Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Recommended Filesize for Extracted MKV

Hi everyone:

I'm attempting to rip all of my Blu Ray discs to MKV to ultimately stream through AppleTV/XBMC. I'm finding, however, that I'm constantly having to buffer, which takes a good minute and a half.

I'm doing my best to rip everything in such a way that the video and audio are still great quality. I've been using the MKV audiopass profile, as the Remux profile does not let me compress, and the ultimate filesize is just way too big to stream.

Can someone recommend a standard fixed bitrate, or in the alternative, a fixed filesize you've been using where the film still looks and sounds fantastic but the filesize isn't very large?

The files I've been having issues with are 8-10 GB.

Many thanks to all,

SM

You will want to look at the network infrastructure you are using to stream. Hopefully you are a wired gigabyte connection all around.

In my previous tests, there was not a way to set a maximum bitrate when re-encoding with DVDFab. You might try doing a BD9 copy first and then do a MKV remux. BD9 will have a maximum 48Mbit/s based on the BD specification. Even limited to the BD specification, a 100MB wired network will have trouble keeping up at maximum. Wired networks handle about 1/3 their theoretical maximum in practice.

Comment

Working...
    X