.

Alternatively I loaded VLC onto my iPad to view the file that way and it looked terrible! Choppy playback and dreadful picture quality full of artefacts. I may therefore experiment with the Apple TV profile as suggested.

As a side issue I've reported a bug whereby if CUDA acceleration is activated on the iPad profile, the devices player crashes if playback is halted by the home button. Oddly, ripping with all encoding set to 'software only' cures the problem. This still seems a problem in 8.07.3 - or of course with my rig!

Comment

Just a quick update ... I have now all but abandoned use of the iPad profile and CUDA acceleration.

The AppleTV profile produces sublime quality on my iPad with perfectly aligned audio/video and no crash problems (standard 768x576 PAL rips). Newer DVDs with proper 1024x768 widescreen res are similarly perfectly handled with the generic MP4 profile.

Files are sync'd to iPad using iTunes are look stunning.

Indeed a quick comparison with another program (xxx seem to have CUDA rip sussed) suggests that DVDfab is ripping just as fast set at 'software only' and produces superior results.
        Last edited by AGJ; 02-27-2011, 08:11 PM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

Working...
        X