Title Start-End Subtitle Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title Start-End Subtitle Problem

I've noticed, at a friend of me, that whenever he backsup a DVD onto his HDD and wants to make a conversion of it (say 2cd into xvid), he always runs into trouble with the 2nd disc's subtitles.

I took a look at it and found the following. (I will use a 2h00m disc-example with 20 chapters as example)

- When a DVD is ripped to 'disc-1' from chapter 1 to 10 and has a length of 1h00m and 'disc-2' from chapter 11 to 20, the timecode for chapter 11 to 20 is not reset from scratch.

This means, that if the subtitles are extracted for 'disc-2' the subtitles start from 01:00:00 to 02:00:00. This results in an offset of 1h00m.

Using the defunkt DVD-Decrypter using a chapter/cell rip extracting the same chapters [11 to 20] I noticed that this program extracts ALL subtitles from chapter1 to 20. Then it's possible using VStrip to select the chapters [11 to 20] to extract the subtitles using a reset-timecode from chapter.

So, rather than to use 3rd party utils, my friend would like to have an update in DVDFab, where the subtitles are properly 'resetted' to the new timecode of the output that is made.
    This would make his 'disc-2' with video from 1'00''00 2'00''00, where video is resetted also has resetted subtitle-timecodes, so his conversions are playable with subtitles.

Reason I posted this, his English is even worse than mine and he asked me to post a forum-request for an update to this. And he is eager for it to have it fixed.

Hi mmd,

When a DVD is ripped to 'disc-1' from chapter 1 to 10, set the output type for subpicture. Start the conversion process.

After finish the process, go back to the title lists, set chapter range from chapter 11 to 20, reselect subtitle stream, set the output subpicture as extracted or rendered to start the second conversion process.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sunny; 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny View Post
      Hi mmd,

When a DVD is ripped to 'disc-1' from chapter 1 to 10, set the output type for subpicture. Start the conversion process.

After finish the process, go back to the title lists, set chapter range from chapter 11 to 20, reselect subtitle stream, set the output subpicture as extracted or rendered to start the second conversion process.

Hope this helps.
      Maybe you misunderstood me, or not.
      He doesn't convert with DVDFab, he just wants to extract the 2nd-part with subtitles. This proces normally goes fine, except for the fact when EXTRACTING the subtitles from the .VOB's it clearly shows an OFFSET for the subtitles.

Why would -reselecting- the subtitles help? Should this then ONLY use chapter 11 to 20? and RE-TIME the subtitles within ? I'll let him try that, but my guess is that it will not be 're-set' to the new time-code for 'disc-2'.

Comment

Hi mmd,

It seems there is a little misunderstanding here, please suggest your friend upgrade to DVDFab 8.0.7.6 Beta at

use DVD Copy- Main Movie, click on "Title start/end settings" , set chapters [11 to 20], he will get "MainMovie" folder with subtitle rendered into vobs, then he need use DVD Ripper- to avi, add this "MainMovie" folder as source, select profile "generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy" to convert xvid file.
        Last edited by sunny; 03-02-2011, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny View Post
          Hi mmd,

It seems there is a little misunderstanding here, please suggest your friend upgrade to DVDFab 8.0.7.6 Beta at

use DVD Copy- Main Movie, click on "Title start/end settings" , set chapters [11 to 20], he will get "MainMovie" folder with subtitle rendered into vobs, then he need use DVD Ripper- to avi, add this "MainMovie" folder as source, select profile "generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy" to convert xvid file.
          The ripping of the movie is no problem. It's when it comes to the 2nd part of the ripping, then the movie is fine, subtitles are IN the vob, but these start at the timeframe/code where disc-2 continues.

Meaning, if disc-1 is 1h00m00s then the subtitles for disc-2 start at 1h00m01s and the video for disc-2 start at 0h00m00s (as it should).
          So the subtitles are 1h00m00s offset. This is clearly shown in the IDX of the subtitles when extracted.

Comment

Ok.

Went to my buddy, got the latest beta, did a 2 disc rip.

First disc RIP/COPY VIDEO/AUDIOwent fine, including the subitles.
            Second disc RIP/COPY VIDEO/AUDIO went fine, SUBTITLES were (again) offset by the length of disc-1.

To give you a visual example:

# English
            id: en, index: 0
            # Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
            # alt: English
            # Vob/Cell ID: 1, 1 (PTS: 0)
            timestamp: 00:57:49:327, filepos: 000000000
            timestamp: 00:57:50:447, filepos: 000000800
            timestamp: 00:57:54:567, filepos: 000001800
            This means disc2's subtitles have a 57m49s offset. Meaning, the subtitles will never show up when disc-2 is converted with an external program to xvid and using eg. VLC/MS Mediaplayer to also play the subtitles.

Note that when the Directly Ripped DVD-RIP is played directly, in eg. VLC, both video/audio and subtitles for disc-2 shows fine, including a resetted time-code for video.
            However, when subtitles are extracted from this rip, it results in an offset, with the length of disc-1 added.

Hope this clearifies it a bit.

For now, the ONLY, and very timeconsuming, remedy is:
            1. COPY/RIP the movie into its disc-1 and disc-2 [for audio and video]
            2. COPY/RIP the ENTIRE movie AGAIN in FULL.
            3. Use VStrip to extract the subtitles from the ENTIRE movie-rip, then selecting the proper chapters and resetting the timecode to 00:00 from the start of the XX'th chapter.

Comment

Working...
            X